Poll

People read different styles of comics...what do you read? (You can check multiple catagories) This is a general curiosity question, don't stress if I missed something ;)

Old School Marvel/DC
70 (21.1%)
Independents: Strangers in Paradise, Cerebus, Barry Ween
42 (12.7%)
Manga and associated comics like Antartic Press
52 (15.7%)
Adaptaions (Novels, Movies)
44 (13.3%)
Adult-Orientated titles like Transmetropolitan, League of Extrodrinary Gentlemen, Preacher, Next Wave
57 (17.2%)
Online (Girl Genius, etc. Long story arcs only...PvP, Devil's Panties, Penny Arcade & User Friendly don't count))
53 (16%)
Other (specify below)
13 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Author Topic: Style of Comics You Read  (Read 82453 times)

Offline wildwill

• Participant
  • "I like to wave at those moments as they pass by"
    • View Profile
    • WildWill's Home Page
Re: Style of Comics You Read
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 06:39:41 PM »
Since I've been reading comics since the 70's, I've probably read something from EVERY style of comics published at one point or another.  In order to truly appreciate an artistic medium you have to have exposure to the entire medium, not just what's being presented currently, so I have a bunch of Golden Age hero reprints (well, to be honest I actually own one Golden Age comic too, "Young Allies #20"), I love the Silver-Age of comic, especially DCs of course.  I'm not all that fond of the Marvel Age/Bronze Age, even though those were still being published when I was a lad and it's what was current when I first started reading - though there are some great books that came out during that time period - ESPECIALLY Amazing Spider-man (Specifically #121 and #122). 

I started collecting with the Marvel toy Licenses of the late 70's and Star Wars, but that was only the beginning.  I loved The Micronauts, and that took me to my first Comic Book Store in 1982, and at that point my addiction was fed on a regular basis.  I've followed both the business and the creative side ever since. 

These days with a growing family I can't afford to purchase much anymore, the days of being able to buy a stack of books for $15 on Friday afternoon (a lot of people don't remember that New Comic Day USED to be Fridays before the age of Diamond being the only distributor) are long gone.  $15 gets you 4 comics these days, if that. 

I still read a bunch of books, but nothing regularly anymore.  It's just too expensive for me, and I don't have the space anymore.  My collection has over 6,000 comics, which is more than 20 long-boxes.  Most of them are in my storage unit because I don't have space in my apartment with an 18 month old running around. 

The only books I'm buying currently are:

Grendel
Nexus
Dresden Files
Serenity

That's it.  Four mini-series.  I buy no on-going series.  If I want to read an ongoing I wait until it's collected, or I read them digitally.
When all else fails, read the manual.

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 08:02:18 PM »
I have one comic that I really wish my dad had waited longer to give me. It's Giant sized X-men #2. Not sure on the year, because iot's pretty tatty. Dad gave it to me whan I was about 9 or 10, and I didn't appreaciate comics then, and abused it.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline wildwill

• Participant
  • "I like to wave at those moments as they pass by"
    • View Profile
    • WildWill's Home Page
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 12:03:54 AM »
Well, one reason why older comics are worth more than newer comics is exactly that - people beat the crud out of their books and thus mint-condition copies are worth more.  But don't sweat it too much, a Giant-Size X-Men #2 is worth less than $20 despite what the price guides say - check ebay, no ungraded copy has sold for more than $20 in the last 90 days.  Now a GRADED copy can go for hundreds, but then you would have had to never read it.

Once again, I reiterate, comics are for reading and collecting, not investing.
When all else fails, read the manual.

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 12:13:38 AM »
Oh, I wasn't really worried about the money value, but more about the fact taht I can barely read it anymore. :) In my opinion, comics are meant to be read and enjoyed, not horded and protected.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 12:39:42 AM »
I liked the old Marvel and DC titles before they became so heavy handed with the political and social commentary. Now I read mostly mini-series and adaptations like Hedge Knight. I loved most of Liberty Meadows although the last couple of issues were a let down. I really liked several of the Crossgen titles and was really disappointed when they went under. They, along with Ultimate Spiderman, were what got me reading comics again after almost twenty years. I was even more disappointed when Disney bought them out and consigned them to the rubbish heap. I like Fables, the only Vertigo title to hold my interest for long. It's really too bad that most (not all) of the best artists are tied up doing DC and Marvel which I hardly read any more. An exception to that is DC's Simon Dark which I have enjoyed so far but will probably quit reading when it comes in contact with the rest of the DC universe.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Mallana

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 07:01:34 PM »
I just read Serenity: Those Left Behind and liked it a lot.  I think I'm more into graphic novels these days, I want a full story with more plot and less spandex.   :D

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 08:05:36 PM »
I'd never read many before this actually.  I read part of the first Sandman, and I read 30 Days of Night and that was it before Welcome to the Jungle.  I have trouble staying focused with comic books, I think all the colors distract me  :P 
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline LLJade

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 03:39:22 PM »
I'd have to say that the only other comic I read would be manga. Besides being a huge Dresden fan, I'm also a hardcore anime and manga otaku and I have to say that so far, the Dresden comic is the only American comic book I would go out of my way to buy since I'm such a fan of the series.

Wolfhowls

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 05:19:39 PM »
Just picked up a two comics called Tales of Cthulhu and Fall of Cthulhu. I get way too excited when I read these comics.

Offline Lisa™

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 02:04:32 PM »
The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman is amazing...

YES.  Boyfriend made me read these comics, being a zombie nut, 'cos he couldn't shut up about them.  They blew me away.
Quote from: CrazyGerbilLady
Full Assed FTW!

Quote from: Snowleopard
I have a friend who'd say: "That sounds vaguely obscene and if there's anything I can't stand it's vagueness!"

Offline LadyHitchhiker

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • www.thedarktower.com
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 11:20:05 PM »
I read

League of Extraordinary Gentleman

Star Trek (of all varieties ... even the old 60s versions)

Sam & Max

Any of Jhonen Vasquez's works

The Gunslinger (Dark Tower)
"Never deprive anyone of hope; it may be all they have." -- anonymous

Offline rmcf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 08:25:40 PM »
If you liked Transmet you would probably like The Boys, an anti-superhero, dark, violent, well written series by Garth Ennis. 

I thought Wanted was really good too, but I can't quite figure out what the movie and the book will have in common aside from the name.
I hate it here.

Offline df2506

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 11:42:53 PM »

I don't read too many regular comics anymore. I'm mostly getting trades now, expect for Dresden Files and occassionally an issue of Ultimate Spiderman. (aside: although I did get to pick up some extra comics this week: Booster Gold, Wolverine, Justice Society, the Spirit. BG, Wolverine, and JS were all really good).

The ones I just HAVE to collect in trades/hardcover/etc:

Invincible (Image): Great book. Its a superhero book, but unlike anything else out there. This book takes chances and keeps suprising me.

The Dark Tower: I have the first hardcover and I plan to get the second one! I'm a big fan of the DT books & comics.

Anything by Dwight L. MacPherson: Really good creator. Read his comic, Edgar Allan Poo, recently and its excellent. Other books coming up: Kid Houdini, Edgar Allan Poo 2, M-Theory (a retro sci-fi pulp book), and more!

Anything by Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale: Batman: The Long Halloween, Batman: Dark Victory, Superman For All Seasons, Daredevil: Yellow, Spiderman: Blue! All great comics, imo. I also need to get Catwoman: When In Rome and Hulk: Grey. Coming soon: Captain America: White! These guys are great team, imo.

So, anyway, I collect (off and on) classic Marvel/DC stuff, stuff based off of novels, and comics from Image.

I also really liked the new issue of Wolverine and the comic Booster Gold (time traveling superhero) and plan to check out trades for both.

I want to check out some of Alan Moore's ABC comics in trades too (especially Top 10, Tomorrow Stories, and Tom Strong).

And I definitly can't wait to read more Dresden Files comics!

DF2506

Offline alton

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 12:04:33 AM »
Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday #1-24 is an excellent read and the art is absolutely stunning.  The new Thor run has been good also but I'm biased ,I'm a huge Thor and Norse myth nut. Trades of Gaimans Sandman are good and the Conan series from Dark Horse is good but once again I'm a huge REH and Conan fan. Mike Mignola's Hellboy is also an excellent read pick up the trade paper backs. The new Iron Fist series from Marvel has also been really good. Planetary by Warren Ellis and John Cassaday was a great read buy the trade paperbacks they're worth it.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 06:20:50 AM »
Planetary was incredible. As a teenager I liked reading the old pulp heroes (Doc Savage, the Shadow, G-8 the Flying Ace, etc.) I loved how the series included versions of them along with the more "modern" heroes. I also like the Goon although I admit I haven't read every issue.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"