Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209402 times)

Offline traycon3

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2007, 11:48:15 AM »
Hi...I'm t3, who might (if I ever finish anything) be published under the name A. LeIon or Ana Leion or something similar. I am also a worshiper of the great Spell-Check.
I have written a bunch of poetry and short stories this year for classes. Because, yes, I almost need a deadline to be inspired to write. Also, I've written a few fanfiction short stories, which are pretty ok, if I do say so myself.
However, I do co-write with my best friend. We're working on a story involving magical organizations. Um...*Pulls out notebook she has been working in for over three years* Yes, it did sit for over a year in my friend's dorm collecting DUST!!! *Glowers*
...I had a point. Story.
The story is about organizations, particularly one called The Organization of Sword and Sorcery, an organization intent on keeping the peace. Dean-Walter Houdini, Vinny Malone, Sereno Davis, and Dymphna (Dee) Goldman are the prominent members of this organization.
Dee meets a woman named Zalika Aldram, who finds anything that has to do with magic illogical, despite the fact that she is a Magi herself. Dee enjoys dragging Zalika on random missions with no rhyme or reason, except that Zalika is almost a security blanket when Dee is around her partner Sereno Davis.
On one of the missions, Zalika meets Donovan, a "sleezy hit man", to quote Dee's description.
Um...it hasn't gotten too far into the actual plot, though we do have (had?) a story arch. Somewhere...over the rainbow...with my luck...
Beyond that, I've started a few ideas, but they haven't gotten off the ground. I've been busy, lazy, lazier, reading, lazy again, dealing with writer's block, lazy, and generally just plain lazy. I do hope to actually complete something by the end of college, which doesn't technically start 'till '08. Well, I figure I'd better stop rambling on and on about the fact that I have no social life, let alone a personal life.
I am not an addict. I can quit anytime I want. *Tosses Dresden Files across the room*

*Runs over and scoops it up* I'M SO SORRY! I DIDN'T MEAN IT! PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!

Offline redneckwitch18

• Conversationalist
  • Och Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2007, 06:11:34 PM »
Hi, I plan to write under the name Caroline Peters.
 I began writing in middle school and haven't stopped since. W/ at least 6 started ( and each one well over 50 pages), I am always carrying around a small notebook to jot down new ideas.

Writing mostly sci-fi and romance dramas, I tend to get pretty attached to mine.
For instance, I am writing about a female vampire named Sage. She is the head of a so-called "association" of vampires, yet she doesn't know her past. Her Werewolf lover was assassinated, so she goes on a international investigation with a native American ("Indian") shifter/ bounty hunter to track down all the things her dead man had been doing. Uncovering gov. secrets, she also digs up her Otherworld past involving a Fae male and lost brothers and sisters.

Eventually, she defeats a supernatural entity who was controlling a fairly influential man and finds happiness with her new life, leaving her destructive lonely one in the past.

I know it kind of reeks of un-originality, but hey, it's the stuff that is packed in my head so much that it oozes out of my ears ;)
Brilliance is fleeting, but stupid lasts a while.

http://mepreport.com/quiz/ttp.htm  
I'm a tartan podcast. lol

Read new posts when I remember!
http://novelist10.wordpress.com/

Offline Pippin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2007, 05:01:20 PM »
Hi

I don't clase myself as anything but I enjoy creating stories and working out plots, making worlds and taking the journey with my characters - I guess I write for myself not with the aim of other reading or enjoying them.

I've had about three concepts on the go for the last 7 years but each time I have run in to block and started anew with a different story. One I'm very passionate about but I worry that on paper the idea isn't as good as it seems in my head. Now I have recently found the Dresden Files and this forum I feel a renewed inspiration to have a go.

I'll keep reading your posts and see how things go

Offline Evergrey

• Lurker
  • All I ever wished for was a vengeance on solitude"
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2007, 08:54:35 PM »
Hey, all.

It's my dream to write novels for a living, though thus far I've only written a few short stories and poems. I'm not published, though some of my writing is on Writing.com. This is my portfolio, here: http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/user_id/ledzep. I have a novel outlined in a notebook and I started typing the actual thing up, but haven't worked on it as much as I'd like. Hopefully I can get a lot done this summer. The novel is in a fantasy setting, and I hope to write in mostly that genre as well as horror.

If I do get published, or maybe I should say when I get published, hehe, I'm not sure if I'll use my real name or not. I know I'll use my first name and middle initial, Christopher M.

I guess I can give the basic plot of the novel, hopefully it hasn't really been done yet and I'm not making a fool of myself. The title is Ancestors' Blood, and it's about an evil lord named Damos Medraut who discovers an unknown magic called the Hidden Arcane. The magic was kept hidden for centuries when a family discovered it, when they realized the immense power behind the Hidden Arcane, they kept it secret. In order to keep it from being found, they wrote it in their bloodline rather than on parchment or in a tome. Damos discovers the current bearer of the Hidden Arcane, a girl named Justinia Sioddonel, and creates an army from creatures called malgogs in order to abduct the girl and use her hidden power.

The malgog army, led by Damos' right-hand lizardman, Kar'as Bral, attack the town Justinia is in. She escapes with the help of the hero, Althane Holm, and two visitors to their town, a bard named Thallion Steed, who is half-elven, and a mysterious fighter named Razul Nightfall. Thallion knows of a ghost city named Nazlamath, a place where no magic can enter. They hope to go there to try and hide from Damos' magic while fleeing from the remnants of malgogs chasing them.

That probably sounds really cliche, but I feel my plans for it are original enough.
"We care lest our own lives be empty" - Drizzt Do'Urden
"Tomorrow will take us away, far from home, no one will ever know our names. But the bards' songs will remain." - "The Bard's Song - In the Forest" Blind Guardian

Offline Valkryst

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2007, 04:27:28 PM »
Are you learning to become an author, but haven't yet published professionally?

Tell us about yourself and your work here. (Please don't post samples directly to the board. Links ok.)

Hello everyone, I am indeed an unpublished author...what those who spend far too much time in front of a computer might call a newbie or if their ability to spell without numbers involved is limited, a n00b. I have been writing for myself since I was in first grade, and have recently decided to try my hand at getting published. Honestly I still write for myself, I have no preconceptions about being published or read or even really liked but I figure that if I can share the enjoyment I get out of it then why not?
I used to think it was a terrible thing that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'what if life *were* fair, and all of the terrible things that happen to us came because we really deserved them?' Now I take great comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2007, 06:19:48 PM »
Welcome Valkryst! :)
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline ihatepeas

• Participant
  • An unabashed novel-reader
    • View Profile
    • Dating the Tooth Fairy
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2007, 10:48:55 PM »
Wow, lots of writers and wannabe writers hanging around here. (And I say "wannabe" in the nicest possible way.)

I am 28. I've known since I was 13 that I'd be a writer, but I didn't have a finished novel until I was 25. NaNoWriMo kicked my butt all over the place, but it's gotten me two finished novels and a huge chunk of a third. I started writing bad poetry in seventh grade. In college, two of my classes were poetry workshops--very scary, but I have a style now, thanks to them. After a couple of embarrassing longer stories in high school, I started churning out short stories in high school, but they are mostly crap. I'm better at novels.

I tend to write murder mysteries, not always by design. So many times I start writing, and then someone trips over a body, and it's all downhill from there. But I also write some sci-fi/fantasy, and really bad literary fiction. Right now, I'm working on a teen murder mystery, a sort of fantasy-literary hybrid, something that is a bit of a Doctor Who rip-off just for fun, and I'm running to finish a couple of short stories before a contest deadline rolls around. And somehow I have to find the time to edit, rewrite, and submit. Ha. I eat deadlines for breakfast, with bananas.

--Sarah
"I tracked you down with this. This is my 'timey-wimey' detector. Goes ding when there's stuff. Also, it can boil an egg at thirty paces. Whether you want it to or not, actually, so I've learned to stay away from hens. It's not pretty when they blow." --Doctor Who

Offline Nessus_Wyndestrike

• Lurker
  • Amateur Writer
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart Account
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2007, 01:41:50 AM »
As I've mentioned in the Introduction thread, I am an "author-in-progress" so to speak. I tend to have many ideas, and never the time to sit down and write them out properly. So I am only able to write in spurts.

I hope my new method of planning will help with this.

If you like, I offer a small sampling of my prose. Please, PLEASE do not steal any of my ideas, names, etc., as I plan to publish the material.

***!***!***!***!***!

The temperature dropped fast. The vast study, with its books strewn about, plummeted into a flickering darkness. He stood just below the coldly glinting chandelier in the center of the room.

“You come to me now?” A cloud of breath billowed from thin, bloodless lips. He turned slowly, dramatically, to regard the man hovering in the doorway, “You come to me now, to kill me?” He asked again, a mocking lilt edging his voice.

“To kill you,” The man in the doorway replied, drawing a sword from his side. The blade slid out and the edges gleamed coldly, “To have my revenge for this madness, I will kill you Ibial.”

Ibial laughed then, his hands sweeping outward to gesture to an invisible audience. He spun around, his velvet black robes twisting about his sickly frame, “There is method in this madness!” He brought a long, pale hand to his chin, half-covering the bemused smile upon his face.

“You will die.” The sword came up, to point accusingly at the Magi in the middle of the room, “You will die, accursed magician, I will be the one who will kill you! Your blood will be upon my blade!”

“You are upset now. Poor ignorant Riléc,” Ibial’s back still faced Riléc, who stood in the doorway. He could strike at any time. He did not. Ibial turned his head back toward the sword wielding man, looking over his shoulder, “How can you kill me…. when you are already dead?”

~

The stubs of candles on the mantelpiece flickered as a sudden wind blasted in through the door with a bang. The patrons of the inn shivered as a heavily cloaked man wrestled with the battered hulk of a door. The icy wind halted, and the man heaved a huge sigh, leaning heavily against the wall.

“T’sa bigg’in.” He announced in a deep grunt, “Knew winter was cummin’, but came too fast ‘f ya ask me.”

“Hail ye ta that,” The barkeep agreed, scrubbing at a grimy glass, “So what brings ya t’ these parts, Crais? No noblemen ‘r in need of yer sword right now, aye?”

“Aye.” Crais removed his hood and pulled off his cloak awkwardly, “Yew remember that youngling boy I brough’ in, say ‘bout ten years back? Y’know, th’ boy who could only speak tha’ Elvish language, er whatnot?”

The barkeep scratched at his short, graying beard, “Ah, th’ boy, Riam, was’is name, tha righ’?” He noticed Crais’s hair, which had been chestnut brown the last time he had seen him, was now highlighted by multitudes of grey.

“Aye,” Crais nodded, “Tha’s th’ one. I hear ‘is name now ‘n then, somethin’ ‘bout th’ rise of th’ Gods.” The barkeep’s steady polishing slowed, until it stopped completely. He regarded Crais with steady eyes. Crais rubbed his chin, scratching at the stubble with blunt fingernails.

“Nay, never heard nuthin’ like that,” He frowned and picked up the glass again, not really putting much effort into polishing it. Crais looked thoughtful, leaning on his elbows, “Why would that learn’d boy trouble ‘imself with Gods an’ Temples ‘s? ‘S beyond me. His swordsmanship was fine, finer, almost then ye.”

“I dunna,” Replied Crais, shrugging out of his broadsword. He was safe in the Inn, there would be no need for a sword. At least, he hoped. The rumors of war had been growing, and the march of the third battalion of the Imperial Army was troublesome.

“So why were ye lookin’ fer ‘im?” The bar had gone almost deathly silent.

“I dunna…” Crais said again.

***!***!***!***!***!

Thank you for reading. <=) Ibial's name, in case anyone was wondering, is pronounced Ib-ee-uhl, I as in "ick", two syllables [Ibi-al].

~N.W.
“I did not know you would be so…uninformed.” It was the most creative way anyone had ever suggested that I was ignorant.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2007, 03:54:29 PM »
Hi Nessus,

Just some suggestions.  I'm not sure this is the forum for putting out our work, but there are apparently some great sites in another thread under authors.  I'd suggest looking into those and you can get someone to really do a thorough critique on your work.  One named was critters.com. I was impressed with the site when I visited and plan to use it myself.  I'm not published and seriously doubt I would ever go through all those hoops, BUT I've learned that the ability to critique others work will ONLY INCREASE your skill!

I've found that taking a class will help you stick to a structure.  Checkout sites on line, including mediabistro.com.

Good luck on your writing!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Nessus_Wyndestrike

• Lurker
  • Amateur Writer
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart Account
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2007, 05:46:30 PM »
Thanks, Meg. =) I'm still in the process, as it were, still in college and majoring in English. [Just started sophomore year, actually.] I know I'm still a fledgling writer and am always looking for a good place to gather critiques.

Thanks for the tips. =>

The piece, I know, is not anywhere near my best piece of work in my opinion. X) And I know the structure sucks. =x The writing’s almost a year old now.  :-\
“I did not know you would be so…uninformed.” It was the most creative way anyone had ever suggested that I was ignorant.

Offline Saliath

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2007, 04:46:32 AM »
lol now you all are probibaly gonna laugh at me. (Right now I am thinking "Oh S*** what the hell am I doing." And for the record hell is not a curse word.) Anyway.... where was I..... Oh yea. Name is Sam. I have 3 Books unpublished and still in the works. One is called The Solder. It is basically about a solder who first starts out in the military academy and works his way to  D-Day (WW2). As I said still in the making.
My second is not that great. I don't even have a title for it. I was just thinking about quitting on that.
Now my third one (Sorry Jim. I'm a big fan of Dresden files, but I can't do your kinda magik.... yet.) Its actually based off of star wars and am proud to say there is a lot of lightsaber action and takes place in the clone war era. (thats why i was thinking "Oh S***"} anyway I am 16 Sophmore. and hoping to live the...... whoever the hell wrote the eragon series and is hooked for life. But that seems a little far away since i lost my inspiration spark that makes you wanna write. so might just fall back on computer networking. lol
If you find yourself going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2007, 06:44:08 AM »
I've asked a couple of questions on this board already, but I haven't fully introduced myself. My name's Craig. I'm currently a senior up at a college in Albany NY. I wrote my first novella when I was in HS, it was drek, but it was mine. I started taking my writing seriously in college because it was the only real way I could express myself. Now I'm the new Editor and Chief of my college's literary magazine (though I still go unpublished).

I'm currently working on the first of a contemporary fantasy trilogy (I plan on writing an essay on the subject of Trilogies) set in New York City (where I live and love). The Backstory is about how a sub-set of humanity, more cousins than mutants as they've been around as long as we have. They are the basis for all the legends we've heard about Oracle's, Shamans, Witches, Giants, Werewolves, Vampires and nearly everything else. They all live their lives like we do, but they also have this other social world that they all live in. They've lived with us, protected us, tormented us, since time imemorial, until 1945, when humans decided to forge a power they were not ready for. After the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagsaki, the ones who were legends (known by each other as Alts), were weakend, any of their children born after that were born as any normal human would be.

This lead to what was known as the Blackout, the Alts had never before experience. The world had turned itself on it's head. the gods were no longer in power, and the humans were give more power thean they knew what to deal with. To compound problems, the generation after the blank alts were not born blank. So now these new alts, children just coming into their own powers are haunted by the might of beens of their parents and the long since dormant expectations of their grandparents. They're powerful and confused...but then again, aren't all of the young?

I've been reading the Dresden Files (and watching the show), The Dune Series, American Gods, The Dark Tower series. I've also been watching Heroes, which is perfect in blending powers with real life.

I look forward to talking to some of you and getting/giving feedback.

Take Care,

C

Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Evergrey

• Lurker
  • All I ever wished for was a vengeance on solitude"
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2007, 04:51:48 AM »
I guess I can give the basic plot of the novel,

As of now I've made a couple changes to the plot, added in and changed some character and hopefully made the whole thing stronger. I've been typing up the outline and making it a lot more detailed, so I still haven't really written much of the actual story. I'm ashamed because I wasted the whole summer when I could've been taking care of the outline and now school has started again and I just keep denying my writing attention it needs.
"We care lest our own lives be empty" - Drizzt Do'Urden
"Tomorrow will take us away, far from home, no one will ever know our names. But the bards' songs will remain." - "The Bard's Song - In the Forest" Blind Guardian

Offline SunPhoenix

• Conversationalist
  • Unlike some people Stupidity doesn't discriminate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2007, 11:32:52 PM »
Names Curt. I've been a reader of lots of various books which the latest of which is the Dresden Files with Proven Guilty. I'm 17 in my senior year of high school and haven't really written anything longer than little snips of stories at most 3 or so pages long. I know some of my teachers have agreed that some of my written essays for some of the classes has been intriguing to read. While some of them as I've been told have seemed to be (plajurised?). I know it doesn't really amount to the tact needed to write a whole book but I know with some recent ideas that I really have spurred me to atleast atempt to write a book. I have a 3 page outline of what I want in 3 possible books that are kinda in a series but seperate unique events. So far haven't tried doing character boards or anything along those lines.

I just found this website and have been looking through the forums to find good sources of inspiration and hopefully get some good information also.

Offline Mightybri

• Lurker
  • You can tell the story by the scars
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2007, 12:11:52 AM »
Hey all-

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a bit of an eccentric life that has led me in several directions.

I recently started a job that unfortunately closed off my time to write, but before that I was a storm chaser, photographer, ordained minister, and worked medicine for 13 years.

Here’s some chase logs and photos:  http://belzeebub.deviantart.com/ and http://members.cox.net/mightybri

I became interested in writing after a wonderful teacher suggested that I try it for a contest.  I didn’t place, but my teacher loved my writing.  My academic career took forever because I always forced a couple writing or lit courses to fuel my imagination while taking chemistry and biology classes.

Anyhow, I finished my first novel, a young adult adventure, back in 2002 and have not revisited it since.  My next novel was described as a detective novel meets Clive Barker, “Hell to Pay”.

“A man who thinks he lost his soul, meets a man who has.”

I’ve had several agents show interest and have been shopping it around.  I’m still waiting for that call though.  At least being a full time writer would allow me more chasing time in the spring while doing book tours.
You can tell the story by the scars.