Author Topic: This is an ON TOPIC discussion board  (Read 144850 times)

Offline Glorificus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: This is an ON TOPIC discussion board
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 08:30:15 PM »
So me commenting on threads that were here before I joined is frowned upon?  :-\

Sometimes people re-animate threads in ways that can:

1) cause topics already beaten to dust to make like (supposedly) Harry in Ghost Story;

2) because of new members, cause new battles on old topics, which makes the mods homicidal; and

3) generally re-invent the wheel in annoying ways.

So if there's an ancient topic you feel you'd like to comment on, a winning strategy might be to wait until Ghost Story comes out and insert it in the millions and billions of new threads that will pop up.   8)
What if pigs flew around on the backs of sparkly vampires?

The best thing about my faerie godmother is that the creepy just keeps on coming. p. 273

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 09:41:27 PM »
So me commenting on threads that were here before I joined is frowned upon?  :-\

Depends. Check out the thread first and see if the topic's been pretty thoroughly dealt with. Good rule of thumb is that if the thread hasn't been touched in a season, only post if you have something completely new to offer, not just a remodeling of something that's already been said. Best rule of thumb: if it's something that ticks you or someone else off (see above about looking into the thread and not just skimming it), let it rest in peace.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Me Grimlock King

• Conversationalist
  • *Me, Grimlock, no bozo. Me king! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 12:37:16 PM »
fair enough, thanks guys
Magic, motherf*cker.

Offline psuliin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 06:53:38 AM »
Not necessarily. Generally Thread Necromancy is held to mean commenting on threads that have lain dormant for several weeks or months, unless the commenter adds something really revolutionary to the thread.

If a thread that predates you is still active, or at least dormant for only a week or two, I don't think anyone will mind.
"Every time another second tier character shows up, I say 'I can't believe it's not Butters!'
... I'll show myself out."

--Chrth

Offline Gigglestomp

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 09:29:15 PM »
You could also argue that the mistfiend was a construct, like the chlorofiend, animated by magic, but not necessarily "Living". Just a golem. That allowed it to hold the congealed anti-life [Mordite].

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 01:12:09 PM »
You could also argue that the mistfiend was a construct, like the chlorofiend, animated by magic, but not necessarily "Living". Just a golem. That allowed it to hold the congealed anti-life [Mordite].

Speaking of staying on topic and not resurrecting threads that had been resting in peace... ;)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 03:59:18 AM »
Speaking of staying on topic and not resurrecting threads that had been resting in peace... ;)
And yet, it's still pinned to the top of the page.

Which is more or less why I came here to post.  While this is a thread we may want to keep at the top, surely we can unsticky some of the other threads?  Maybe the Cold Days ones, now that there's a new book out?

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 09:27:35 AM »
Since the forum is closing and the number of regular posters is small; is being on-topic as necessary?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 07:05:46 AM »
Since the forum is closing and the number of regular posters is small; is being on-topic as necessary?
And yet... The forum is alive.

And stickied.

And necromancy happens.

But as has been pointed out in a previous lifetime, the Stickied threads look to be a bit out of date...