Author Topic: Common knowledge in fantasy  (Read 8583 times)

Offline Roaram

• Participant
    • View Profile
Common knowledge in fantasy
« on: April 05, 2008, 07:17:18 AM »
I have never seen this really addressed in the boards, so I thoought I would bring it up.

when writing a story set in a fantasy world, or reading, how do you do common knowledge stuff like measuring time, or days of the week. or distance. and how much gold/silver/copper/seashells does it take to buy a horse anyways? I have seen it done a lot of ways, but I find that my friends and I differ a lot with how we like to read it. for example I would be completely thrown off if some arcane text told the wizard hhe would need to open the portal to the demon plane TUESDAY after next(unless humor was the object) while at the same time I hate it when armies march for ten leagues, because leagues is  so over used in actual distances I never know if its a mile or three or something completely different. and if you do create something different, how should you catch the reader up without making the characteers discuss plain knowledge? any thoughts

comprex

Re: Common knowledge in fantasy
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 02:20:30 PM »

I've always liked it when it is introduced gradually, through the reader's intuitive conceptions of measurement.

Seventy four fartlekks to the Demesne of Doom?  Hmm, I'll need an overnight bedroll, pink fodder for my purple horsey and some biltong.

You have the silver direwulfskin and the spiderspit laces, why can't I have my two-toed boots before next Sidesun?

The sun moved steadily to the apex.  I held out my forepaw and saw I had maybe three and a half Knuckles until the eclipse.   No time to finish the stinkfish now, I had to get to shelter.

Mind you, that only really works for essentially modern-world analogues.   If you want to introduce something wacky like Mesopotamian systems of 12 and 60 and multiplication by fractions, it's going to take an an archpriest or a schoolmarm figure.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 02:59:42 PM »
"three days hence" and "my eyes popped out at the cost"   :D
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Franzeska

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 03:44:17 PM »
A lot of fantasy worlds are fairly closely based on something real, so my problem isn't so much with 'leagues' being overused but with it feeling out of place because the author hasn't the faintest idea of what other measurement terms go with it.  If I'm going to suffer through 'league' every five minutes, I'd better be seeing 'cubit' or 'furlong' or 'ell' or 'fathom' or any of those other nifty archaic terms, and I want the author to understand how and why the measurement system works.  For example, a league is the distance you can walk in an hour.  In some versions, it's the distance your horse can walk.  (And if you're going for strictly Medieval Europe, you should be aware that these "hours" are probably canonical hours and not modern hours.)  Measurements for cloth are often the length of the merchant's forearm.  Other distances might have to do with how far you can plow or the length of your arm span.  These aren't random measurements: they all relate directly to things in the environment, and most of them are quite inexact.  Used properly, I think they could add a lot of depth to a fantasy world.

If you're writing a fantasy world based on Ancient China or nearby parts of Asia, I would honestly be rather disappointed if you didn't include the Chinese calendar and local measurement systems.  But again, you'd have to know the systems inside and out and know exactly why you were using them.  As you say, it's no fun to just have random terms thrown at you out of nowhere.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 06:57:27 PM »
when writing a story set in a fantasy world, or reading, how do you do common knowledge stuff like measuring time, or days of the week. or distance. and how much gold/silver/copper/seashells does it take to buy a horse anyways? I have seen it done a lot of ways, but I find that my friends and I differ a lot with how we like to read it. for example I would be completely thrown off if some arcane text told the wizard hhe would need to open the portal to the demon plane TUESDAY after next(unless humor was the object) while at the same time I hate it when armies march for ten leagues, because leagues is  so over used in actual distances I never know if its a mile or three or something completely different. and if you do create something different, how should you catch the reader up without making the characteers discuss plain knowledge? any thoughts

Have characters there to whom it is logical and appropriate for some of this stuff to be explained.  Foreigners, children, and people from other worlds show up in fantasy a lot because they make this easy.

in a first-person narrative, you have the option of the narrator explaining things directly, though it's much harder and more fun to slip the things in so they are obvious as needed.

I don't, myself, favour the long infodump unless you happen to be Neal Stephenson, which very few people are. Cluing things in can be a pain, though.  I have one story setting which is a quasi-medieval tech-level lost colony on a planet around a blue-white sun.  I've done the sums to figure out how hot the blue-white sun is, and how far out the planet needs to be in order to be habitable, so their year is two and a bit Earth years; this is of course not a comparison they generally have, but one way of getting that across in conversation was a character realising she was pregnant and thinking what time of year the baby would be born, combined with it being clear what time of year it was when the scene was actually happening.

Units of measurement tend to come from fairly basic human things that people have from way back in time.  A mile comes from the Latin word for "thousand" meaning a thousand paces, for example.  I have considered "mansheights" as a unit; the thing is, words that get used a lot tend to be abbreviated over time if they are not short and snappy, and two syllables is as much as you can reasonably expect to see used colloquially IMO, which does not leave you that much space to make the derivation clear.

On the other hand, you can just snark about it.  There's a lovely line in one of Steven Brust's fantasy novels to the effect that "Fortnight was an Eastern word, though why they needed a word for a chunk of time one day shorter than three weeks is beyond me"; which tells you that either fortnights or weeks in this world are not what you expect them to be.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline sluice

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 06:05:11 AM »
I have never seen this really addressed in the boards, so I thoought I would bring it up.

In my opinion this is one of the biggest mistakes in fantasy. Take the Battlestar Galactica route ad try to bring in as much realism as possible. What, the system of measuring "feet" wouldn't exist on this world? Neither would the word "measuring." There are languages no which have no articles, no "a," "an," or "the,"
and that's on our planet. Just don't name the months and days after our pagan gods (unless those gods exist in your world).

Offline AverageGuy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 07:19:19 AM »
On the other hand, you can just snark about it.  There's a lovely line in one of Steven Brust's fantasy novels to the effect that "Fortnight was an Eastern word, though why they needed a word for a chunk of time one day shorter than three weeks is beyond me"; which tells you that either fortnights or weeks in this world are not what you expect them to be.

A Denarian Dragaeran week's five days in the Taltos books.  The Easterners hold on to Earth traditions.[/tangent]

Edit: Ack!  Been reading too much of this other, hack author. :P
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 07:53:49 AM by AverageGuy »
DV AverageGuy v.1.2 YR8 FR7 BK++ RP- JB- TH+ WG+ CL+ (Lich) SW BC MC+++++ SH[Murphy+++, Lara--/+]

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 05:40:48 PM »
A Denarian Dragaeran week's five days in the Taltos books.  The Easterners hold on to Earth traditions.[/tangent]

Edit: Ack!  Been reading too much of this other, hack author. :P

I know that, and this is true and in elsewhere in the series; I was just pointing at this specific sentence as an example of communicating part of that information very precisely and elegantly.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

comprex

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 06:08:03 PM »

And to make you wonder at the role of the Jenoine in early settlement.

Offline hamiltond

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 07:51:41 PM »
Just put a glossary in the back of the book.  It worked for Jordan and Herbert.
Whaddya got for a fiery beam o death?!!
You got nuthin for a fiery beam o death!!!

"Mo Magic, Mo Problems"

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 07:57:10 PM »
Just put a glossary in the back of the book.  It worked for Jordan and Herbert.

Well, that is guaranteed to make me not buy your book, because it says you can't be bothered to make the text work well enough on its own ground and you need to prop it up.  I hate that almost as much as I do maps.

comprex

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 08:21:22 PM »
Well, that is guaranteed to make me not buy your book, because it says you can't be bothered to make the text work well enough on its own ground and you need to prop it up. 

even if (hypothetical author) uses it for backstory venue, and a complete cross-volume index?

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »
even if (hypothetical author) uses it for backstory venue, and a complete cross-volume index?

Backstory that matters should be in the text.  Indexing... I have mixed feelings on. 

Offline kilks401

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 08:36:31 PM »
I generally read novels too fast to pick up on all the little world building things such as measurements of length.  I really enjoy when a fantasy book has a comprehensive glossary, since then I can simply look something up rather than having to flip through hundreds of pages to look for a reference, such as happens in the Wheel of Time.

If important information came up in the story randomly and was only included in the glossary, thats not good.  But has a tool, it helps me out.

*edited because I had multiple redundant examples of redundancy.*

Offline hamiltond

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 09:40:18 PM »
Well, that is guaranteed to make me not buy your book, because it says you can't be bothered to make the text work well enough on its own ground and you need to prop it up.  I hate that almost as much as I do maps.

See I rather like them, especially when the have little tidbits of information in the that the author just couldn't reasonable fit in. But then again I also buy DVDs because I like the special features so....
Whaddya got for a fiery beam o death?!!
You got nuthin for a fiery beam o death!!!

"Mo Magic, Mo Problems"