Author Topic: The Dresden Files RPG -- Information Thread  (Read 75882 times)

Offline Aerhen

• Conversationalist
  • Aspiring Writer... or is that Perspiring
    • View Profile
Re: The Dresden Files RPG -- Information Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 10:02:20 PM »
I guess i will wait until i get accepted into the alpha or beta testing than... :P  i can see alot of different ways that powers can be respresented... and i am curious than about which dynamics you will use.. havent seeen a work up yet online of 3.0... so i will look more.. and i like the core concept of SotC.  Curious as well how u will deal with advancement.. because SotC is a fairly static in skill advancement, it seems to suggests buy more stunts, and more aspects, and fate points... but i am very excited ... and looking forward to testing the ideas... i luv gaming..

thanks for the opportunity even to talk about it in these forums..

Offline DrygonDM

• Posty McPostington
  • Random Encounter #13
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon's Den
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2008, 08:50:41 PM »
There is an entire spectrum of RPGs out there, and I would advise you to do some research before buying many of them. On one end of the spectrum you will find rules-lite systems (or some with essentially no rules) which are designed to get people telling stories together. On the other end are rules-heavy systems, which are designed to be more "realistic" simulations of a particular setting. I find that 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons, for example, is a very popular game but is very hard to learn by yourself.
True: but there are lots of people out here that are willing to help others learn. And not just for D&D 3e.
Check out your local Gaming and Comic Book Stores and you should be able to find at least a few Gamers.

Another place to check would be the RPGA's Convention Website for a Con full of RPG fanitics that you can attend:
http://events.wizards.com/rpgaweb/external/calendar.asp

Dresden Files is going to be released using the FATE game system, and you can get free information from http://www.faterpg.com/dl/. If you’re new to RPGs you might find someone who already plays to teach you (it’s much easier to learn by example) or download free RPGs like FATE and read about it yourself. Give it a try and don’t worry about messing up the rules too much. Go in to have fun. I’ve been playing RPGs since 1975, have read and/or played dozens of game systems, and have been a playtester for several games. It’s a great hobby and one you can enjoy for years to come. I’m teaching my children about RPGs and they love it, too.
Having Fun is the entire point of Roleplaying. I mean, if it's not fun, then go play your Nintendo / Wii / X-Box / etc
- or watch a movie; or read a book; or hang out with friends; or do something else that you enjoy.

The secret to any RPG is having trust in the person running the game. That person invests a lot of time creating a situation for the players to experience. However, with that power comes the responsibility of running a game where the players can change events. (Many Game Masters seem to enjoy a process called "railroading" where an adventure is linear like a book or movie, and no matter what the players do they will arrive at exactly the same ending. Most players hate this and would rather read a book or watch a movie.) If your players trust you to run a good game, you can probably run any rules system in any campaign world and people will have fun.
Very nice advice. I wish that there were more people like finarvyn to play with near me!!

Good luck, and if you have questions be sure to ask.
This goes from me as well.
Respect must be earned.

If, in the Land of the Blind, the One Eyed Man is King - imagine the power of anyone that can clearly see !!!

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 09:04:12 PM »
Ok, here at work the RPG's page is blocked by the fire wall because it falls under the "games" category of things to block so the employees might actually get some work done. Do we have an official release date for the rule books yet?
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 09:46:57 PM »
Ok, here at work the RPG's page is blocked by the fire wall because it falls under the "games" category of things to block so the employees might actually get some work done. Do we have an official release date for the rule books yet?
http://drivingblind.livejournal.com/343799.html
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 09:55:35 PM »
Awesome. Many thanks, a site that isn't blocked. :)

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 10:16:28 PM »
If Evil Hat's website isn't blocked either, multiple designer blogs (and the dresdenfilesrpg.com news feed) are all aggregated on the "blogs" page that you can get to clicking on the blogs button at the top of www.evilhat.com
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2008, 05:46:30 PM »
Quote from: iago
Shadow of the Century: A "sequel" to Spirit of the Century set in 1984. . . Imagine the A-Team written by Chandler.
That sounds almost as cool as the DF game is gonna be.  ;D
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Hoodooed

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2008, 05:10:44 PM »
Is there an actual, updated, official, FAQ for the Dresden Files RPG?

I had been looking back through the archives here, at the Yahoo Group, a blog or two, and a few posts at RPG net to see what the official word on the game and it’s features were.  A lot of things have changed since 06 and it can be hard to keep track of the current word. I am not complianing, just too hooked on the idea of playing (and getting ready too) for my own good already... :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 06:11:42 PM by Hoodooed »

Offline Snod

• Participant
  • Lust and need murdered my reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 12:33:02 AM »
Awesome, thanx for the info about the rpg. I've never played before, but I certainly want to try, considering it's a dresden files based one.

Offline Kuvah

• Lurker
  • I'm the new Blackstaff McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2008, 01:56:57 AM »
well i cant wait for this game to drop, probably the only game ill keep a constant vigilance for. the fact that its a rpg makes it all the better, longer game time and more content versus turn based and platformers. all i can say and hope for is that for this rpg i hope they dont pull some Final Fantasy stuff and make the battle system turn based. i absolutely hate turn based fighting, so pointless. but whats this ink and paper thing i read about? never heard that phrase before, but i digress.
Silvery moon, washed in blood Led astray into the night,
armed with sword of broken Light,
Broken, then betrayed by one, standing there bestride the sun,
At darkest hour, redemption comes, in Knightly lady sworn to blood.

"Poem of the Sun"
Lady Malvash, advisor to Kael'thas Sunstrider

Offline MerriSedai

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2008, 02:34:55 AM »
Do we have a release date for the game?  I'm relatively new to this site and having trouble reading through everything.
Damn it, Harry!  That's not a plan, it's a Looney Tune!

Offline DrygonDM

• Posty McPostington
  • Random Encounter #13
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon's Den
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2008, 09:05:35 AM »
Kuvah and MerriSedai Welcome to the Site.

Last I heard, we had already passed the end of the "Alpha Testing" period, and they were supposed to be doing "Beta Testing" soon.

Wish I had more to offer - sorry.

By the way - if you have not had the chance yet, go say "Hello" in the Introduction Thread in MacAnally's
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,8655.0.html
Respect must be earned.

If, in the Land of the Blind, the One Eyed Man is King - imagine the power of anyone that can clearly see !!!

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2008, 07:44:31 PM »
Actually they're doing the second round of Alpha Testing right now. First was the Bleeding Alpha, now is the Burning Alpha. But unfortunately, still no release date. :( It'll show up eventually though I'm sure.

Offline beardOsaurus

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2008, 03:01:08 AM »
I was getting ready to start another round of Champions Pen and Paper with my group, and we were all talking about how great a Dresden-verse RPG would be the greatest thing ever.

I can't believe this. It's so awesome.

(I'm sorry I didn't post my hello thread in the McAnally's Thread. I am a total idiot.)

Offline DrygonDM

• Posty McPostington
  • Random Encounter #13
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon's Den
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2008, 04:03:57 PM »
See ... it's working! More recruits to the RPG world.

New recruits are always a welcome sight.
Respect must be earned.