Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209364 times)

Offline Flintlock

• Conversationalist
  • Black Council Intern
    • View Profile
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #255 on: August 06, 2009, 09:43:34 PM »
and then you missed half your TV show or your Kool-aid has gone warm... :P
it was a DVD, actually.
Proxima est Mors

Offline DrygonDM

• Posty McPostington
  • Random Encounter #13
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon's Den
« Reply #256 on: August 06, 2009, 10:17:30 PM »
DVDs and Blu-Rays - and even Computer-compatable Disks - also come in handy.

Respect must be earned.

If, in the Land of the Blind, the One Eyed Man is King - imagine the power of anyone that can clearly see !!!

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #257 on: August 13, 2009, 02:55:27 AM »
oh dear lord, yes. i got one of those damn ideas watching tv and drinking Kool-aid (completely unrelated) and it's one of those ideas that put on a wrestler's leotard and puts your brain in a full nelson until you write it all down (which was probably 3 hours later)

Exactly! If you look around carefully enough, you might track down a copy of the original "Buckaroo Banzai" novel, in which the author (Earl Mac Raouch, as the spine of the book four feet from my chair tells me) points out that Dr. Banzai has gotten his most nifty ideas in the Bathroom, the Bedroom and on the Bus. (something about the prevalence of negatively-ionized air in those areas...) Therefore, notebooks and writing implements are always close to hand in all three of these critical areas. Of course, this was before the advent of cell phones with sound-recorder capacity, so you could just dictate into that (and try your luck with crappy sound quality).

Take a tip from Buckaroo, kids: keep paper and pen or a recorder handy whenever possible! The story idea you save could be the one that catapults you to wealth and fame! Or at least into the next higher tax bracket...
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline JGrace

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 14, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »
Hello All!!

My name is Jim Grace and I an working on my first full-length novel, Descent Into Darkness.  (Technically I'm finishing the first draft of my first book while I work on my second.)   It's a modern-day Vampire/Zombie story loosely based on the Vampires Live iphone game.

I can see I've got a LOT of posts to catch up on here!  It's awesome to find such a creative bunch of folks!

Great to see you all here!

JG

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 15, 2009, 01:47:49 PM »
welcome JG! 

(on the initial community board is a link to JB's writer craft notes, well worth a visit and sometimes hard to find.  So just a heads up when you see people commenting on them!)

We look forward to seeing you around.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline JGrace

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 23, 2009, 01:54:49 AM »
Oh I've been reading Jim's writing tips and they're great!  (It's really cool to see some of them I've already been practicing!)   ;D  I hope to be able to spend more time here to get inspiration!

Thanks for the welcome!

Offline DrygonDM

• Posty McPostington
  • Random Encounter #13
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon's Den
« Reply #261 on: August 23, 2009, 05:50:55 AM »
Be thou welcome here, JGrace.

Don't forget to drop in MacAnally's and drop a hello line in Introductions - lots of people will be glad to see you.
Respect must be earned.

If, in the Land of the Blind, the One Eyed Man is King - imagine the power of anyone that can clearly see !!!

Offline Gruud

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 23, 2009, 03:46:51 PM »
... on the initial community board is a link to JB's writer craft notes ...

Did he ever finish these, elsewhere perhaps?

I think they are great bits,and I would love to see his take on antagonist/protagonist, etc.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 24, 2009, 09:03:34 PM »
Did he ever finish these, elsewhere perhaps?
  It think we prefer that he keep churning out Harry books as a top priority.
I think they are great bits,and I would love to see his take on antagonist/protagonist, etc.
  Recently mentioned in this thread somewhere is something called, writingexcuses.com. (web cast)  They have a great discussion on that if you've never found it before.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline SCARPA

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 04, 2009, 06:22:39 PM »
My name is Tom Barczak. I am an Architect and currently finishing the latest draft of a fantasy novel I have been at for 7 years, give or take. I have definatly been learning the craft as I go and have had and have some great teachers. It has long been a dream to write a novel and I finally think I am beginning to get it, this writing thing. With any luck I expect to finish the draft by end of October, at which point I will start looking into how to sell it. It has definately been a journey.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 05, 2009, 01:25:26 PM »
Welcome and we will all look forward as you post your progress.

Offline JGrace

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 05, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »
Congrats Tom!  It sounds like we're in the same boat!  (Well, your boat is fantasy-powered and mine in rowed by Vampires/Zombies).  I've got the rough draft complete and am working on the "final" draft that I'll be sending out to publishers.  I'm looking to be done by sometime in October as well.   Good luck to ya!

JG

Offline Philliph

• Participant
  • Because there aren't any explosions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 14, 2009, 07:41:02 PM »
Hello guys. I haven't been on this website for about a month and i've been stubborn and not looking at Jim's blog about how to write. I have even bought the book called /On Writing/ by Stephen King. But, until i feel the time is right(i might just be arrogant at the moment) i will not read anything. I have also decided that a very efficient way to write chapters is to definitively outline them. Oh! and Meg_Evonne. i'm glad you never did anything with the idea for a book i sent you. i have extraploated on the idea and the happenings and it is definitely going to be a WTF why did you do that?!?!?!? rage type of book that are going to keep people on edge. The idea i'm talking about is the one that seems like The Matrix. Hehee. Also, i have decided to wait until i am done with my second book(plot is set in alternate world in the past.) to publish them. That is the book that i'm setting the big money on. A scene i have
(click to show/hide)
That scene is going to be epic. I'm trusting the people who read that spoiler to not rip me off, because i'm trying to do original things. its hard though. stupid being born after the whole Writing Books Of Fantasy craze went on in the last 100 years. grr.
I feel like i could ramble on for hours
Anyways, if anybody would like to talk to me i love to talk to people and i love friends even more. Lalalala...
Glad i'm only 16 though, i have a lot of time to be awesome and write books. Tralalalalaa...
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for mankind.
-Horace Mann

A little rule, a little sway
A sunbeam in a winters day
Is all the proud and might have
between the cradle and the grave.
-John Dyer

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 14, 2009, 08:32:41 PM »
Philliph, see.  I told you so.  Keep all your off hand ideas!  You never know when they will decide to blossom into something interesting.  Best wishes to you.  The King, "On Writing" is on several websites with strong recs. I haven't read it yet, so let me know what you think when you do.  Later.

Offline Philliph

• Participant
  • Because there aren't any explosions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 14, 2009, 08:41:14 PM »
Ahh, and i never realized this until a few months ago, but having aspiring writers as friends is very useful. You teach eachother A LOT. I, unkowingly, have been using techiniques that they never thought of. and likewise for them. Unfortunately though, they never slash and tear at my work when i need critiquing. Silly nice friends.
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for mankind.
-Horace Mann

A little rule, a little sway
A sunbeam in a winters day
Is all the proud and might have
between the cradle and the grave.
-John Dyer