Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209403 times)

Offline Philliph

• Participant
  • Because there aren't any explosions.
    • View Profile
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #240 on: July 11, 2009, 09:16:30 AM »
 :-[

My name is Philliph Province

I have been working on my book for four months now, i'm 15 years old, and i have 36 pages of material(10 font Arial Text, single spaced with one collective inch taken off of the sides to be a close fit for an actual book's size.) I don't exactly know the mechanics of writing yet, but i think i am developing a collaboration of other authors styles to make my own. If anyone here is a published author, please contact me because (I believe) I am in need of critiquing, as nobody that i know is knowledgable enough to give me the kind that I need. I only have 3 1/2 chapters completed, with the Prologue and Chapter 1 revised to hell. I'm just not very confident in my ability to write yet, and this is the first thing i have actually tried doing except for the necessities in English class.

But now, a little about my character. His name is Ranulf Iriquois Tesven and his father was a commander of the 3rd division of the Pantinimian Army. Ranulf, though, is a 15 year old(go figure) that is on his way to an adolescent training camp in Roth Duren to the west of his home town Reor Fliyon. If this had a timeframe in relativity to the history of the civilizations of humans, i would say just around the enlightenment period, when people were just begining to get an understanding of the world but were still waging war with eachother as if it were a hobby.

In this book, everyone can use the elements to their advantages. Everyone. The elements are: Earth, Fire, Water, Wind, Lightning, Energy, and Time.
Earth, energy, and time are unique.

-Earth. Those who posses this element can harness every ability(except for time, energy, and lightning) and use it to a small degree(only the masters). Their control over the ground and anything that directly comes from it is supreme.

-Energy. It is what flows throughout everyone. It's power is derived from lightning, but those who posess the ability of the control over lightning cannot use it. Energy users(the masters) can use lightning and do things the lightnig users cannot with it. The actual description of it and its uses are far too long for me to post here.

-Time. Can change the functionalty of your brain and body. Time is relative and is based on perception. Change the way you percieve it, and it seems to change itself. the users-which are very few in number, even by the standars of total population-can speed up, slow, and stop time.

The other elements are as you would expect them.

You can also use(these are not elements)
(learned)
Magic (spoken)
Magic (Hand and thought)
Alchemi
Alchemy
Sorcery
Necromancy
(innate, but not elements)
Light
Mind Breaking

and maybe more...i might have already overdone it.

But, if you want to read the prologue and the first chapter, and i sorely hope you do, message me on this accout giving me your email addess, and i will personally email it to you.

Thanks ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:06:11 PM by PhillPro »
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for mankind.
-Horace Mann

A little rule, a little sway
A sunbeam in a winters day
Is all the proud and might have
between the cradle and the grave.
-John Dyer

Offline DrygonDM

• Posty McPostington
  • Random Encounter #13
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon's Den
« Reply #241 on: July 11, 2009, 03:46:31 PM »
Rob: Thou are I are quite alike:

I don't know that I consider myself an author, as much as I do a writer. In my brain, authors write with publishing in mind -- I just write to write, and have been doing so ever since I can remember.

In school, I wrote mainly for my D&D campaign, adventures, adventure logs, bits and pieces of "history," that sort of stuff. I wrote a few other things in my later high school years, and my senior year English teacher strongly advised that I attend a summer writing workshop, which I did, and have not regretted.

Most of my compositions are technically FanFic: D&D, C.J. Corella's Witchcraft, Star Wars, Star Trek.
Sure, I can create interesting Backgrounds for each Character, and even Histories for entire Kingdoms.
But - For the most part, I am best at responsive writing.
And for those that might be reading this, and be wondering what that is: Think about how a story is written. (Apologies to those that already know.)

One Character's view is represented as the tale unfolds: and other Character's observed behavior ,and stated opinions, can influence the Primary's actions/reactions. Mr Butcher's representation of Harry Dresden is a good example of this.

Now, take that and add the effect of every Character in the story is represented by a writing person.
Imagine that you get to see Murphy's view, along with Butter's View, along with Molly's view.
And even get a deeper view into Cowl's personality - or Old Nic's.

But, remember that while you (the Writer) can read these deep thoughts about these others, you can only respond to what your Character has actually
experienced. Which is far more challenging, to me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phillop: Greetings.

I have sent you a PM. Was not sure if I should try and post it here.
Respond at your convience.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 03:49:09 PM by DrygonDM »
Respect must be earned.

If, in the Land of the Blind, the One Eyed Man is King - imagine the power of anyone that can clearly see !!!

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 11, 2009, 06:44:12 PM »
Hi and welcome.  It sounds like you've aleady got your mind around this.  I hope it's the first of many!

Some basics I've picked up.  Pretty stardard to use a footed font like NY. Times, font 12, double spaced.  Save your scenes or cha@ters w/ an edit # AND keep the old edits.  Never know when you will want something you cut for later in the manuscript. I use 01.05 for example, meaning chap 1, 5th edit.  Far from perfect as you end up cutting or inserting chapters which blows your sequence number. :-(

Try to outline.  Every teacher says that but it is true! It works. And write a one or two sentence premise right away.  Handy to have.

Best wishes on your writing. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:44:11 PM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Philliph

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 11, 2009, 11:35:33 PM »
These are potentially very helpfull. hmm...i need to bookmark this page.

I have pretty much spent the past day on this site(mostly in the area of "Author Cratft")and i have already learned things that my teachers, seemingly purposely, describe in the most complex of ways...I think many english teachers need to be replaced with you guys. Are teachers trained specifically for the purpose of being overly complicated to understand...Now, to start walking away from my complaint box, I think the better of the authors that i have read from and can remember by name are these.

Those besides the over glorified authors like-im sorry for this- Christopher Paolini(good plot) and Stephanie Meyer(good romance). Both had good ideas but they were eaten up like cocaine from an addict.

Eoin Coelfer
Jim Butcher(thats why i'm on this site.)
Neal Shusterman
Anne Bishop(author of the black jewels trilogy. you'll have a mental orgasm at the end of the trilogy...)
Darren Shan. This is probably my 1st or 2nd favorite author of all time. The Darran shan series of books was mouth watering, but also the first series i completed, and that is what had gotten me into reading and potentially writing. He writes about Vampires. good stuff.

There are more but i cant think of the names.

And oddly enough, you may laugh, but the idea for my book came hitting me light a damn Freight train while watching the movie "Semi Pro" I'm not kidding. The scene that popped in my head will be a scene in the 5th chapter. and i just planned on working my way towards it and beyond. This seems a little bit ridiculous.

Do any of you have ideas for books that come at the most odd of times?

I think we all need some comedy and laughs in life. its like my second oxygen.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:37:50 PM by PhillPro »
-Horace Mann

-John Dyer

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2009, 05:43:07 AM »
These are potentially very helpfull. hmm...i need to bookmark this page.

I have pretty much spent the past day on this site(mostly in the area of "Author Cratft")and i have already learned things that my teachers, seemingly purposely, describe in the most complex of ways...I think many english teachers need to be replaced with you guys. Are teachers trained specifically for the purpose of being overly complicated to understand...Now, to start walking away from my complaint box, I think the better of the authors that i have read from and can remember by name are these.

It's not so much that teachers are purposefully complex.  From what I remember, I would say it's more that they're trying to explain something that's not always very coherent(the English language and grammar) and try to do so in the best way they can.  But don't always do very well doing it.  And remember, the majority of them teach the same thing several times a day.  I didn't have a teacher who explain grammar and sentence diagrams well until my senior year of high school.  When it comes to writing, it can a lot of times come down to the saying "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach."  Not always true, but I've found that the better writing advice I've gotten was from reading author blogs moreso than from my college professors because the authors are being published.  My professors were more literary writers and had maybe one or two things published.  And if you haven't read it yet, read JB's blog.  That and Stephen King's On Writing are two of the best things I've read about writing.

Always.  And almost always when I'm completely unable to write anything down.  Like in the shower.  Or driving a long distance in the middle of the night.

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2009, 06:03:26 PM »
Always.  And almost always when I'm completely unable to write anything down.  Like in the shower.  Or driving a long distance in the middle of the night.

LOL, which author wrote that they kept a water proof pad in the shower--just for that reason!?!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline kjpowers

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Profile - The Roosevelt Institution
« Reply #246 on: July 20, 2009, 10:32:22 PM »
Well hello!

Kevin J. Powers here, budding author, storyteller, and student of history. I haven't had any fiction published yet, though I have had several Op/Eds published in newspapers and websites around the country. I'm often typing away at something as part of my job as a Legislative Consultant for the California State Assembly and my prior work in Public Interest advocacy.

I've always said that publishing fiction was  a personal "pipe dream" of mine; I knew writing was something that I wanted to do but had no idea how to get there. My work in politics can be very time-intensive, and I've often found myself doodling in my notes or mapping out elaborate stories when I perhaps I should be otherwise more attentive ;) I've decided that the best way for me to realize my dream is to just write, plot, and write some more.

For 8 years or so I've simmed in Star Trek PbEM RPGs, and I also took several creative writing classes while studying for my minor in English. I'm currently working on a short story about two California Department of Justice Special Agents, and ultimately I would love to write some thriller/mystery-type novels. I'm just chipping away at it all right now.

I love urban fantasy, mystery, and even a little high fantasy (though that can get a bit ponderous). I love collaborating with other writers and I think I'm a fairly good sounding board. If anyone is interested in having someone edit over your work and provide some good constructive criticism, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

I'm looking forward to working with you all in the future!

Best,

Kevin

"It behooves every man to remember that the work of the critic is of altogether secondary importance, and that, in the end, progress is accomplished by the man who does things. "

-President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Philliph

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 28, 2009, 04:16:09 AM »
I think we ran out of aspiring authors...
-Horace Mann

-John Dyer

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 31, 2009, 08:51:43 PM »
What? out of aspiring authors?  Never!  They's lurking....

Offline DrygonDM

• Posty McPostington
  • Random Encounter #13
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon's Den
« Reply #249 on: July 31, 2009, 09:30:14 PM »
Well, I'm a-larking!
Respect must be earned.

If, in the Land of the Blind, the One Eyed Man is King - imagine the power of anyone that can clearly see !!!

Offline GhostWolf69

• Conversationalist
  • "I put the sexy back in dyslexic."
    • View Profile
    • www.ghostwolf69.com
« Reply #250 on: August 06, 2009, 10:44:58 AM »
Here's one. :-)

I met my wife and the mother of my children at a writers class 15 years ago.
At that time I was convinced I'd be a published writer some day. I also thought I would dedicate my life to teaching teenagers about Religion and History i.e. become a high-school teacher.

None of that happened though. Time goes by and people change I guess.

I still write and have a small internet following on a couple of other forums. (fiction writers guild etc)

I just don't have the drvie any more, you know? I have to write but I realized I don't really have to be published. In fact I cringe every time I think about sending in one of my manuscripts.

Fear of rejection? Sure. But also fear of change. Having to change my life and priorities is not something I do without a certain amount of resistance. I'm a man of habit, and I like known facts. Like a monthly pay heck and a boss that tells me what needs to be done. I'm not sure I could handle living the life of an author.

So I write here on the web.

/wolf
"If I had more time, I'd write you a shorter letter." -Mark Twain

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 06, 2009, 03:00:05 PM »
Welcome! Welcome!  We're glad you found your way to our place.

Offline Flintlock

• Conversationalist
  • Black Council Intern
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 06, 2009, 08:32:34 PM »

I think we all need some comedy and laughs in life. its like my second oxygen.

oh dear lord, yes. i got one of those damn ideas watching tv and drinking Kool-aid (completely unrelated) and it's one of those ideas that put on a wrestler's leotard and puts your brain in a full nelson until you write it all down (which was probably 3 hours later)
Proxima est Mors

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 06, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »
oh dear lord, yes. i got one of those damn ideas watching tv and drinking Kool-aid (completely unrelated) and it's one of those ideas that put on a wrestler's leotard and puts your brain in a full nelson until you write it all down (which was probably 3 hours later)
and then you missed half your TV show or your Kool-aid has gone warm... :P
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline DrygonDM

• Posty McPostington
  • Random Encounter #13
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon's Den
« Reply #254 on: August 06, 2009, 09:30:13 PM »
and then you missed half your TV show or your Kool-aid has gone warm... :P

That's what a DVR and Ice cubes is for ;)
Respect must be earned.