Poll

People read different styles of comics...what do you read? (You can check multiple catagories) This is a general curiosity question, don't stress if I missed something ;)

Old School Marvel/DC
70 (21.1%)
Independents: Strangers in Paradise, Cerebus, Barry Ween
42 (12.7%)
Manga and associated comics like Antartic Press
52 (15.7%)
Adaptaions (Novels, Movies)
44 (13.3%)
Adult-Orientated titles like Transmetropolitan, League of Extrodrinary Gentlemen, Preacher, Next Wave
57 (17.2%)
Online (Girl Genius, etc. Long story arcs only...PvP, Devil's Panties, Penny Arcade & User Friendly don't count))
53 (16%)
Other (specify below)
13 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Author Topic: Style of Comics You Read  (Read 82467 times)

Offline JennySy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Style of Comics You Read
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2009, 09:54:37 AM »
I'm not much into comics these days. My last one was Crossgen's Sojourn. I've been collecting the Saiyuki Reload manga series since. Oh, and not to mention my friends' own creation: Mangaholix.
A jar!

Offline owlbeen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2009, 08:31:37 PM »
The only new comics I've been into have been the recent rash of Golden Age revival books by Marvel, like The Torch and some of the Sub-Mariner one shots, and occasionally Booster Gold (if I hear good reviews for that particular issue off the forums).

I pretty much gave up on comics altogether at the turn of the millennium. The art was, on the whole, getting progressively worse, and the stories were leaning back into multi-issue plotlines that pulled way too much money from my pocket. I broke that briefly to buy Formerly Known as the Justice League and I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League, but then DC went and killed off practically every character I'd liked, and Superboy-Prime punched reality...

Give me hokey Silver Age books anyday.

Offline Chuck Chuck Razool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2009, 09:23:37 PM »
I've been reading a lot of The Boys lately. The first issue of Victorian Undead was interesting. And the first two of Atom Eve and Rex Splode have been top notch.
"There's a voice that comes from everywhere, and it's not saying anything."

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2009, 10:21:42 PM »
FTMFW!!!

For the Samuel L. Jackson Win? :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2010, 02:48:34 AM »
I'm not much into comics these days. My last one was Crossgen's Sojourn.

I was sorry to see Crossgen fold. I didn't like everything that they did but they had a few very good titles. I was hoping that Disney would resurrect some of them but apparently not.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline phaedrus

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2010, 01:21:25 AM »
and now they bought marvel
Ouch, do it again,,,,

Offline alexsc29

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • CCNA Exam Answers
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2010, 05:26:07 AM »
Independents: Strangers in Paradise, Cerebus, Barry Ween  ;D

Offline adgramaine

• Conversationalist
  • Me n' Harry, we got a few things in common!
    • View Profile
    • Haphazard Projects Forum
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2010, 10:19:51 PM »
BOOM! has been putting out some choice H.P. Lovecraft books for a while now. Phenomenal work. Image also has a Lovecraft book, something like the Adventures of Lovecraft, I think. I'm lagging behind trying to find the issues.

I'm not a big Marvel guy, but I'll read the Ultimate lines (Spider-Man, the Ultimates, Fantastic Four) when I have a few bucks for a TPB. You ask me, Marvel peaked when they did Origins. I do have a guilty pleasure thanks to Marvel: Darkhawk.

MAXX was a favorite of mine that I still go back and read... except for my signed limited edition of Issue #1    ;D

Fathom was spectacular. I'd love to see a film for that. And anything by Gaiman. What was it... 1402, or something like that. I need to go back and re-read it.

And of course, I have to mention my faves: Batman, Green Lantern, Flash. I am very much a DC guy.
Faith is seeing the light when all about is dark.

It's a Living!

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2010, 03:45:22 AM »
and now they bought marvel

I read somewhere that now that Marvel is owned by Disney there is talk that Marvel will revive some of the Crossgen titles. I hope so.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline shanejayell

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Shanejayell's Fanfiction
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2010, 01:07:34 AM »
I read MOST of these, tho I mostly buy stuff in trades these days It's too costly buying the monthly books.
Reader, Writer, general Fan.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~shanejayell

Offline Electric MacButters

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2010, 10:33:58 PM »
Personally, I've gone almost completely online with my comics.  They include:

Girl Genius- an incredible steampunk vision
Looking for Group (LFG)- a comedic adventure about a blood elf who wants to be a hero
Order of the Stick (OotS)- the godfather of DnD webcomics
Goblins- the tale of a group of survivors of a PC raid on a goblin war camp who decide to become PCs themselves to protect the tribe.
Gunnercrieg Court- it plays the plot close to its chest, but it involves diplomatic relations between nature and high technology.

That's all I can remember right now, but I'm sure there are more.
Okay, I flipped the breaker, pulled the fuses, and blew up the transformer.

Why are my lights still on?
Henceforth, therefore, to be known as Electric MacButters?
Chairman of the Amanda Beckett Society

Offline batman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2011, 07:57:44 PM »
X-factor and Deadpool are the best books being published right now in my opinion. Huge Peter David fan, he always delivers.
Thor has been awesome since he came back (loved when he beat Iron Mans ass in #3). Fraction is taking it to a whole new level right now.
Secret Avengers, also awesome. Brubaker does no wrong. Captain America consistently rocks hard.
And of course i still love New Avengers, no matter what anyone says! Bendis is awesome, cant wait to see what him and Maleev cook up for Moon Knight. Should be epic!
And yeah i pretty much only read superhero comics. Its what i grew up on. I will always be Marvel all the way.
(but i do have a soft spot for Batman... he should totally be a Marvel character...)
Far out.

Offline Compass Rose

• Conversationalist
  • Bassist holding down the low end
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2011, 10:32:22 PM »
Started reading comics (basically DC and Marvel - never cared for Archie & Co.) back in the early 1970s (when I got hooked on the X-Men, not only were the #s in double digits, but that was before Wolverine showed up and they had just gotten the costumes / uniforms that replaced those sucky blue/yellow jumpsuits they started out with...) Basically dropped out of reading comics regularly in the late 1980s for two main reasons - 1) plotlines started repeating all over the place, and 2) I was out in the real world, security police officer in the USAF, and seeing far too much real world dark stuff. At that point in time the 'anti-mutant' doom-and-gloom period was starting to take hold in comics. I didn't mind a LITTLE bit of doom-and-gloom, but there was a while when they almost all gloried in wallowing in it. Shortly thereafter found anime and manga (this was before commerical translations were readily available.) Still read a few of the manga, particularly "Five Star Stories" and "Bio Booster Armor Guyver," as well as "K-ON!!" Some of my favorites, like "RG Veda" and "Karula-Mau!" seem to have stopped publishing, sigh. In US comics, mostly read adaptions (Dresden Files, Serenity, Buffy/Angel, some Star Wars, some Star Trek) but look for decent artwork as well as good adaptions/scripts. If the artwork is horrible, I won't pick up more than an issue or two... and for the most part, I prefer graphic novels rather than picking up individual issues. Easier to find/order the graphic novels, too.
The Universe without Music is Madness

Offline MerryB

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »
... creeping out from under rock...
    ...  um, I like to read Richie Rich, and Donald Duck and company comics.... is this "other comics", or Disney comics...
... creeping back under rock...

Offline vanBATman

• Conversationalist
  • Reward: $60,000,000,000
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2011, 10:27:25 PM »
Just to echo some others... Invincible is very good.  Fables is fantastic.  The Boys has tons of gratuitous violence.  FreakAngels (Ellis) is a really good free weekly web comic that gets put out in trades too.  And I figure that Y the Last Man (Brian K Vaughn) deserves a mention here too...
DV vanBATman v1.2 YR6 FR.5 BK++ RP JB TH++ WG CL+ SW+ BC+ MC++

dimes for your dying dreams...