Author Topic: what playable stuff are you hoping for?  (Read 59478 times)

Offline rickayelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: what playable stuff are you hoping for?
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2009, 01:07:16 AM »
Are the were form or the emmissaries of power subject to the laws of magic? If Samantha the were-panther takes on panther form to kill a rapist has she vilated the first law? If Jim the emmissary uses the power to control someones thoughts has he violated the fourth law?

Offline rickayelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2009, 01:24:58 AM »
Will there be rules for hellfire and soulfire? On another thread you said that there are going to be rules for common ritual magic that is usable by anyone who can get their hands on a grimoire, how rare are the grimoires going to be, and how much would it cost to start play with one?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2009, 02:11:52 AM »
In the minor talent template it says that you can take one refresh 1 or 2 supernatural power. What kind of things are possible with refresh 1 or 2 powers?

That's sort of a long answer and I'm short on time. Think "Ordo Lebes" for some of it, though.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline rickayelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2009, 12:41:46 AM »
I was looking through my shadowrun books last night and it got me wondering if there is going to be anything like the physical adept in the dfrpg?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #184 on: September 13, 2009, 01:38:24 AM »
I was looking through my shadowrun books last night and it got me wondering if there is going to be anything like the physical adept in the dfrpg?
We're only supporting canonical Dresden Files character types, but we're going as broadly with those as we can manage.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2009, 05:00:52 PM »
Besides a lot of the things a canonical changeling can do (Kincaid, Meryl, etc) are similar to physical adepts. It would be very easy to modify a changeling to an adept that channels magic through their body. They should have less potential than a changeling, but they would never have to face the choice.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline skakid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2009, 08:22:06 PM »
Anything "historical" included? 
I'm thinking of running a modified Dresden/Steampunk mashup once the game is released.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Anything "historical" included? 
I'm thinking of running a modified Dresden/Steampunk mashup once the game is released.

We're focusing on playing in the modern day, though honestly I think it wouldn't be difficult at all to adapt.
Fred Hicks

Offline rickayelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2009, 07:58:46 PM »
Are the were form or the emmissaries of power subject to the laws of magic? If Samantha the were-panther takes on panther form to kill a rapist has she vilated the first law? If Jim the emmissary uses the power to control someones thoughts has he violated the fourth law? 

Will there be rules for hellfire and soulfire? On another thread you said that there are going to be rules for common ritual magic that is usable by anyone who can get their hands on a grimoire, how rare are the grimoires going to be, and how much would it cost to start play with one? 

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2009, 08:24:44 PM »
I'm pretty certain that the Laws of Magic are for human practitioners of magic. This is probably because they're enforced by the White Council, and they don't exactly have the power to make these things stick against Faerie or one of the vampire courts.

So a were-panther killing someone wouldn't draw down the ire of the Council. Of course, if Samantha made it a habit to go around killing all sorts of folks with her powers, eventually someone on the Council will decide that she's too dangerous to let live and try to take her out.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2009, 09:27:58 PM »
I'm with TheMouse on this one. It's about mortal practitioners, and about enforcement. Shapeshifting into a panther is legal (you can transform yourself) and killing someone with your claws is legal (that's not magic, that's claws -- there's a reason the Wardens kill with swords).  Your emissary is in interesting territory -- that's probably a mortal practitioner doing the deed, but they're under the aegis of whatever political/supernatural entity they're an emissary for.  I'd say it's a violation of the law as far as the Council sees it, but diplomatic entanglements will make enforcement difficult.  But, there's also a "the-reality-of-how-breaking-the-laws-affects-you" side to the laws in the RPG, so I'd say you probably still get dinged by the 'Lawbreaker' effect, mechanically, regardless of whether or not you can evade the political consequences.

And yes, there will be (light) rules for hellfire and soulfire.

The grimoires will be every bit as rare as they are in the novels... unless the GM decides otherwise.
Fred Hicks

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
And yes, there will be (light) rules for hellfire and soulfire.

Excellent. I'm not certain that I will want to take my game in that direction, but I like having the options available. I might, for example, spaz out and decide to take inspiration from Supernatural and do a war between Heaven and Hell.

Offline rickayelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 22, 2009, 07:41:11 AM »
In the novella Backup it has an antagonist that gains magical power by merging her soul with a spirit. It also mentions a group of people that gain superhuman physical abilities by grafting the  limbs of beings from the nevernever to their bodies. Will there be rules for such things.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2009, 03:47:42 PM »
In the novella Backup it has an antagonist that gains magical power by merging her soul with a spirit. It also mentions a group of people that gain superhuman physical abilities by grafting the  limbs of beings from the nevernever to their bodies. Will there be rules for such things.

No explicit rules, but it'd be easy to implement. We're not covering Backup in the core.
Fred Hicks

Offline skakid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2009, 05:56:30 PM »
I'd think maybe a takeoff of the Emissary template? 
Maybe all it would be is a flavor change.