Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209468 times)

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
  • Angst Muffin~plot bunny breeder
    • View Profile
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #345 on: March 02, 2010, 01:12:05 PM »
Thanks.  I'm a fan of Dr. Seuss and I'm sure the sig will rotate through many of my favorite quotes of his. And congrats to your daughter.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 03, 2010, 04:06:03 AM »
Hey all, out of seventy contest entries there were three winners and two honorable mentions....I was one of the honorable mentions.  :-)  Webook.com   give it a try.  Great place to learn.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
  • Angst Muffin~plot bunny breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 03, 2010, 12:49:09 PM »
'grats Meg!!  *makes not for later in free time*

logarithm.and.blues

« Reply #348 on: April 04, 2010, 04:53:34 AM »
Ahoy. I'm Charles, and I've been 16 for the past 5 days. I'm working on a story that I started about 7 months ago for the Personal Project, a requirement of the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program at my high school. I haven't come up with a name for it yet 'cause that's not really important at this point. It's... what I'm pretty sure at this point might be a ripoff of The Dresden Files (which is BAD, and it's really irking me and slowing down progress). The only real difference between my story and The Dresden Files at this point is that the main character is 18 and goes to New York University. At this point, I only have 18 pages (mainly 'cause I've got so much work for the IBMYP). I'm also writing this from scratch without any tips from other writing sites (because I feel that trying to absorb and process all of that information would take a long time and distract me from actually writing the story).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 04:55:57 AM by logarithm.and.blues »

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 04, 2010, 06:01:33 PM »
Hi L&B. Best wishes on your writing.  Never fear reading and checking out writer's craft sites or you'll advance at a crawl space.  Over the course of writing a long work you will grow anyway. Don't fear it but enjoy the learning. As to being too Dresden like--you've recogized it so move on. Enjoy the challenging task of creating your own world.  Worldbuilding is hard but so rewarding.  If you get too tangled up then call it a learning fan piece and start imaging your next work. Nice to see you posting in author craft!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Panda - Chan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Panda's Site for Creativity
« Reply #350 on: April 06, 2010, 01:52:18 AM »
Hey Panda, Panda, Panda!  You going to Fayette?  (This is the Panda from KC area right?  I mean how many pandas can there be in here?)  which is why writing for your own pleasure is a vocation not a career for what-- 90% of novel writers? 

KC???????

I'm completely lost.
In front of your eyes, it falls from the skies
When you don't know what you're looking to find
More memories fell and crashed against the ground in the raindrops that fell that day,
I had no idea what was going to happen,
Right before my own eyes, I saw all our happy and beautiful memories break

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 06, 2010, 03:30:16 AM »
Oops more than one panda I guess.  I met someone at a signing in jefferson city...  Was gpoing to book up for the fayette signing.  My bad.  Hope I didn't freak you out.  She loves pandas.  Apologies!

Offline drza

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 13, 2010, 04:27:28 AM »
I feel incredibly accomplished just to be making this post.  I've tried to register to this site several times in recent years, and every time I did I would never get the activation e-mail no matter how many times I requested it.  And there's no 'contact us' link that I could find, so eventually I'd just give up.  But finally, with the third e-mail address that I've tried, I am now officially a member of this board and can respond to some of the threads I've lurked upon.  Woot!

Anyway, on topic, I decided one day to sit down and write out my ultimate series with everything that I like in it.  This was in 1996.  Since then I have brainstormed, written backstories, and gotten to know a whole cast of characters in a world that has changed everything from tone to genre in the last 14 years.  What began as pseudo sci fantasy (that, upon re-reading my earliest notes sounded suspiciously like Star Wars, which I had just read at the time...hmmm) has morphed to medieval high fantasy to non-medieval high fantasy to some combo of all of the above that includes...you guessed it, everything that I like.   The problem was (actually, 2 problems) that a) when I tried to actually start writing the book itself it was harder than pulling my own teeth and b) my life leaves me no time in which to write.

About this time last year, though, I got so frustrated with one of my favorite series to read that I did something that I never thought I'd do...I sat down and wrote out a fanfic scene to mollify myself.  I started thinking about the scene on the way to work, and by the time I actually got to work I could see it so clearly that I just sat down and wrote out what was bursting in my mind.  It took about 2 hours, and I know it needed polishing, but when I got done and read it my first thought was...you know, this isn't bad.  I even let two other people see it (didn't feel comfortable putting a story from someone else's world out there beyond just e-mailing it to a couple of folks), and their reaction was...you know, this isn't bad.  But more importantly, the realization that I actually could write scenes instead of just brainstorming jump started me on writing my own stuff.

Long story short, I've been on (intermittent) fire sense December, and I'm within spitting distance of finishing the first draft of my very first novel.  No idea if it's any good or not, but after almost 14 years of "someday I'm going to write something" I'm pretty jazzed to almost have my foot on the path.  The overarching story is a huge, high fantasy epic set in multiple locations over about 30 years that would take me lots and lots of words over lots and lots of volumes to write.  This particular novel started off as just a lark, an intermission between the early stuff and later stuff I had planned out.  But for the first time the story is just flowing out of me, so now it's taken on a life of its own.  It's got an urban fantasy feel, though it's based in a fantasy world.  The protagonist looks like an everyday Joe, a short kinda chubby guy with glasses.  Only he's got some were-beast/wizard/skin-shifter things going on to keep things interesting.  Oh, and he's been banished from his home land for reasons yet unspecified.  Oh, oh, and there are several groups of very powerful people that have been trying their best to kill him for a very long time.  Oh, oh, oh, and one of those groups has kidnapped his godson.  He'd do anything to protect him...the only problem is, the only options he can come up with are to either kill everyone which causes everyone that he loves to die as well, or to protect all of his loved ones so that the only one that needs die is him...

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 13, 2010, 05:28:27 AM »
Your story sounds really interesting and I'm eager to find out how it progresses. I think you've come to the right place. This board is an excellent forum to get advice on writing and mingle with bright people who really know what they're talking about. (And guys like me who just toss their $.02 in the jar from time to time.) Welcome aboard!
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 13, 2010, 05:42:41 PM »
"About this time last year, though, I got so frustrated with one of my favorite series to read that I did something that I never thought I'd do." 

Jim commented that was why he wrote the Dresden Files.  LOL   Welcome and I'm sorry you had such trouble getting 'official' as it were.  Lurkers are always welcome, but if you want to be a member and are having difficulty, then it's time to let Fred Hicks,Prescellie, or Mickey Finn know. You might send one of them a post concerning where the system didn't work for you.   (See member's tab above.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 05:44:23 PM by meg_evonne »

Offline Tzarii

• Conversationalist
  • Always out front yet behind the scenes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 30, 2010, 05:52:40 PM »
First of, thank you Jim Butcher for writing an awesome methodology for writing, it has already helped me out.  I wrote my first story in the 1st grade. My first chapter book was the hobbit and Sci Fi and Fantasy have been my favorite books all the time.  I discovered the Dresden Files in 2008 while I was in the army and it got me back into writing again.  The reason for this is in college I gave up writing for a while, mainly because I hated everything I write, and I am probably my worst critic.  No, actually my brother who uses all caps is a little worse than me.   Right now I am working on something a bit Roman a (wish I had fancy a) Clef, based on some research that I encountered in college. Kinda worried about it being in multiple formats (mainly switching between interviews and first person.) 
I am Intell.  I am powered by coffee, rage and despair.  But mostly the first two.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 30, 2010, 07:23:55 PM »
... Kinda worried about it being in multiple formats (mainly switching between interviews and first person.) 
  could be cool though.  Best wishes on it.

Offline The Grinning Psychopath

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 01, 2010, 06:12:03 PM »
Hello uh.

i... am The Grinning Psychopath.

and i am fourteen! i live with my dad, who is a truck driver. and i help him out regularly with his work.

For the past couple of years, i have been attempting to write up a series. about  a young red haired, Irish woman, Karrin. and her; blond; dead; also Irish half brother, TC. who was born in the sixteen century, and was killed in the seventeenth, (though he still only looks about twenty five)

both are wizards who come from two powerful bloodlines, Condreus & Kreel. two of thirteen ancient bloodlines.

Karrin, is a woman, with a strong sense of morality, and to all outward appearance, is a hardassed, jaded, young woman. in truth she is really quite emotional, and really cares about people, and family, and her love life. She is a Guardian of the High council of wizards, against the necromancers, Strigoi  (A special particularly strong, hard to kill, fast spreading breed of Vampire) and the forces of the Netherworld. and she is stationed throughout most of the series, in San Fransisco. where TC, often aids her, by calling up the spirit of the Emperor.

TC, on the other hand, almost the opposite. he's extremely cynical, and is genuinely somewhat jaded, he's also quite the ladies man, and while he was alive he indulged in a great many different kinds of substances, and his view of what is right and wrong, is somewhat hazy. unless the crime is against a child, or his family.  and as far as he's concerned the Council, can go and hang itself, (This may be because the council. were the ones who killed him in the first place.)

TC helps, his sister. through a multitude of situations.

including demons, parallel universe's, evil versions of themselves from parallel universe's, undead, necromancers, Warlocks, Hellish deities, as well as heavenly ones.

TC is eventually brought back to life. due to a deal he makes, with Satan himself. so that he can save his sister, from a dangerous situation.

TC lives with his sister, for about five, or six books. but is eventually forced, to leave. due to some steadily growing emotions, towards his sister, that are... less than brotherly, and because of it his judgment is clouded, and he makes a few deals he shouldn't have, and tries to kill this holy warrior of god, who doesn't age.

and because of these decisions made by him, Karrin  decides he can't live with her anymore, so he moves to Canada, where he joins the police's special investigations unit, which contains several other wizards, and some warlocks as well.

and so new series there.

an insanely long one in fact. i'm thinking, Karrin's series, would go on, for about 22 books, or so. and TC's series, would go on, for about 30, plus an extra smaller series, about 8 books long.

Throughout most of TC's series he is a drug addict, and that gets him into trouble on multiple occasions, with both the police, and the High Council. what gets him into even more trouble with the council, is that he practices a forbidden form of magic, known as Arcane magic.

TC is kinda the point, you see. i've been trying, to get to him. i thought of him first, he was inspired, by several hours, of sleeplessness, a whole bunch of House episodes, and a good friend of mine, who passed away.

Ive been trying hard to write this series, but i've just been able to write up clips, and stuff of the story, character profiles, Race profiles, that sort of thing, and i got a pretty good idea how the series, about TC is gonna end. least the first one.

and my ability to write, mostly just seems to come out when i'm listening, to music i like. such as Cruxshadows, Within Temptation, Three Days Grace, Evanescence, and Deathstars.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:40:02 AM by The Grinning Psychopath »
Banned, for Seven days, and seven nights. For being a belligerent, juvenile brat.  Hmmm, I do believe that is the compliment, I have ever received. *Grin* see you all, in seven days, I will be sure, to have dearest Valentine, My love. Save you up a spot, next to him, so you can bask in all his glory

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 01, 2010, 07:33:42 PM »
Wow. Those are some deep well thought out characters for being 14!  I'm impressed!  Sorry about your friend whbo died.  TC seems pretty heavy hitting as main character. What somewhat likeable traits will he have that the reader will identify with and also be empathetic with to keep reader hooked.  Tbey don't have to be likeable but they must intrigue and hold reader.are you caught up on TC so much you are avoiding the sister story?  She's theintriguing one for me. Just make sure she's not being rescued by TC and can do it on her own.  We've got a 250 word thing in here somewhere if you want to float a scene. Welcome!

yep, mis-typed on the crackberry....  I hate that thing...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:14:50 AM by meg_evonne »

Offline The Grinning Psychopath

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 01, 2010, 10:26:16 PM »
Thanks! uh likeable traits of TC.

he's supposed to be charismatic, and quite in love with life. and his moral compass while it may not be up to Dresden's standards, isn't quite so far down that he can be called a bad guy. oh sure i fully intend for him to be, a liar, a thief, a traitor even. but he does care about family, and even whether or not he's going to die without people to mourn his passing, and whether or not he's ever gonna be truly happy, he doesn't think he deserves anyone to mourn his passing, and over the series, he's due to commence battle with his favorite Vice Oxycodone, which could be easily ended at any time, if only Karrin, or another woman who is quite a bit like Karrin, except she's blond. would risk a relationship with him.

and Karrin, well i like her too, but so far all i can concentrate on is TC, its one of the things holding me up.

she is strong, stronger than she even knows in fact, like i said she comes from a powerful bloodline, actually she comes from two powerful bloodlines, as does her brother. Condreus, and Kreel. Kreel is supposed to be among the most powerful, but also among the most corrupt. where as Condreus as well as being powerful, is also supposed to be among the wisest, and the name carries a lot of weight around in the supernatural world, Kreel does too of course, but not usually a good name.

she's so strong in fact, that TC actually erases some of her memories, in order to keep temptation, from the power she's inherited, from overcoming her, and turning her over.

so he won't need to go and save her all the time, in fact in the parallel universe thing, she actually has to come save him! same thing happens when the death of a girlfriend of his, causes him to lose control of his addiction to Oxycodone, and his favorite alcoholic beverage Tequila, she pushes him to go into rehab.

which works for a while, till some particularly bad stuff goes down. Causing him to decided that Synthetic Happiness, while it may be a poor substitute for true happiness, is better than no happiness at all.

oh damn, there i go again, ranting on about TC again, when i should be concentrating on Karrin. *Sigh*

Anyway, Karrin has stuff of her own to go through. such as whether or not to see how a relationship with TC would work out.

How to prevent the Necromancers and Strigoi from forging an Alliance, to destroy the High Council. how to purge the Virus that runs through the veins of the Strigoi. how to prevent a seriously baddass force from breaking through from the Netherworld, and into ours.

then of course there's her love life.

She does love TC, mostly in the normal way a sister does a brother, especially one who's looked after her, in the place of her father, and has taught her most of everything she knows.  but there is a part of her, that Reciprocates his feelings for her.

plus there's that Holy immortal guy i mentioned before, then there's going to be a few more men, One Warlock, one Vampire, and one hispanic Wizard who's the mirror image of TC, in that he's a byronic Hero in almost everyway with many many vices.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:25:29 PM by The Grinning Psychopath »
Banned, for Seven days, and seven nights. For being a belligerent, juvenile brat.  Hmmm, I do believe that is the compliment, I have ever received. *Grin* see you all, in seven days, I will be sure, to have dearest Valentine, My love. Save you up a spot, next to him, so you can bask in all his glory