Author Topic: Spoiler Code?  (Read 17033 times)

Offline Dapper Dan

• Participant
  • Angelic Troublemaker
    • View Profile
    • Screen-Gems
Spoiler Code?
« on: May 28, 2006, 12:06:14 AM »
I noticed that in several forums there are separate threads on the same topic....  "spoilers" and "no spoilers"  If you have the ability to add custom BB codes the addition of a spoiler code could cut down on some of the confusion and need for extra threads / forums...
if you're not completely offended; then you're not paying attention

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
  • Don't mess with my man Harry, dig?
    • View Profile
Re: Spoiler Code?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 04:33:36 AM »
I noticed that in several forums there are separate threads on the same topic....  "spoilers" and "no spoilers"  If you have the ability to add custom BB codes the addition of a spoiler code could cut down on some of the confusion and need for extra threads / forums...
This is an interesting thought - if threads could be marked for spoilers (i.e., S-D7 would be a spoiler for Dresden Files #7, or some such) then theoretically each member could have a 'spoiler tolerance' chart.  So if my chart is set to D8, CA2 then the forum doesn't show me posts listed as spoilers for Dresden Files #8 and Codex #2.  If spoilers don't bug you then you just don't change your setting and all the posts are there for you.  When you get caught up you change your spoiler tolerance and voila!, you now get all the posts. :)

Neat idea.  Prolly a heckuva lotta freakin' work tho.
Chad Mitchell

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes. Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Dapper Dan

• Participant
  • Angelic Troublemaker
    • View Profile
    • Screen-Gems
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 05:11:13 AM »
I noticed that in several forums there are separate threads on the same topic.... "spoilers" and "no spoilers" If you have the ability to add custom BB codes the addition of a spoiler code could cut down on some of the confusion and need for extra threads / forums...
This is an interesting thought - if threads could be marked for spoilers (i.e., S-D7 would be a spoiler for Dresden Files #7, or some such) then theoretically each member could have a 'spoiler tolerance' chart. So if my chart is set to D8, CA2 then the forum doesn't show me posts listed as spoilers for Dresden Files #8 and Codex #2. If spoilers don't bug you then you just don't change your setting and all the posts are there for you. When you get caught up you change your spoiler tolerance and voila!, you now get all the posts. :)

Neat idea. Prolly a heckuva lotta freakin' work tho.

LOL... wow that would be a lot of work but really cool in the long run....  I'm not that advanced of a coder though.  I was referring to the addition of a simple BBC code so you could do something like [*spoiler] blah blah blah [*/spoiler]
if you're not completely offended; then you're not paying attention

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 05:20:45 AM »
I'll go even more dirt simple for you.

Post spoilers in the spoilers forums.

:)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline neminem

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 07:17:58 PM »
Actually, I would say it would be  simpler for all concerned, in terms of having to check fewer subforums, if there were a spoiler tag. Now, if this forum implementation doesn't have one, no big deal, but if it's an option somewhere, it would be cool to turn it on. UnMod.org's new forums just added them, for instance, and they look quite nice. Basically, they create a button you have to click on for the text inside the spoiler to appear.

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
  • Don't mess with my man Harry, dig?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 10:35:39 PM »

Oh, well gee, if you wanna be *simple* about things!  Gah! ;)
Chad Mitchell

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes. Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Darla

• Conversationalist
  • Charter member Bookstore Commandos
    • View Profile
    • Nichtszusagen
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 01:52:06 PM »
Actually, I would say it would be  simpler for all concerned, in terms of having to check fewer subforums, if there were a spoiler tag. Now, if this forum implementation doesn't have one, no big deal, but if it's an option somewhere, it would be cool to turn it on. UnMod.org's new forums just added them, for instance, and they look quite nice. Basically, they create a button you have to click on for the text inside the spoiler to appear.

Ah, but people have to remember to use it, and it makes more work for the moderators to police it. 

<shrugs> 
Darla 
Currently reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers. — A Bit of Fry and Laurie

Offline Ellie Mae

• Participant
  • You know where to find me
    • View Profile
    • Empire of the Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 11:02:39 PM »

This software does have a mod for spoiler tags, I use it on my own forum. 

The only problem with this method is with how you view the posts.  For example if you are just going to a specific board/threads, then you will avoid the thread called 'xxxxx spoiler'  BUT if you are using the 'view the last 10 posts on the forum' link or if you switch on the 'view unread posts' option, then all the posts will be displayed whether they are spoilers or not.

You're a Wizard Harry!

~ Books ~ Writing ~ Art ~

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 11:14:40 PM »
I totally understand with the "last 10 posts" thing, but my hope is that people can figure that maybe they shouldn't look at that if they're worried about being spoilerized.  For me, the effort-to-benefit ratio's better if we segregate by forum category.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 01:45:48 AM »
Why fix it if it ain't broke?  ::)
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

Offline XavierDLH

• Conversationalist
  • Bringing down the walls of Wonderland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 04:18:09 PM »

Broken

Sorry. Pet peeve of mine. ;)
When the senses get ecstatic
Overflow is automatic
Feel the need to be erratic
Don't deny it; let it flow

-- Def Leppard - Go

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 05:19:16 PM »

Broken

Sorry. Pet peeve of mine. ;)

:D You fix "broke" but you don't fix "ain't"?  Never watch Firefly; you'd have an anneurism.

Offline neminem

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 07:46:48 PM »

Borken

Fixed ;). No pun intended.

P.S. Many of the uses of "broke" in Firefly are grammatical even under his rules - things like "cap'n, the foo's broke". 's, after all, can mean "has" as well as "is".

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 07:57:19 PM »
My comment is also rather ironic in that I just accidentally wrote a spoiler in a spoiler free zone.  :-[
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl