Author Topic: This Site's Heavy Load-Part II, The Unhijacked Version  (Read 30799 times)

Offline KingPandemic

• Conversationalist
  • read too much gotta pay more than smokers :]
    • View Profile
Re: This Site's Heavy Load-Part II, The Unhijacked Version
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 02:33:25 AM »
I only noticed three.  Perhaps I have more of a life than I realized.

does that mean....wait....yes.... i have one too ;D
i have teeth?

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 02:37:11 AM »
I love you.

You'd better... if you didn't... i would be a stalker... and a pathetic one at that...

Fred - the stats increase is amazing.... how does conversion look?
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

MatthewD44

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 02:40:31 AM »
Thanks Fred, Priscellie and everyone else.. I actually thought it was something going on with my browser or my IP not the site..

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 02:51:42 AM »
You'd better... if you didn't... i would be a stalker... and a pathetic one at that...

Fred - the stats increase is amazing.... how does conversion look?

Not much difference in the number of clicks, though I think that the increase in impressions has increased the overall value ascribed to those clicks -- it's looking like a couple more $ per day as a result.  That said, I wouldn't turn down more. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 02:56:31 AM »
cool. we'll see what we can do.... *waves magic fingers*  ;)

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 03:42:20 AM »
Not much difference in the number of clicks, though I think that the increase in impressions has increased the overall value ascribed to those clicks -- it's looking like a couple more $ per day as a result.  That said, I wouldn't turn down more. :)

I grabbed a few more Border's coupons and clicked on some weird crap just for the hell of it.

Offline MonaLS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 03:43:08 AM »
Thanks for keeping things up and running!
“There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast” Anonymous

Offline KingPandemic

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 02:09:40 PM »
i have 2 questions

1 how exactly does a site crash ???

and 2

how do you fix a crash ???
i have always wondered about those
i have teeth?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 02:17:29 PM »
Crashes seem to happen when the website makes too many heavy demands on the software and database and CPU vs. the "quotas" placed on those and other limitations, so the software just gives up and says "I can't take no more!"

Recovery is basically getting access to the tools on the machine where that software runs and beating them with a virtual wrench until it coughs out some puffs of smoke and gets back to puttering along.

Speaking of which, Pris beat on the site twice more yesterday.  She's really doing an astonishingly great job with this.  Folks should shower her with praise and, hell, presents. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline KingPandemic

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 02:21:16 PM »
Crashes seem to happen when the website makes too many heavy demands on the software and database and CPU vs. the "quotas" placed on those and other limitations, so the software just gives up and says "I can't take no more!"

Recovery is basically getting access to the tools on the machine where that software runs and beating them with a virtual wrench until it coughs out some puffs of smoke and gets back to puttering along.

Speaking of which, Pris beat on the site twice more yesterday.  She's really doing an astonishingly great job with this.  Folks should shower her with praise and, hell, presents. :)

priscellie, you are amazing, i give you this virtual present equivalent of winning 10 games of monopoly in a row *gives present* now get people to challenge you, if there are grandmasters for it play them, so they can look like fools to your free wins
i have teeth?

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 03:58:20 PM »

I gave her virtual candy yesterday-does that count?  Of course, I was probably doing something I shouldn't have been at the time, but that doesn't really matter.  The important thing is I gave her candy.  Right?

In all seriousness, Priscellie really is a Goddess.  I tell her this all the time.

Offline cassandra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 04:29:15 PM »
I haven't even noticed the downtime. Granted, I've been here at 3am a lot lately, but even then there have been quite a few guests. You guys are totally on top of it, and good on you. :)

Offline KingPandemic

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 04:30:57 PM »
I haven't even noticed the downtime. Granted, I've been here at 3am a lot lately, but even then there have been quite a few guests. You guys are totally on top of it, and good on you. :)
what are these guests?
i have teeth?

Offline cassandra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 04:39:08 PM »
Unregistered visitors, wandering through to check things out. I was up 'till after 6am today, and when I last checked the forums had between 20 and 30 visitors. That's a lot for that time of day, particularly since guests outnumbered members all night long.

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 10:32:33 PM »
Unveils Priscellie's Garden, a lush place of rich vegetation surrounding hottubs fed by natural hot mineral sping waterfalls, staffed by Chippendales dancers in natural fiber loincloths serving cool refreshing drinks and hand feeding hors d'oeurves.

For You, My Dear... - oh, and here's the little button to reset the site when it crashes, right here under this rock. Careful, the one to the right is for the volume on the surround sound. Enjoy!