Poll

People read different styles of comics...what do you read? (You can check multiple catagories) This is a general curiosity question, don't stress if I missed something ;)

Old School Marvel/DC
70 (21.1%)
Independents: Strangers in Paradise, Cerebus, Barry Ween
42 (12.7%)
Manga and associated comics like Antartic Press
52 (15.7%)
Adaptaions (Novels, Movies)
44 (13.3%)
Adult-Orientated titles like Transmetropolitan, League of Extrodrinary Gentlemen, Preacher, Next Wave
57 (17.2%)
Online (Girl Genius, etc. Long story arcs only...PvP, Devil's Panties, Penny Arcade & User Friendly don't count))
53 (16%)
Other (specify below)
13 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Author Topic: Style of Comics You Read  (Read 82469 times)

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Style of Comics You Read
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 06:18:32 PM »
Let's see...this is my current pull list at my FLCS:

• Angel: After The Fall
  • Buffy Season 8
  • The Dresden Files
  • Fables
  • Jack of Fables
  • House of Mystery
  • Locke & Key
  • The Walking Dead

I've never been able to get into any supers title.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline Usagi13

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2008, 07:19:48 AM »
I mostly read manga. Some of my favorite mangas are Chrono Crusade, Trinity Blood, Card Captor Sakura, Shaman King, and My Cat Loki. About the only other kind of comic i read are web comics! :D DrunkDuck.com has alot of good ones :)

P.S. sorry if i miss spell any thing... i suck at spelling...

Offline Hagbard Celine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 10:18:12 PM »

I stopped reading comics altogether for about 10 years, and recently was sucked back in by Secret Invasion.  (I was a longtime Fantastic Four reader and have always liked Skrulls).  However I'm pretty disgusted on the whole by how almost uniformly lousy comic books have become.  The artwork has devolved because of things like Photoshop, so you have the same pose being pasted around with different dialogue on it.  Not to mention all the tracing/stealing that goes on (Mack, Land, et. al).  There was one page in a recent FF comic that I picked up where Johnny Storm had obviously been traced from photos or frames of three different actors...on a single page!  In one he looked like Matt Damon, in another he looked like Owen Wilson, and the third he looked like Neal McDonough.  It was pretty sad.  Try reading an issue of New Avengers or something...eek!  All the dialogue is bad frat-boy snark, and if there wasn't a speech balloon coming out of their lips you couldn't tell who was talking.  I think in a way it's not only the fault of the writers/artists, but things are just being rushed into production like mad. 

You know it's sad when the movies are more like the comics used to be, than the comics are today.

All that said:  The "Welcome To the Jungle" mini was well-done overall.  I can't wait for Storm Front. 
Never Whistle While You're Pissing!

Offline phaedrus

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2008, 11:47:39 PM »
i'd stopped for many years as well.

i was always a Marvel fan, now i also read topcow, Bluewater and a few others
Ouch, do it again,,,,

Offline Sūlien

• Conversationalist
  • Wounded, old and treacherous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 10:50:17 AM »
I got addicted Colleen Doran's "A Distant Soil" when I was stationed in Germany and I have issues 1 through 17 or so and need to pick up the rest.  Otherwise, I've read Neil Gaiman's "The Books of Magic" (which I still have around here somewhere), "Jon Sable, Freelance" (which a friend got me hooked on) and Top Cow's "The Darkness".  There's another one similar to "The Books of Magic", but I don't remember what it's called.  I seriously need to go through the boxes in the garage to find all of my comics one of these days.
Be the kind of woman who, when her feet hit the ground in the morning, the Devil says, "Oh crap, she's awake!"

"A government is a group of people usually notably ungoverned."
Captain Mal Reynolds, "Firefly"

Offline Spectacular Sameth

• Posty McPostington
  • At least 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2008, 07:05:16 PM »
Most of my American comic collections are superheroes:
Iron Man
Spider-Man
Batman
Fantastic Four
The Tick
Teen Titans
X-Men

But I've got like two or three non-superhero ones such as Bone. Bone (for those of you uncultured bastards who don't know) is a fantasy series by Jeff Smith about three cartoon-looking characters getting kicked out of their village and end up in a battle between the humans and the rat creatures. Very good stuff. It has some "OH SH!T!" moments and some funny moments. I also read a few Star Wars books, but nothing that lacks Boba or Jango Fett.

But typically if I'm going to buy American, then it's usually got a super powered person in it...or someone who fights using technology (Batman or Iron Man.)

And I've got quite a collection of manga. About 120 volumes. Mostly what's referred to as "Shonen," which appeals to the younger male audience...I've got a series about bounty hunters, a series about American Football, etc.

Mostly I read action related comics, both American and Japanese. My excuse is that if I wanted something deep, I'd pick up a novel. Comics/manga being a visual medium, I want something to happen.

Dresden Files, though I prefer the novels, fit my criteria, except I really don't pick up many comic adaptions of books or movies. I made an exception because I like The Dresden Files enough.

Edit: I'd like to say: most of what I've read of Fantastic Four and X-men is the Ultimate line.

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2008, 05:56:07 PM »
To be honest, I read mainly graphic novels, collections of issues and so on. This is mainly due to two factors: The stores around me were flaky about issues and I developed a lack of patience in waiting. If the story was good enough, I'd wait for the GN

This has changed lately, mainly due to the Dresden Files, but also because of the Batman RIP arc. The other main contributing factor is that I've discovered Midtown Comics in Manhattan, and I frequent it often
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Chuck Chuck Razool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 08:45:59 PM »
What I'm reading month to month.

-Invincible
-The Walking Dead
-The Astounding Wolf-Man
(noticing a Kirkman theme? On time in '09.)

-Conan the Barbarian (now Cimmerian)
-The Dark Tower series.
-The Stand
and I'm currently borrowing the trades of 100 bullets from my buddy Sam.
"There's a voice that comes from everywhere, and it's not saying anything."

Offline exorcisingemily

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Emily Seal
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2009, 08:17:05 PM »
Anything by Neil Gaiman, plus I am a shameless Marvelite almost despite Marvel.

I'm one of the fans that reads it and yells at the comic for mistreating my characters. Which I can only assume is worse than yelling at the television.

Offline Wolfhowls

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 11:33:01 PM »
High Moon

OPSEC

Two online comics I like.

Dark Reign:Secret Warriors (Wiki-Link), the Deadpool (Wiki-Link)comics and Dark Reign: Dark Avengers (Wiki-Link) are probably the best Marvel comics out this year.

Oh and Secret Invasion

I also like Dark Horse comics Hellboy and B.P.R.D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:54:46 PM by Wolfhowls »
"MY GOD!  HE'S INSANE!  Thank God I'm helpless!"
Bloo: >w< WH is that crazy comic book character that no one really questions, in fear that their own safety will be what is questioned next.

Offline dornwolf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 11:37:16 PM »
I'll admit I'm more for the Manga scene than I am for the standard comics.  I like the fact that there is an end point for the stories eventually.  For the more mainstream gotta be Batman and Green Lantern most of the trades I've bought are those.  On the hate side it's just single titles such as freaking Spiderman
PSN ID = karasthecrow

Offline Skatora

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2009, 02:47:40 AM »
I read mostly manga and online webcomics. I love the freedom of characterization and storytelling that these types of the comicking produces. Especially webcomics! I love these indie stories!

I mean, unlike the overused and overstretched traditional superhero stories/characters that just kept getting resurrected and recycled, these comics utilizes daring new ideas and drawing styles; pushing the envelope of this unique way of storytelling.

Besides, I personally think that the paneling in manga and webcomics are more dramatic and exciting, unlike the mostly static and repetitive frames of traditional American superhero comics, y'know? They're just more fun to read!

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2009, 10:44:51 PM »
(Tosses you Vertigo.)

(And Oni.)
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2009, 11:51:22 PM »
(Tosses you Vertigo.)

(And Oni.)

FTMFW!!!
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline dornwolf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2009, 12:29:38 AM »
(Tosses you Vertigo.)

(And Oni.)

Vertigo stuff's not bad, they're the ones who publish Fables right?
PSN ID = karasthecrow