Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209445 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #285 on: October 28, 2009, 07:04:53 PM »
"writing excuses" is great.  I agree and welcome fellow writer.  May your angst be brief and your enjoyment long.  Make sure and keep us posted, okay?  I'm so sorry for your Grandfather's passing, but it sounds like he had a loving family around him, which a huge blessing right there.

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline mightyutuvan

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Semi-Geek Blog
« Reply #286 on: October 28, 2009, 07:12:06 PM »
He did indeed.  I apologize for bringing the angst.  Life really is good.  I am happy, just more...determined now.
My Blog; The Semi-Geek http://mightyutu.blogspot.com/

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 28, 2009, 10:18:21 PM »
Hey, angst broke the writer's line for you. Ain't anything wrong w/angst in my book, unless you wallow in it...  Thank you for sharing. 

You know, I've written for ages, but didn't start to Write until Madeleine L'Engle died.  I moped for days and came out of it writing a storm, got serious, took classes, actually let someone read what I wrote, and three and a half years later.... I'm maybe getting there.  So never apologize for angst. 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 29, 2009, 01:30:20 AM »
Welcome aboard mightyutuvan. I'm sorry to heart about your grandfather's passing. I wish you and your family the best.

Glad to hear you're writing! I see you're determined. That's definitely a good thing. For me writing had become more than a hobby (sometimes it's like an affliction) so I know where you're coming from.  This is a good place to meet and share ideas. I think you'll find a lot of encouragement and knowledge from the people that frequent these boards. So again, welcome!

Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Miss Witch

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 30, 2009, 05:17:19 AM »
I am sorry to hear about your granddad mightyutuvan.  Sometimes it takes something shocking to kind of put your life in review.  I think tragedy bores some of the best writing.  It sounds a little dark but I think it's true.  I find writing to to be cathartic and usually when I'm feeling mopey and depressed some of my best mirco pieces come out.  But if you have have any questions or need help this is the place to come to.  BTW thanks for the help meg!

Just curious as to what every one is working on now?

Offline SCARPA

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 03, 2009, 06:47:30 PM »
My name is Thomas Barczak, I am an Architect by profession. Huge fan of Jim Butcher's work.  I just finished up a draft of my novel, Veil of the Dragon. Been working on it for 6-7 years. Taking a month or so off to research, and regroup before I go back for a final edit, then solicitation of Publishers. So far, ive gotten good response from those who know about writing along with some pretty good input on how I can make it better. I enjoy what you have with this forum. Pretty excited in general to have gotten as far as I have. Thanks.

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 07, 2009, 07:14:36 AM »
To answer your question, miss witch -

Wikipedia article on Mary Sue

A much more in-depth look at Mary Sues. <-- warning, this is a TVtropes link, warning, warning.

And here's the test meg_evonne was talking about earlier - The Mary Sue Litmus Test. Take this test to find out if your character falls into the realm of Mary Sue. If she does, then you may have a bit of a problem.

also- MS would stand for Mary Sue, while MC stands for Main Character. Hopefully, these two things are not the same. XD
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 07:18:39 AM by jeno »
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Miss Witch

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 10, 2009, 01:23:30 AM »
Thanks so much Jeno!  I appreciate it.  While I've been writing for a while it's my first time writing something that might actually lead to something else in the future.  In other words taking my writing some what more seriously than before.  I shall look up the links:D  Cheers

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 11, 2009, 06:28:02 AM »
I wish you luck!
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Philliph

• Participant
  • Because there aren't any explosions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 17, 2009, 01:02:09 PM »
Dear lord i need to become more frequent on this site. i'm gone for a month and BOOM! 10 more posts. I dont have much to say, except for i'm filling up my folders with ideas for future books, but school takes up so much time that all i can do is fantasize on my breaks. i may have something more fruitful to say in the future, but, Miss Witch, your idea sounds amazing and i LOVE to write about magic, sorcery, and all that cool stuff. throw a question out and i'll reply. hopefully with something useful.

Adios.
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for mankind.
-Horace Mann

A little rule, a little sway
A sunbeam in a winters day
Is all the proud and might have
between the cradle and the grave.
-John Dyer

Offline KarlTenBrew

• Conversationalist
  • The good and the bad, but the gun doesn't hurt
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 21, 2009, 05:06:38 PM »
Sorry to hear it mighty, but glad you're on the writer's track!  The energy you're talking about is a good thing, and I hope it carries you far.

On a personal note, I've updated status to 'working student' and have an entire book nearly up to 'first complete edited draft'.  It even has a complete prequel stewing.  At first I tried the 'pre-plot' method, but it just didn't work for me.  The story always ended up shucking my plans, because the plan was either too detailed or too broad.  What I ended up with was a bunch of disconnected, sequential but not time-specific scenes. 

So I worked with that.  I started focusing on the scene, not bothering to analyze what I was writing until it was down.  I also mixed in writing completely unrelated during the time: fan-fiction, writing exercises, essays.  This what a lot better than brain-storming a plot first, because as I was writing pieces fell together unconsciously.  Taking the sequences I was forming unintentionally, I worked scenes formerly with no relation into the thread of a cohesive story.  So now I've got a complete book and prequel [or I guess a dulogy if I do them both] with an undefined future for if things work out.

I've already have some pre-readers to help me out and am reseraching publishing.  So in the words of Dogbert, I WOULD wish you all luck..."but wouldn't that leave less luck for me?"  ;)  Hope all the rest of you are doing well in your aspirations!
Am I a wannabe who won't finish, or tadpole author waiting to grow up?  Probably the former, but we'll find out later.

'Agents of C.R.O.S.S.' - coming soon(ish)©®™ to a bookstore near you, courtesy of Karl TenBrew

Offline mightyutuvan

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Semi-Geek Blog
« Reply #296 on: December 08, 2009, 02:31:34 AM »
So I mailed off my first short story to a magazine today, no doubt triggering my first rejection letter. 

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #297 on: December 08, 2009, 05:55:54 PM »
So hi, I'm Jaeh....er, so I'm a college student living in the Philippines hoping to publish a novel-in-progress if its... you know, publishable. If not, I'd live with it. If I get around to actually finding a place to publish it and get it around in this country, I would be really, really happy. And if gets published, I doubt almost anyone here would get to see it, lol.

It sounds really juvenile-ish, and would probably end up as a young adult book if it goes down that road (I still have to fix stuff, if that happens, haha), but the novel is about some author who got sucked into her own book. It sounds so... fanfictiony, but the "twist" with this one is she doesn't know hat's happen in her own book and.. stuff. So... yeah. I just hope it would work out. :D
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 08, 2009, 06:16:44 PM »
So I mailed off my first short story to a magazine today, no doubt triggering my first rejection letter. 

Save it. :D  I have my four or five saved, including the personal one from Gordon Van Gelder that's tacked up above my desk.  Some rejection letters are the next best thing to an acceptance letter!
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline mightyutuvan

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Semi-Geek Blog
« Reply #299 on: December 08, 2009, 06:37:25 PM »
Save it. :D  I have my four or five saved, including the personal one from Gordon Van Gelder that's tacked up above my desk.  Some rejection letters are the next best thing to an acceptance letter!

Yep, that was the very name on the envelope.  Actually completing, editing, formatting and mailing off the short story felt like an accomplishment itself.  Dang I hope mine's personal!  ;)