Poll

People read different styles of comics...what do you read? (You can check multiple catagories) This is a general curiosity question, don't stress if I missed something ;)

Old School Marvel/DC
70 (21.1%)
Independents: Strangers in Paradise, Cerebus, Barry Ween
42 (12.7%)
Manga and associated comics like Antartic Press
52 (15.7%)
Adaptaions (Novels, Movies)
44 (13.3%)
Adult-Orientated titles like Transmetropolitan, League of Extrodrinary Gentlemen, Preacher, Next Wave
57 (17.2%)
Online (Girl Genius, etc. Long story arcs only...PvP, Devil's Panties, Penny Arcade & User Friendly don't count))
53 (16%)
Other (specify below)
13 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Author Topic: Style of Comics You Read  (Read 82466 times)

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
Re: Style of Comics You Read
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2011, 10:28:55 PM »
Never been much into comics before but as of 5 days ago am willing to branch out.  Girl Genius is brilliant.

Offline vanBATman

• Conversationalist
  • Reward: $60,000,000,000
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2011, 10:40:15 PM »
I'll check that one out when I get back to civilization
DV vanBATman v1.2 YR6 FR.5 BK++ RP JB TH++ WG CL+ SW+ BC+ MC++

dimes for your dying dreams...

Offline Chuck Chuck Razool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2011, 09:24:51 PM »
READ FEAR AGENT!!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough. Fear Agent is easily the best comic I've read in a while. It's unique in that its main character does not cope well with the horrible things he's seen and done. He's drowning in guilt and rot-gut whiskey.
"There's a voice that comes from everywhere, and it's not saying anything."

Offline eri

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2012, 12:36:15 AM »
Am I the only one here who reads Donald Duck? I can recomend anything written by Don Rosa. He's brilliant.

Also I recomend Narbonic. It's hilarious.
The more you put in your brain the more it will hold – if you have one.

Offline cyrilrask37

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2012, 03:16:03 AM »
Manga and Old DC Comics..  ;)
Naturally occurring calamity like flooding in San Antonio, Texas result into alot of destruction in properties and business in the community. water damage restoration san antonio

Offline drewavera

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2012, 03:21:29 PM »
im reading the new 52 dark knight and grifter comics. i also try to get as many batman graphic novels as i can afford when i got to the comic shop. im reading welcome to the jungle now, but i checked it out from the library
Self published sci fi author. Read my indie author interviews at www.drewavera.wordpress.com

Offline mr. peabody

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2012, 05:58:50 AM »
There are Dresden Files comics by Dynamic Forces that are pretty good. I also found some cheap art work for sale on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/2011skeet79/m.html?item=261127371221&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccc6779d5&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Offline phoenixjustice

• Conversationalist
  • I believe in you, Spike.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2012, 06:22:57 AM »
Manga (you wouldn't believe how many I have...),
DC & Marvel (BIG majority being Batman but I have some Spider-Man and stuff as well)
I also like stuff like Y: The Last Man.

Though, again, the majority of stuff I have is manga. I like alot of different genres; shonen, seinen, shojo, josei and others. I'm a weird fangirl. :P

DV PhoenixJusticev1.2YR9FR(M)6, BK++, RP, JB+, TH++, WG++, CL++, SW+, BC+, MC+++++, SH(Lash++, Murphy++,Molly+++,Morgan++,Marcone++, Kincaid++, Bob++, Mavra----, Nic+, DF OTP ++++)

Offline mr. peabody

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2012, 12:53:01 PM »
Ebay Auctions ending soon! Good stuff and pretty cheap for the holiday season!

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »
The stuff I currently read:

Girl Genius
Lady Sabre and the pirates of the inneffable aether
Goblincomics
Lackadaisy
Fables

I used to read:
Manga (anything by Masamune Shirow, Ranma ½, Dirty Pair, Nausicäa of the Valley of the Wind)
Elfquest
Sandman
The Dreaming
Bone
Some X-men
John Carter
Legion of Superheroes (before their stupid reboots)
Lady Death
Purgatory
Cyberforce
Codename Strykeforce

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline briggs2

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2013, 06:37:22 PM »
The Dresdon files was the first comic that I have read in years.I was looking for more stories to read by Jim BUTCHER and ran into these.,it was great to have that mental picture . I found Jim's books 5 monts ago and now own them all in book and audio. I am now an addict way to go and thanks for expanding my horizons.
   Patricia briggs has a comic out that is good also. now I will have to see if I can find the rest of them. OH YEA!!

Offline ITheHellAmFan

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2014, 06:56:24 PM »
I've only started getting into comics, but I've already found I enjoy a variety.  if I had to pick one type that is my favorite, it would probably be adult oriented.  since my time reading comics is relatively short compared to most comic nuts, I'm not going to list what I'm currently reading, but my top 10 favorites (whether I am currently reading them or have finished them.)  I also only read via trade paper back, my current lack of permenant housing makes individual comic issues impractical.

10. Allstar Superman.  This feels like a comic writer looked at the silver age esque awesomeness of the Christopher Reeve movies and and said, "That's pretty good, but I can do better."  except said comic writer was Grant Morrison, so it is also a nuanced, multi-layered story with enough mythological symbolism to teach an entire college course on.  The fact that it is a totally standalone story means it is also a great way to introduce comic readers.

9. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 and 2.  I'm only referring to the first two storylines here, up through the war of the worlds bit.  after that it tends to lose its way a bit, and in my opinion isn't nearly as good.  bonus points for the fact that things are wrapped up enough at this point where you can treat it as an actual ending.  anyways, a dark, multi-layered Alan Moore story about a sort of old school justice league made up of a who'ss who of Victorian literature.  Need I say more?*

8. Deadpool Classic.  Really, from what I've seen/heard, pretty much any of the major Deadpool series would earn there spot here, so I'm going with the one I've read the most of.  What can I say, it's utterly insane, totally unique, and hilarious.

7. Watchmen.  Yeah, yeah, I know.  It's like putting Citizen Kane on a favorite movies list.  It's cliche, it's expected, and there is nothing to say about it that hasn't already been said.  But there's a reason for all of those things.  It is really, truly a masterpiece.  Not necessarily perfect like some would claim, but nothing is.*

6. The 80's Wolfman/Perez run of The New Teen Titans.  Well, up through the Terror of Trigon at least.  I can't help it, I just love this comic.  It was a bit of a revolution in it's time with trying to right young heroes in a way that was believable, and for taking a somewhat unloved b-project and, for a time, making them a major force.  Of particular note is the 4-part story "The Judas Contract", which is in my opinion one of the all-time highlights of superhero comics, period.  The shear amount of material I'm talking about with this entry means that not all of it was home run worthy, but it was still consistently damn good.

5. The Brubaker run on Captain America, starting with Winter soldier.  I love Captain America, and I'm not afraid to say it.  I love the idea of him, I love what he stands for, and yet even I have to admit that he hasn't always been written that well or treated the best by Marvel.  The came Ed Brubaker, who kickstarted a revolutionary run that finally gave an icon his do.  If anyone is looking to get started on Captain America, or superhero comics in general

4. Sandman.  Of all the comics on my list, I think this one has gotten the most mentions.  And with good reason.  the art is unique, the premise inventive, the character's and situations mind-bending, and yet for all it's layers and symbolism, it never devolves into being esoteric for it's one sake and still tells a comprehensible and emotionally resonant story.*

3. V for Vendetta.  People can go on and on about his body of work all they want, but this will always be my favorite Alan Moore Comic.  There's just something about it, the artwork, the atmosphere, it's just amazing.  Having one of the most iconic anti-hero protagonists of all time doesn't hurt.  In addition, there cannot be enough said for a story that pits a freedom fighter against British Nazi's and actually manages to maintain a stark sense of moral ambiguity.*

2. Fables.  what can I say.  I love Fairy Tales, and what I love almost as much is weird new interpretations of them.  Whether it's Once Upon a time on tv, the faerie elements of series like the DF, whatever, old Disney movies, what ever, I love it.  i also love noir, and Fables is one of the most imaginative an delightfully twisted takes and fairy tales I've seen, adding a very noirish feel.*

1. Hellboy (including what has thus far been printed for Hellboy in Hell.)  This book is amazing.  The story telling is amazing, Mingola's knowledge of and respect for myth and folklore rivals Jim's, the whole thing is delightfully creepy and Gothic, and it has some of my favorite artwork in all of comics.  It has a great, epic since of gravity, but is still capable of having fun with it's goofier elements.  The conclusion of the first series is effectively a Lovcraftian apocalypse steeped in Aurthurian lore, and yet there is also an earlier issue that features the line "Goddamn Nazi Frankenstein monkey!"  If any of you have yet to check them out, give the series a shot, even if you aren't normally a comics fan.*

the * are titles I am specifically marking out as refutations that Western comics just recycle the same tired tropes and are incapable of taking real risks or breaking new and interesting ground artistically or narratively.
"I will not treat your dusty path and flat,
Denoting this and that by this and that,
Your world immutable wherein no part
the little maker has with maker's art."
-Mythopoeia, J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Darkling

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Darklings we listen
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2014, 10:29:21 AM »

Back in the 90s I was very into the Marvel monsters.  Werewolf by Night, Morbius the Living Vampire, The midnight Sons, and so on...

About a year ago a friend got me back into Marvel and I had to do about a decade's worth of crash-catch-up of the canon.

Currently I'm reading Thor & Loki: Original sin (which is almost over), Amazing Spider-man, Loki: Agent of Asgard and until it ended the newer version of Morbius (even if they had messed around with his powers and weaknesses quite a lot, that goes in guilty pleasure category).

I'm also fond of some of the Gothic horror IDW titles like Madman & Monster and Frankenstein Alive Alive (anything illustrated by Bernie Wrightson is gold and Frankenstein Alive Alive is fantastic, not just for the artwork but for the writing style).

'The night holds more than darkness and the stars.' - The San Francisco version of the Lestat musical.

Offline BountyHunter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2021, 06:40:23 PM »
All of the above, except maybe adaptations.  If I’ve read or watched the original version, I don’t need to read the comic version.