Author Topic: Monkey Paw?  (Read 5088 times)

Offline Gilesth

• Participant
    • View Profile
Monkey Paw?
« on: October 31, 2009, 06:18:55 PM »
I had a thought the other day...

On an episode of The Monkeys, and on the Simpsons, an item showed up called a Monkey's Paw...an item that allows the user to make up to four wishes (I think) without limitations.  How is DFRPG going to handle items like that?  I mean, if I were to play a mundane police officer, is there a way for my GM to put together a wishing item that would allow me to become a wizard?  I know it would be lame...but it was a thought that MY players would be likely to come up with (they're tricky that way).
I write, I game, I read.  I'm a nerd, married to a nerd, and I'm proud of it!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Monkey Paw?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 06:21:04 PM »
On an episode of The Monkeys, and on the Simpsons, an item showed up called a Monkey's Paw...an item that allows the user to make up to four wishes (I think) without limitations.  How is DFRPG going to handle items like that?  I mean, if I were to play a mundane police officer, is there a way for my GM to put together a wishing item that would allow me to become a wizard?  I know it would be lame...but it was a thought that MY players would be likely to come up with (they're tricky that way).

The heck with the RPG, how is the Dresden Files universe supposed to handle something like that?  That energy has to come from somewhere.  My bet is that if it exists at all in the Dresdenverse -- and I would make no guarantees that it *could* -- that it'd be an artifact of dark, Outsider-driven potential considered far more dangerous than anything Kemmler and his disciples ever toyed with.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline ClarkValentine

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Monkey Paw?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:17:56 AM »
The item itself would be a plot device - you don't need rules to tell you how that works. The consequences, on the other hand, are handled rather elegantly by the system. Chances are you'd take a brand new aspect reflecting the unintended consequences of your wish. Your character probably won't like it. Also, welcome to Lawbreaker status, as you've just consorted with Outsiders.

Please remain where you are, the Wardens will be by to execute you momentarily.

That's how I'd handle it at my table, anyway.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:20:48 AM by ClarkValentine »
- Clark Valentine

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 04:37:20 PM »
I think that the most sensible DF version of such an item would allow a person to become an Emissary of Power. It doesn't strictly speaking grant a wish so much as it physically represents a pact with some dark power. Using it would alter your high concept Aspect in an appropriate way and grant access to applicable supernatural powers -- at their normal Refresh cost, of course.

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 07:50:54 PM »
In case anyone is interested, here's the original short story from 1906: http://www.americanliterature.com/Jacobs/SS/TheMonkeysPaw.html

I think I first encountered it in a high school English reader.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:27:21 AM by ludomaniac »
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 09:59:50 PM »
I think the Twilight Zone did one episode with that story as well.
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline Piotr1600

• Posty McPostington
  • Not *quite* the Eye of Providence...
    • View Profile
    • Go For Throttle Up - Music you haven't heard
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:55:29 PM »
As long as you keep the flavor of the original story in mind - yes, you get wishes, but the damned thing *will* twist whatever you wish for into something horrible that you'll have to deal with...

And, the "overly clever" types who spend days working out highly legalisticaly termed conditions and clarifications etc.?
As a DM, for items like this, I always made the wish to be the first sentence, break, comma, whatever..

Player: "I wish for unending wealth, that -"
DM Voice in Player head: "Done!"
Player: "But I wasn't finished! That wasn't what I wanted!!" <angst> <woe><misery>
DM Voice in Player head?"BWWHHAA HA HA HA HA! Foolish Mortal - trifling with powers beyond your ken! Bwwwaaah! Ha Ha HA HAAA!"

Or sometimes it wouldn't work at all with the run-on blather - if I was feeling extra nice or if the player was too shiny-new.

IMAO - It's pretty much got to be a dark aspected item.
Powerful - Who's to say that it doesn't have a personality and or preferences of it's own, complete with resentments and hatreds.
Think a wish-granting, Necro-Bob flavored item!

These are things that are system independent - once you have the concept of what it's going to do, you can tailor appropriately...
My band: http://www.soundclick.com/goforthrottleup -

The real problem with the shallow end of the gene pool is that it isn’t deep enough to allow the depth charges to arm. - By "Hardware" on Larry Correia's website.