Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209464 times)

Offline Drew

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • www.DrewHenriksen.com
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2007, 02:12:00 AM »
Hey Dru, looks like like we're both the past tense for draw.

Wolfhowls

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2007, 07:54:18 PM »
Hi, my name is Randall Dickey... yes life was hard....did you catch that. Anyways a little about me, I was in the Army for eight years, I loved and I hated it, I wanted a career change so I got out and now I am in school to et my Creavtie Writing Degree from U of H. The writing style that I like and seems the easier for me to write is horror and dark fiction. I'm very unpublished for right now but hopefully that will chance here soon. I'm also working on two comic books that go along with the novels that I want to write. The only problem is I have no artist so all I can do as of right now is write the comics. I only have four characters developed for both the books and comics. And believe it or not only two of my characters have had a military life style. Thats about it in a nut shell. There is more to it but I'm too darn paranoid to talk about it. Yeah so sue me, I'm ex-military.

Offline Fineous

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2007, 08:04:17 AM »
Howdy everyone.  Finally decided to stop ghosting, and post something.

I have been working on several different books for several years, but suffer from an intense hatred of typing.  I have the whole story in my head, but hate putting it down.  In fact, one of my books is plotted out as a trilogy, and I know most of what happens in all three of the books.  The other is an open ended series, which once again I know a great deal about, and even have ideas of when certain facts will be revealed, how much the main character knows, and how much he thinks he knows, but actually doesn't .

So, from time to time I will sit down and belt out 5 or 10 pages, and then get sick of typing.  I guess some day I will finish one of them and see if anyone else (i.e. publishers) like it.  If they do, perhaps I will actually be motivated enough to write them faster.

Hmm, maybe I just need to find some good voice recognition software.  Of course, that would take money.   :(

Edit - Moved my introduction to introduction thread.  Hmm, seems like too good of an idea to me.  There must be something wrong with it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 08:37:57 AM by Fineous »
Bad Ash:  See, you're GOOD Ash, and I'm BAD Ash.  You're a little goody two-shoes, little goody two-shoes, little goody. . .
*Click* *BOOM*
Good Ash: Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

Offline swalizer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2007, 08:11:48 PM »
Hi, name's Steve Walizer. I'm currently in the process of world development and plotting for an urban fantasy novel. I'm tentatively setting things in Seattle. My current plan is to come up with 3 plot outlines using the characters and world I'm developing and run with the one that seems strongest after some feedback. This will also give me additional material to fall back on for sequels should I manage to find an agent and publisher that wants more than one book ;)

I've wanted to be a novelist since I was 15, and I'm now 35, so I figured it's about time I put my nose to the grindstone and do it ;D

Offline CynDe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2007, 08:59:31 PM »
Hey! My name is Cyndy and I am proud to join this group of aspiring novelists. *waves*
My current project is agent shopping for my paranormal urban fantasy. I am proud to announce that I have two rejction e-mails (but one directed me to try a specific other agent) and one agent who is reading my first 50 pages and summary. My goal is to send to several more agents and collect 25 rejection letters by Summer vacation, unless someone accepts the book first!

Offline swalizer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2007, 10:56:38 PM »
Hey! My name is Cyndy and I am proud to join this group of aspiring novelists. *waves*
My current project is agent shopping for my paranormal urban fantasy. I am proud to announce that I have two rejction e-mails (but one directed me to try a specific other agent) and one agent who is reading my first 50 pages and summary. My goal is to send to several more agents and collect 25 rejection letters by Summer vacation, unless someone accepts the book first!

Good luck! Hopefully someone takes you on before you get your full collection :)

Offline SaraCollins

• Participant
  • It sucks not having cable
    • View Profile
    • Stupid and Idiotic musings
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Hey, I'm Melody, and I'm an addicted writer. I've been writing since I hit puberty (I'm 17 now), and I have sorta an OCD-type thingy going on with my writing. Usually I just write a few chapters, and then I put it away indefinitely, maybe come back to it again. It's kinda hard writing when you've got high school falling around your head but I try to deal with it. I started off with Star Trek Voyager fanfiction and now it's sorta half fanfiction and half original. I really am obsessed with vampires, magic and werewolves, so the Dresden Files really connects with me.

I'm a big fan of alternate history-esque things, and the current project I have on now is called The American Empire which is basically "what if America became a constitutional monarchy instead of a democracy?" It's a huge challenge since politics isn't my strong point and it's a tough job creating new political situations in a AU world. The other project I want to start is a companion fanfiction to the (axed) TV show Vanished.

Good luck to all of you guys!
I just realized I made a really corny pun...I'm slow like that.
I'm Bianca St. Claire on the Sci-Fi Dresden Files Forums.

Offline Maiafay

• Participant
  • Nitpicker...and snarky wench
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2007, 11:22:08 PM »
Hey all,

I have a slightly different story...about the writing bug at least. I had written my first story I believe in the third grade, but the only one I can really remember is the tale my '4th' grade teacher read aloud (in which I had hid in the coat room until he had finished...), about the epic events of me, my best friend, a boat, and some weird alternate world complete with running and screaming from beasties every time we came across them. The tag line of my 'novel' was "and we screamed and screamed." Best seller...yeah.

Anyway, I was a big horror nut and my best friend (no, not the one from my little 4th grade novel; she had moved away by then and I never saw her again), and I traded 'dreams" back and forth through junior high (ah...middle school now is it? LOL) about Freddy Kruger and all the people we hated. Though, when I think about that now, if one of those 'dreams' had been intercepted (especially nowadays)--our butts would have been expelled. We were nasty...and descriptive.

Then came high school and my first Creative Writing class (which I found out the next year you could only take once since the teacher merely regurgitated the lesson over and over again), and I did pretty well in that. The teacher (whom I can't spell his last name to save my life...it starts with M), could choose one student to go to some seminar, and he chose me to go. Yes, whoo hoo, but by then I had other ideas that consisted of artwork and illustrating professionally--and figured writing would get me no where. So, I didn't go.

Now I'm kicking myself in the rear for not going, since I have finally, after 12-13 years of not writing a thing--decided to start up again. Been back on the wheel for two years now, and yes, it has been cutting into my drawing. Yet, I strangely don't mind.

I carry two jobs on top of artwork--and writing, so I'm a pretty busy person. I normally cannot write small scale things...they must be epic and complex...LOL. And also, to hone my skills a bit, I write fanfic. Yes, I will admit I write fanfic. Not of the Dresden Files...I know better than that ;)--but of other fandoms not book orientated. Either way, I have many fandom readers nudging me toward publishing my original stuff, but right now, I'm concentrating on my 'practice until I square things with my style.

That said however, I do have something in the works...a new take on Vampires...and elves, and magic, etc. and will share a little excerpt. I've been told it's a bit heavy-handed, but hey, it's a dream sequence, I'm allowed some surreal, flowy descriptions.

The figure levitated as he drew near, bare feet several inches from the ground, toes curled inward and gnarled. He was clothed in black robes that billowed around him, frayed tendrils reaching for the sky. His skin was gray as ash, hands wizened like his feet. A dark aura churned and rolled behind, lagging like a moldering wedding train. Long white hair snaked from his back like ivory weeds--floating, as if this being approached from beneath the sea. Moths, huge and gray silently fluttered around the head of this creature, their dust settling onto the shoulders of his black robes. There were about three dozen of the insects, flying possessively close as if this being was their only source of light and heat.

Even as the man hovered, the ground that he passed rotted away, white sand dissolving and falling into darkness, bodies that he floated over crumbling into dust--and then the dust into wind. Even the mighty pillars dissolved in his presence, faces screaming no more. The earth opened beneath his feet, a yawning chasm of darkness that spread wider with each step forward. Nathan could not move, could not draw breath into his lungs as he stood mute and transfixed in horror. The space twisted around them, between him and this being--energy crackling with a cold hiss. Nathan sucked in a lungful of tainted air, gathering the courage to peer into the creature’s face--

Ahem...will go back to lurking now...   
Fantasy Art that ain't half bad: Deviant Art
Fanfiction that's coherent! My Writing

Offline esper

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2007, 08:13:47 AM »
Hi! I'm new here. My name is Callan Souza, and I'm an aspiring author. I have two fantasy books published by an extremely small house that I don't tend to count as really being published. I have a horror-based RPG in production by Silven Publishing and a first-person cyberpunk adventure game in production  by Mythopoea Studios. I write short stories, novels, and screenplays, and I wouldn't mind getting into comic book/graphic novel scripting. My single greatest desire in life has been, since time immemorial (to me anyways) to be a full-time author. My two preferred genres are fantasy and horror. Right now, I'm revising my completed horror/mystery/romance novel "Dark Hearts." I tend to write a lot of supernatural/occult material, and when I first saw a patron at the hotel where I work with a copy of one of Mr. Butcher's novels I was intrigued. I went to the library and looked it up, and alas!!! My main character, Ian McDermott, seems to be the result of John Constantine and Harry Dresden raising a kid together.

Offline Nemo

• Conversationalist
  • International Wizard of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2007, 09:42:16 PM »
I'm Johnnie, 36 yrs old and been writing since I can remember.  I had a few things published back when I was in highshcool but got fed up with unconstructive criticism when I tried college the first time.  Now that I'm back in school, most of the writing I do is class related stuff.  I have an article that I will be writing for an internation magazine within the next few months.

As far as fiction goes, my inspirations are Lovecraft, Lumley, Howard (Solomon Kane rocks!), Dan Brown (though many of my Masonic Brothers would frown on it), and now local-boy Jim Butcher.  I'm thinking of starting a new Dresdenesque project centered on Frankenstein's Monster.

"Harry, even a nerd should know that it's no coincidence when a girl shows up at a man's hotel room.  You know all she really wants is to--" ~ Bob

Offline Claire

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2007, 10:16:54 PM »
Hey.  Megan here. 17, almost 18, and I've been majorly writing for four years.

I've been working in a sereis since I began high school four years ago.  It started as a way to get out of my life so that I could have a place where my mom's fight with cancer didn't touch me as much.  The characters were people I had RPed with a Text-based internet RPs called The Suns Shadows.  The city it was taking place in was as well. 

Well, one book turned into two, and two into three.  I'm working on the third one now...for the second time.  Yup.  Fifty pages into the last book and I realized that I was going NOWHERE!!  Time to restart.

As others, I'm working through the great swampy middle now in the last book.  BUt I've grown a lot as a writer in four years.  I look at my first book and think "what is this crap?"  Thank got for editing.

So...basic sumary of the first book is thus-

There is a place in this world where magic still exists.  It is a place where vampires and slayers, mages and witches, mortals and immortals have co-exsted in relative harmony for centuries.  But all that is about to change.

When an Immortal warlord joins forces with a centuries old mage to control Clennon, all know that the eventual control of them all is not far behind if they succeed.  So, bound and determined to keep Clennon a haven, Drake Coldheart teams up with the slayer Xzior and her friends to save it.

However, it will not be an easy task.  And, on top of it all, a trusted friend may be betraying them.

Offline Lord Khym

• Conversationalist
  • Gryphon Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2007, 10:15:20 PM »
I have been writing for a very long time.  Unfortunately, no one wants to print what I write.  I am about half way through with a screenplay about a haunted house, the third screenplay I've written (none of which has been made into a movie). I am also in the begining stages of a sci-fantasy about the end of the War on Terror, (a fringe group unleashes a virus that kills 99.9% of humanity and mutates the rest into giants, elves and halflings or leaves them as mere humans).

I have written lots of fan-fic and a childs story or two. Here's hoping that one of my stories will get published.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2007, 12:49:19 PM »
Hey all (waves his hand in the air) No urban fantasy over here for me.  Besides I'm a rural country boy and keeping all that urban stuff internally consistant sounds like too much work for me.  Nope.  That stuffs fun to read but its not for me as a writer.

Instead I'm currently 50k words into a space story involving a Noble Insect Lordling and his effective exile to the outer rim of the insectoid empire, which takes place soon after returning from a small victorious battle, at the massive Hoth Front, to reinforce his troop of warriors.  The space station he soon arrives on is about to go to heck in a hand basket and its up to him to kick butt, cut off heads and take names in a courteous fashion or else all is lost in this little piece of the empire.

Unfortunately I am currently bogged down.  But!  Our side has hope and I will soon start the word count march march marching along!!

Have fun guys and gals

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline BobSkull

• Participant
  • Justice or Vengeance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2007, 07:27:43 PM »
Heyo, I'm Luke and I've been writing for about 14 of my 18 years alive. Of course I would hope I have improved since then.....

But anyways, I actually have 10 novels in outlining, the majority of which are just random ideas that took on a life of their own in a way that made me think I could easily write a book about them. They vary from urban fantasy to serial killer crime novel to satirical fantasy. Basically there is only two that I am entirely focused on at this point and those are both over 30,000 words. One is a fantasy about an errandrunner for God and Lucifer who gets caught in the crossfire when he "borrows" an item that could cause the apocalypse. The other is just regular old fantasy, Demons, etc.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Offline Druwydd

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2007, 04:40:47 AM »
Heheh, Dru, Drew....so long as we can avoid being quartered we're good.
Does an "X" work?