Author Topic: "Grave" Misspellings  (Read 4863 times)

Offline theotherharry

• Lurker
    • View Profile
"Grave" Misspellings
« on: April 18, 2008, 05:57:49 PM »
What can we do about well-meaning editors (or editorial assistants) who cannot spell and who, in performing their duties, "correct" the spelling of a word we have already spelled correctly?  Whew!  That was a mouthful.  Let me illustrate the problem.  I do not for a minute believe Jim Butcher does not know the correct spelling of "dais," a word he uses several times in his third Harry Dresden novel, GRAVE PERIL.  However, in the paperback release of this novel the word is misspelled EVERY time as "dias."  I can only conclude that someone "corrected" his spelling of the word after he reviewed the galley proofs.  I see this kind of thing so often, I wonder that it has not already come up for discussion.  How do we writers protect ourselves from these well-meaning, but poorly educated idiots?   

BTW, both of these words pass the Word spellchecker test, so it I do not believe it is a matter of having a tool that provides the incorrect spelling to the publishing house employee.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: "Grave" Misspellings
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 09:27:11 PM »
l've heard that a good portion of galley proofs are now "outsourced" to other countries such as India -- it's cheaper, but the drawback is that the people transcribing the work learned English as a second language and may have a rather shaky grasp of it.  A published author of my acquaintance said that she really had to go through hers with a fine tooth comb, as there were signifignat errors on every page.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com