Author Topic: Main Character race type and profession (Name the mythical creature with a job)  (Read 7092 times)

MatthewD44

I was going to see if we could get a definitive list of the different types of creatures and the day job they hold down for the urban fantasy books we all know and enjoy

Jim has a wizard (detective)
Richelle Mead has 2 vampires (HS kids), a succubus (book store manager), and a shaman (no clue)
Patricia Briggs (just started this series) has a walk or skinwalker (mechanic) depends on how you define them
Caitlin Kittredge has a werewolf (cop)

So please drop in one of the main characters that you like and see if we get a good list of creatures and professions that someone is using or has used...

Offline Tech L. Me

• Conversationalist
  • Medicated and Motivated!
    • View Profile
    • [Insert Properly Pithy/Thoughtful Title Here]
CE Murphy has Joanne Walker (aka Siobhan Walkingstick) is a shaman and a detective (past professions include police mechanic and patrol officer)
If a doctor writes a prescription in the forest and there is no one around to read it, is it still illegible?

Offline Tasmin21

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • On Literary Intent
Kim Harrison has a witch who is pretty much like a private eye/bounty hunter.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt and P.N. Elrod's Jack Fleming are both vampire sort-of PIs.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
The "main character as PI/Cop" thing is leaned on heavily in urban fantasy, just as it is in mystery/suspense novels and for the same reason.  Murder is big stakes, and if your main is a PI/cop, it's easy to explain why they're involved with a murder book after book.  Otherwise, you end up with your gardener-main-character involved in one murder after another and the reasons for the involvement become more and more contrived (found a body in the garden in book 1, found a body in someone else's garden in book 2, and in book 3 she found a body in the gardening supply store).  You start thinking the cops should just tail the main character around, since she'll eventually lead them to yet another body.  Plus, no reader sits there and wonders, "Why doesn't she just call the cops?" when your character IS a cop.

So if you don't go the PI/Cop route, you have to think of a main plot that has high enough stakes to catch the reader's interest but the cops don't know about it or won't investigate it.

Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde was a romance novelist who had a "calling", I guess you could say, to investigate supernatural crimes, and in one of her three books she was called in by the police to help investigate a series of murders.

Tanya Huff's Vicky Nelson is a PI/ex-cop, but her spin-off series features Tony who's working his way up from production assistant on a bad TV show while he's learning about being a wizard.

Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake started off as a professional necromancer but also had limited Federal authority as a vampire slayer and, last I read, was a Federal marshal.

Rob Thurman's characters Cal and Niko are ... well, now Cal's a bartender and I dunno what Niko's up to when he's not being a bad-ass. 

Marc del Franco's Connor Grey is a druid who's lost most of his powers, but used to be a member of that universe's magic cops (basically).  He's a PI now who works with both the mortal cops and the Guild from time to time.

Simon R. Greene's John Taylor is a PI in the Nightside.

Rachel Caine's Joanne Baldwin is a Weather Warden... sometimes.  It's complicated.  But she's one of a group of people who tries to see that the weather doesn't get too cataclysmic.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale

I always though the dichotomy of an undead pediatrician would be quite resonant as a basis for urban fantasy. A creature of the dead who aids in helping life come into the world would be useful for some weighty themes. Yet the only ideas that spring to mind are all very short gag type stories. :P
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
    • Sa Souvraya Niende Misain Ye
Ravirn and Cerice in the Webmage urban-fantasy-esque books are hackers that look like elves.

Eddi in War for the Oaks is a rock singer.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:23:22 PM by Kiriath »
Dr. Juruna: What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?
Dr. Haas: Well, he profits by one entire world for starters...
A Miracle of Science

Bonded to the Traveler of the Ways

Offline Noey

• Posty McPostington
  • Life On Planet Pink.
    • View Profile
I always though the dichotomy of an undead pediatrician would be quite resonant as a basis for urban fantasy. A creature of the dead who aids in helping life come into the world would be useful for some weighty themes. Yet the only ideas that spring to mind are all very short gag type stories. :P

One of my favorite characters to write about of my own is a vampire paramedic. Who better to be able to see death approaching and stave it off, you know?
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. - C.S. Lewis

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack is kind of outside the normal P.I./Cop genre, in that he "fixes situations" that are outside the norm, and often involve the paranormal.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Moritz

• Participant
    • View Profile

I was going to say that there is a character like that in a German vampire novel I recently read (Kinder des Judas bei Markus Heitz), but she is a nurse who helps children who are dying (as in holding their hand and telling them bedtime stories). edit: and yeah, she is a vampire.

Reading this thread makes me sad. Are there really only these PI and hero types in Urban Fantasy, or is that because of a narrow definition of UF?! E.g. if I look at Gaiman's work...
I only read the British editions of Dresden Files, so I am half a year behind concerning the plot.
I also only read them when I travel.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Reading this thread makes me sad. Are there really only these PI and hero types in Urban Fantasy, or is that because of a narrow definition of UF?! E.g. if I look at Gaiman's work...
Well, there's also Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas, or Brother Odd, a monk who can see the spirit world.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis

Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville is a radio DJ who's just sort of there when everything happens.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile

Only the last third of King of Morning, Queen of Day is really urban fantasy - it's a generational story - but Enye, the protagonist in that, is a bicycle courier.  I am very attached to it because it's set in Dublin in the early 90s at the same time I was an undergrad, and the details of place and setting are absolutely perfect.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.