Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209398 times)

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #390 on: September 13, 2010, 08:37:26 PM »
Josh Vogt here, fantasy author who has recently signed on with Folio Literary Management. My agent and I are prepping an urban fantasy novel called Enter the Janitor to send it around to publishers in the coming month.

Great to be here!

JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 13, 2010, 10:31:04 PM »
Josh Vogt here, fantasy author who has recently signed on with Folio Literary Management. My agent and I are prepping an urban fantasy novel called Enter the Janitor to send it around to publishers in the coming month.

Great to be here!

JRVogt.com

Welcome, added you to my tweet, but I hope that you'll shortly be moved into the Published Author on board section!  What wonderful news and Folio is an excellent agency!  Well done! 

If you are willing to share your query that got the agent lined up, please do so!  Just create a new thread that says..."Query that Worked!" and give us the behind the scenes scoop?  How many agents did you query?  Did you write the dreaded synopsis?  Had you met the agent previously?  Did you have a referral or climb straight up the slush pile?  Just how many manuscripts did you write before this successful one?  And JUST how many revisions did you agonize through before being accepted--and then what about that 'revisions the agent requested' go? 

I'm sure you will have people lining up to ask you questions, if you are willing.  If you have a writer's blog where you've discussed this--all the better.

Forgive me.  Just call me the Parana sponge... That's what I call myself!  Thank you so much for posting!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #392 on: September 14, 2010, 03:48:38 AM »
Hi Meg! Thanks so much for the warm welcome. Yes, it'd be marvelous if I got to put a post in the Published Author board. Maybe, if all goes well, that'll be updated in the next few months. Who knows?

In the meantime, I will get over to the Query that Worked section and provide some more detailed info on how the whole agent things came about.

I do have a blog, which you can either access through www.JRVogt.com or JRVogt.blogspot.com. I'm also on Twitter most days, and would love to make some new connections and answer any questions folks have.

Lastly, my website also has a recently updated Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox, which, as you can see in my signature, includes 150+ links to writing craft and business resources I've collected over the years (a couple links to Jim's writing posts are included). I hope all that is some help to start.
JRVogt.com

Offline GreenInBlack

• Lurker
  • On the corner of lost and nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 23, 2010, 01:13:02 AM »
Evening, folks.

I'm an aspiring writer from Michigan, and I'm in the process of working on a series of books based in ever-notorious city of Detroit.

For my first book, it centers on the life and trials of the hunter (and high-talent wizard) William Ashton as he tries to help people who don't trust the Watchers, a UN-created policing organization, to protect them from the mortals (and para-naturals) that walk the darkened alleys of the world.  Hell, Will doesn't really care for them either, even though he used to be a Watcher himself.

Now a freelance hunter, Will ends up being kidnapped and given an offer he can't refuse.  If he can find and bring to justice an assassin hellbent on killing the vampire Queen, he'll be given enough money to have his comatose sister looked at by the best doctors in the world, to find out what put her in said coma (which he feels personally responsible for, since it happened while he was on a case as a Watcher and hence his leaving the Watchers).

However, there are a lot of different people that seem to be interested in making sure that Will doesn't accomplish this task, ranging from rogue wizards to repentant vampires and even a rock band interested in recruiting him to be their lead guitarist.  What's a wizard/hunter/guitarist to do?

Be the good guy, stop the bad guys.  It's a simple plan.

Offline Terminalvelocityturkey

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 23, 2010, 02:40:15 AM »
Names Brad, from Texas. I've been dabbling with writing for a long while now but yet to try getting published, but I think this is the one I'm going to give it a shot.

Basic setup is magic, a re-imagined mash-up of Quetzcoatl, 2012, and a new dystopia. Just a few of the little ideas that I have weaving in and out of my plot line which, with the problems I have in mind for my protagonist, Alexander Walker, will hopefully stretch across a nice little set of books. :)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 23, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
welcome to TVT and GNB!  You'll find this a great place to hang and we'll be happy to hear more about your work as they progress.   Sorry for the shortness of this, holidays are calling, and my own work is hitting a critical mass before shipping off.  *read intense angst* :-) 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline GreenInBlack

• Lurker
  • On the corner of lost and nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 24, 2010, 07:17:56 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm gonna have to go with a quick post, too... family and turkey and writing... not always a good combo, but whattya do, right?

Happy Turkey Day, all!

Offline reg varny

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 07, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »
Chance would be a fine thing. Head full of ideas, but three jobs to pay for my daughter's education, plus martial art training, dog walking and mild ADHD get in the way. Very slowly working on a short story / spin off from Robert E Howard's Worms of the Earth, for my own interest and practice.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #398 on: January 07, 2011, 08:12:07 PM »
Not sure if this counts, but I've made my crazy 2010 NaNoWriMo entry available for purchase through the CreateSpace site as well as through Amazon--principally so I could get extra copies for friends and family members, but hopefully a few of you guys will check it out and give me feedback as well:
https://www.createspace.com/3533376

"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 08, 2011, 04:18:13 AM »
A few sample pages Liz?  It, before I pop the card? Sound like something I'd really like.   Meg

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 08, 2011, 04:30:05 PM »
A few sample pages Liz?  It, before I pop the card? Sound like something I'd really like.   Meg

Meg:  I'll try and get a preview up in the next day or so and link to it...still figuring the site out. ;D

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 08, 2011, 10:45:56 PM »
Here's alink to a sample scene from Chapter One:
https://www.createspace.com/Preview/1076031

RelicMaster

« Reply #402 on: January 12, 2011, 06:38:43 AM »
I am a writer in Kansas.

My first book is called "The Vampire's Chalice." It is about a sorcerer named Marvin Underwood who is living as a hermit in the Rockies. He rescues a boy from a falling boulder and later finds out that the boy, Tommy, is the grandson of Marvin's old army friend from seventy years ago. Tommy tells Marvin that his grandfather, Leon has been kidnapped because they thought he knew where Marvin lived. Tommy then tells Marvin that Leon told him where to find Marvin and tell him that the Relic Guardians were about to awaken. (The Relic Guardians are people that tried to use the powers of seven ancient relics only to be consumed by them.) Marvin realizes that it is very important to find the person who would become the Relic Master. The Relic Master is the only sorcerer who can control all of the relics of power.

Marvin then finds out that Leon made a map to show exactly where each RelicGuardian would appear when they appeared and in return for the map Marvin is forced to take Tommy with him. Only to later discover that Tommy may be a very important person after all.

I am planning on writing a whole seven to eight book series with Marvin, Tommy, and a few people from Marvin's past, traveling around the world looking for the Relic Guardians and getting the relics from them.

Offline SuperflyMD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 15, 2011, 02:31:52 PM »
Have you inished book one yet?
I've got two words for you: no.

RelicMaster

« Reply #404 on: January 15, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
Yes actually I have finished book one and I am in the middle of Chapter 2 in book 2.