Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209391 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #330 on: January 19, 2010, 11:49:33 PM »
Welcome Eddie!  Wow, for a beginning writer you are already doing all the right things.  Good luck getting to know your character and setting up your outline! 

As to JB's writing journal, I wonder how many of us were inspired to set down and get serious as a result.  I suspect that he would be the first to say, "Go for it!" 

Go for it, Eddie!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Slapdaddy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 20, 2010, 02:11:02 AM »
Thank you kindly, Meg. (I was hoping someone would say hi  ;D )
The huge golden space ship hung in the air in almost exactly the way a brick doesn't. - Douglas Adams

Offline Sean 'Bjørn' Blackstone

• Conversationalist
  • Igni ex Nihilo
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 26, 2010, 01:44:08 AM »
haha i was kindly suggested to this particular board by Capn Hammer'  :D

well, ive been writing since i was very little, which wasnt that long ago haha but ive been serious about it for quite a few years now. ive been told i have talent, by just about anyone and everyone whos ever read my work. guess there must be something there lol
well ive tried to write many things within the past 3 years, and i only get so far. i always seem to self destruct the storyline after a few pages. i have trouble with keeping it going. so heres a little something, my ideas so far, and at the moment im naming characters and working out my storyline. http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,15352.0.html
"This stuff right here will make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me."

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 03, 2010, 01:03:42 AM »
Just poked my head in and realized no one had welcomed you Sean!  So welcome!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Sean 'Bjørn' Blackstone

• Conversationalist
  • Igni ex Nihilo
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 03, 2010, 01:06:45 AM »
 :D haha thanks meg.
"This stuff right here will make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me."

Offline Panda - Chan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Panda's Site for Creativity
« Reply #335 on: February 22, 2010, 01:21:22 AM »
My name is Jasmine, but my Pen Name is Panda - Chan.
I write about all sorts of topics, but mainly dark fantasy. I rarely ever write science fiction, but I would be willing to give it a try.
Most of my stories involve action/violence, romance, and adventure and probably mystery. I make up new races and write about younger characters that are going through hardships and difficulties.
Also, do not get me mixed up with Stephanie Meyer, I hate Twilight and if I write about vampires there is going to be more blood sucking.
My goal is to find a publisher before I'm 16, so I'm trying very hard to finish a legible book and find a publisher.
If you'd like a few examples check here:
http://www.wildacademy.webs.com
http://pandawritings.webs.com
and my live journal is is Twistedpandao_o
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:01:20 AM by Panda - Chan »
In front of your eyes, it falls from the skies
When you don't know what you're looking to find
More memories fell and crashed against the ground in the raindrops that fell that day,
I had no idea what was going to happen,
Right before my own eyes, I saw all our happy and beautiful memories break

Offline LoneWolf1590

• Lurker
  • Peace can only be aquired through bloodshed
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 26, 2010, 11:02:21 AM »
Hi my name's Matt i'm nineteen years old and a hopefully up-and-coming author. For the past couple years i've been writing this novel that i don't even have a name for yet lol. granted it's my first attempt at a novel i want to hit it home the first time, but i feel that it won't happen right away. I'm trying to create a medieval fantasy world. Jim's books, namely the Codex Alera, have inspired me greatly and I can't wait for april by the way Jim :). Anyway The book is very adult orientated and once it's done i'm going to have to go back through and rewrite some of the battle scenes so that they're not as gory as I have them out to be right now. really the reason i joined this forum is to get some brainstorming feedback because i'm stuck on a few key points that are keeping me from completing the novel. Granted it's short right now but I found i like to think about the beginning and the end of the book, how i want to start it and where i want it to be before it's done. And then I'll fill in everything else as I go. Sounds like a bad way of writing for me but it works i suppose. Any help would be appreciated :)
Peace can't be aquired through war, for war is forever, peace must be aquired through the means of self sacrifice for the greater good. If peace cannot be attained through self sacrifice, then blood will be shed and innocent lives will be lost until someone steps forward.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 26, 2010, 03:49:31 PM »
Welcome and whatever works.  I've heard that it isn't until the 6th novel that most authors hit a publishing contact--so enjoy the process and keep your brain humming.  There is always the novella of about 20,000 words as an option as well. 

Did you find JBs writer's blog?  If not, when you first click in, look to the right of the forum button and Jim's blog or something like that.  He's got a great 'swampy middle' section. 

And enjoy the site!

Meg

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 28, 2010, 09:45:44 PM »
Y'know what cemented for me that I'll never be able to quit my day job, even if I sell a few books?  Tanya Huff still has to work a day job. How many books does she have out now?  I've read all of them, and loved most of them.  Scary.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 01, 2010, 12:08:04 AM »
Hey Panda, Panda, Panda!  You going to Fayette?  (This is the Panda from KC area right?  I mean how many pandas can there be in here?)
Y'know what cemented for me that I'll never be able to quit my day job, even if I sell a few books?  Tanya Huff still has to work a day job. How many books does she have out now?  I've read all of them, and loved most of them.  Scary.
  which is why writing for your own pleasure is a vocation not a career for what-- 90% of novel writers? 

Offline KarlTenBrew

• Conversationalist
  • The good and the bad, but the gun doesn't hurt
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 01, 2010, 10:40:47 PM »
  which is why writing for your own pleasure is a vocation not a career for what-- 90% of novel writers? 

Ayup.  And welcome welcome!  Good to see new budding vict*cough* aspiring dreamers ;)
Am I a wannabe who won't finish, or tadpole author waiting to grow up?  Probably the former, but we'll find out later.

'Agents of C.R.O.S.S.' - coming soon(ish)©®™ to a bookstore near you, courtesy of Karl TenBrew

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 02, 2010, 01:12:02 AM »
Ayup.  And welcome welcome!  Good to see new budding vict*cough* aspiring dreamers ;)
  LOL *handing Brew a brew!* 

Offline Craz

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Superheroes and Sorcerors
« Reply #342 on: March 02, 2010, 04:22:20 AM »
I'm....back?

Yea, okay, it's me. If you don't know me, well, hey, not much to know. My name's Justen(waits for the 'Hi, Justen'), and I write a paranormal series called the American Arcane. The series has a few short stories under its belt, and is currently working on transitioning to a novel form. I'm working on it!

Links are in the signature. ;) Reads and reviews are always appreciated.
J.A.H., author.

Check out Superheroes and Sorcerors, my blog and archive at http://justenhunter.com !

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
  • Angst Muffin~plot bunny breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 02, 2010, 04:28:45 AM »
Yay! Welcome back.

So I guess I should say I don't know that I ever hope to be published, but I do write.  So far I've not settled into any particular genre.  I've completed one Urban Fantasy short story, a collaborative novella about superhero teens and my big project on the horizon is about a race of magical beings who walk through/influence/direct dreams.

I'm also a fangirl of Craz's Jake.  :D  Love him.  You should really check out the archives. 

And when I finally figure out how to organize my stuff and where it's going on the interwebs I'll share.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 02, 2010, 05:24:15 AM »
And a huge welcome back Justen and a hello to his fangirl IS.  I'll drop by and do some catch up reading. 

And my daughter won several debates by quoting the great Dr. Seuss, super sig lady!