Author Topic: This is an ON TOPIC discussion board  (Read 36861 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
This is an ON TOPIC discussion board
« on: May 25, 2006, 05:46:01 PM »
This board is specifically, only for on-topic discussion of the Codex Alera series of books.  Please do your best to stay on-topic.  Moderators will take action with folks who routinely fail to stay on topic.  If you want to discuss something off-topic, take it over to the McAnally's (Anything Goes!) board.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 05:50:05 PM by iago »
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
Re: This is an ON TOPIC discussion board
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 03:27:52 PM »
I've just started reading the Codex Alera books and was wondering if I missed why Tavi doesn't have the power of furycrafting like everyone else seems to have, is that explained somewhere in the books, maybe later, or did I miss it in "Furies of Calderon".  I'm only on page 367 right now, yes, I'm a very slow reader, but I am enjoying the book..that and I'm reading Shannon's "The Sentinel Wars" books at the same time.
I believe in True Love, Susan and Harry will always be the one true love, because even reminders of that love will always remain.

"(Love) It lingers on in the energy of their lives, even when they are apart." (Blood Rites)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:09:23 PM »
Just keep readin'. Trust Jim to give you the info you need when you need it. He's good like that. :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 04:25:18 PM »
Thanks, Shecky, I appreciate it *S* Beginning to really like these books nearly as much as TDF, glad I started them.
I believe in True Love, Susan and Harry will always be the one true love, because even reminders of that love will always remain.

"(Love) It lingers on in the energy of their lives, even when they are apart." (Blood Rites)

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 06:39:06 AM »
I am re reading them, Ali. Its amazing you start looking at things and a lightbulb goes on above your head and you think, "Oh yeah, the clue to that was way back in book 1"
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »
Oh so cool, I can't wait, I'm really enjoying this book so much more than I originally thought I would, as much as I do the Dresden Files, which is amazing, I never thought a book would get me going like these do, I love how JB works with the mind and the detail which is put into the book, the way he paints a picture in so many different ways....just incredible!

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 04:03:58 PM »
Oh so cool, I can't wait, I'm really enjoying this book so much more than I originally thought I would, as much as I do the Dresden Files, which is amazing, I never thought a book would get me going like these do, I love how JB works with the mind and the detail which is put into the book, the way he paints a picture in so many different ways....just incredible!
I agree entirely. I can't wait for his steampunk series. I'm reading Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff at the moment and that is excellent.
I love Roman history as well so sorcery in a pseudo Roman setting rocks.
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline Lorac625

• Lurker
  • Why not GP? She'd make a great Charity Carpenter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 06:07:40 AM »
I'm probably not in the right place,as usual,however

Why Roman? I have a BA and most of an MA in Classics,so I know there is lots of info,but why not phalanxes or cavalry?  It's even mentioned that large animals (ie horses) are useful and powerful.  Personal preference is certainly an acceptable answer;I'm just rereading all my JB books- all that I know of (Skin Games is great!!!)- and i am just curious.  Wondered if it was due to the skittishness horses would probably display around furycrafting,or difficulty with precision while mounted or... whatever.  Just asking!  Love Ancient Roman theme,no quarrel there,just nosy,I guess.
   I don't think this is a spoiler.  If you do,please tell me.
Oh,gods,not more letters!!!  It took me 20 tries to register! And I couldn't get sound on my iPad.
Unfortunately,I have found that reading a book or two a day does not keep the doctor away...but maybe that's a good thing since my terriffic hubby is also a great hospitalist -and fencer!   Lorac625

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 09:59:17 PM »
no, that's not a spoiler, and I'm sorry I can't answer that question, I know I do enjoy Roman history, there is so much which I grew up learning about it, though I did learn more about Norse history from my Father, who's Dad came from Norway, I still find the Roman History of great interest. 

I love both the CA and TDF books, they are different, yet in some ways there are similarities I've found in both that I love.   I hope you look over the board and find other threads you enjoy, too, this is a great place to be. :)

Offline Mythcantor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 11:58:06 PM »
Why Roman? I have a BA and most of an MA in Classics,so I know there is lots of info,but why not phalanxes or cavalry? 

It comes from the genesis of the novel. The novel came out of dispute with another aspiring author over whether good ideas or good writing were necessary to make novels successful. Jim was in the good writing camp, saying that even terrible, tried and tired ideas could be given life by skilled writing. As a challenge, he told the other author to give him two terrible ideas and he'd turn them into a masterwork.

The first idea the other author came up with was "lost Roman legions" because the plot element had been way overdone. So, the people of Alera came from the IX Hispana Legion. The other idea was "Pokémon."
“Hope is a force of nature. Don't let anyone tell you different.”
― Jim Butcher, Changes

“But you can't kill me, Lord Tyrant. I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope.”
― Brandon Sanderson, Mistborn: The Final Empire

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 11:53:18 PM »
Ahhh thank you, Mythcantor, I didn't know that, how interesting. 

Offline dhoward575

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 02:41:39 AM »
Will there ever be any more Alera books? I loved this series.

Offline tsNirvash

• Lurker
  • I was several years late to the Codex Alera party.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »
I have some miscellaneous questions about The Codex Alera:

Which era (or eras) of Roman history did Jim have in mind when describing clothing, armor, and weaponry in Codex Alera?

What is Fade's brand supposed to look like?

Did Cereus Veradis attend the Academy at the same time as Tavi, Max, and Ehren?

Have any general layouts / blueprints of Bernardholt and Garrison (circa Furies of Calderon) ever been published?"

How long had
(click to show/hide)
been observing
(click to show/hide)
in Alera Imperia before he was assigned to catch her?

How tall is the Aleran Shieldwall?

Are taurgs based on any kind of real animal?