Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209411 times)

Offline DrTrommashere

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2008, 11:04:39 AM »
Okay, I figured I should intro myself...again (I introed myself almost a year ago here)

My name is Shao, I'm a 22 y/o Fire Fighter/Paramedic.  I didn't always want to be a writer, but you can blame that on my seventh grade English teacher who made us write a short story.  We got the assignment on the first day of school and we had to write at least a page a day for every day of school, 185 pages to be exact.  It was pretty non-structured, the only rules being we had to have at minimum 4 characters, a plot twist, and it had to be something that if we wanted to, we could go back and start writing a second story.

Needless to say, I wrote 300 pages of what I would now think to be a pretty bad story.  I thought it was phenominal then, and my teacher thought it was great, but being as if I was trying to write in a "non-fiction" kind of way, (Having nom-fictional ideas wrapped into one truly fictional story) it flowed pretty well, but to read it now, I cringe at every page...

Anywho, I was bit by the bug and I haven't stopped since.  I've now stuck with mostly fiction/fantasy/romance/sci-fi, but I'm also working on a book called, "Life Through a pair of Pink-Handled Trauma Shears" which is a non-fiction story about my life so far as an EMT/FF/Medic.  I have another story that is based upon a Star Trek RPG that I'm co-writing with a friend of mine...it's pretty jumbled right now, and I'm hoping to sort it out soon.

I might post links to portions of the stories soon, but I have to get up the cajones to actually do it.

Thanks for reading!

~K~

myquasilatinphrase

« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
Okay, I figured I should intro myself...again (I introed myself almost a year ago here)

My name is Shao, I'm a 22 y/o Fire Fighter/Paramedic.  I didn't always want to be a writer, but you can blame that on my seventh grade English teacher who made us write a short story.  We got the assignment on the first day of school and we had to write at least a page a day for every day of school, 185 pages to be exact.  It was pretty non-structured, the only rules being we had to have at minimum 4 characters, a plot twist, and it had to be something that if we wanted to, we could go back and start writing a second story.

Needless to say, I wrote 300 pages of what I would now think to be a pretty bad story.  I thought it was phenominal then, and my teacher thought it was great, but being as if I was trying to write in a "non-fiction" kind of way, (Having nom-fictional ideas wrapped into one truly fictional story) it flowed pretty well, but to read it now, I cringe at every page...

Anywho, I was bit by the bug and I haven't stopped since.  I've now stuck with mostly fiction/fantasy/romance/sci-fi, but I'm also working on a book called, "Life Through a pair of Pink-Handled Trauma Shears" which is a non-fiction story about my life so far as an EMT/FF/Medic.  I have another story that is based upon a Star Trek RPG that I'm co-writing with a friend of mine...it's pretty jumbled right now, and I'm hoping to sort it out soon.

I might post links to portions of the stories soon, but I have to get up the cajones to actually do it.

Thanks for reading!

~K~

I'd say welcome, but you said you've been here for a while now,  so you already know the drill. ;)
I'd actually be interested in reading your memoirs when you get them finished. I'm the child of an ER physician on the night shift, and he always had some great stories, I can only imagine the paramedics must see some interesting things as well.
But belated welcomes and all...

Offline crihavoc

• Lurker
  • "I can keep rhythm with no metronome..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 19, 2008, 03:53:53 AM »
My name is Robert, or crihavoc.

I have a great life.  Family, home, career - check, check, check.  I'm a lucky sonfagun, and no mistake.

My muse, poor girl, is suffering from a wasting disease. 

Once upon a time: every SNIKT of razor sharp adamantium, every POOM from the gauntlets of Baron Karza, each diagonal carom of Daredevil's baton, every moan from the bloody length of rune-etched Stormbringer, each fish-scaled shadow at Innsmouth, every heart-busting push through the pattern of Amber, the thunderous cyan volleys from squads of fan-skirted, mercenary tanks, and the click-clock death-knell sound of a run-down pair of cowboy boots on the cracked asphalt trail of virus-wracked American damnation...

... once apon a time, my muse gorged herself silly.  And, I wrote and wrote and wrote.  Junior high creative writing, high school literary magazines, college literary magazines, post-matriculation rejection letters galore.

I have a great life, and no mistake.  But, every project charter and spend justification and statement of work and Return on Net Assets evaluation graph and knowledge article and training document... they grow like nightmare stop-motion anemones in the marble-carved catacombs of my imagination and clamp spear-tipped extrusions on to her stringy limbs and rubbery torso and drink deep, deep, deep...

I have a plan, to save her life.  I can't rescue my stringy muse yet, but I can keep her on life support.  So, I join websites where stories are told. And, I force her to eat and eat and then I write!  Nothing huge - short stories, vignettes, descriptive paragraphs, some world-building input - whatever she and I can craft between the 2 AM feeding and the 6 AM alarm.

I have a plan.  It proceeds slowly.  But, each story is another rod removed from the reactor core, another fragment of dilithium crystal added, another glyph locked in on the Stargate.  I have a plan.

My name is Robert, or crihavoc.
"Why should I let the toad work
Squat on my life?
Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork
And drive the brute off?"

Larkin, from "Toads"

Offline Mikolicious

• Lurker
  • If idiots could fly, this place'd be an airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2008, 10:39:51 PM »
Hi guys! I just found this site today and was like, omg, I'm gonna sign up for here!

I read all the (most of the) previous posts and am like, "wow! C'mon people! start writing! I wanna read!"

I have . . . written . . . and I've posted my stuff on this site called Mibba.com and, I gotta tell ya, some of the people on there are GOOD!!!!

My works include
1) A fanfiction on Pride and Prejudice called "Night at Pemberley." My sister put me up to the challenge and I took it. She loved it and I had the most fun time writing it. It's pretty short, only nine short chapters, but I like it. Don't want it published though, and can you even publish fanfiction?
anyhoo, here's the link: http://www.mibba.com/story/mikolicious/Night-at-Pemberly/

2) I also wrote a story about a girl, Jaymine, and a guy, Troy, who practically hate each other who are forced to get married to avoid a scandal and Jaymine's dad being put out of business. Along the way, they find some disturbing things about themselves, called "Love Remains the Same." I based some of it on the song by the same title by Gavin Rossdale. I really enjoyed writing this one, especially the last few chapters! It made me cry, though.
anyhoo, here's the link: http://www.mibba.com/story/mikolicious/Love-Remains-the-Same/

3) I am in the middle of writing a series. It's about this assassin who finds out she's connected to winter while trying to pull the job of assassinating a Prince. It's on hold though so i can write number 4
again, the link: http://www.mibba.com/story/mikolicious/Vixen-Creed/

4) And the last story is about this girl who learns piano, but, becuase of the way her teacher taught, has lost her spirit and passion. Can she ever get them back? This one is in progress as well, and I really have only written three chapter's worth of it.
But, here's the link: http://www.mibba.com/story/mikolicious/My-Spirit-Buried-My-Chords-Broken/
The work of a writer is never done,
One story finished,
Another begun.
   - by moi

Offline Lisa™

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2008, 10:53:34 AM »
That's kinda how I write.  I haven't written in months, but I make notes for story ideas all the time, due to my gaming.  What I do write is mostly just for the consumption of my friends and family.

Sounds to me like your views on the stuff you write are a lot like mine, Myth.  No interest in getting published, personally - it would be an enormous pain and, honestly, more trouble than I want to go to for something I've only ever done for fun.

But fun it is.  Oh yes.  ;D
Quote from: CrazyGerbilLady
Full Assed FTW!

Quote from: Snowleopard
I have a friend who'd say: "That sounds vaguely obscene and if there's anything I can't stand it's vagueness!"

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #170 on: December 20, 2008, 03:40:29 AM »
No interest in getting published, personally

I still say this is a tragedy, Lisa.  You're one of the finest authors I've read.
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #171 on: December 20, 2008, 04:00:05 AM »
OK, since Lisa's mentioned her writing, I suppose I'll own up as well...

Crazy Gerbil Lady and I have just finished the first draft of our first novel, which is in the trusty hands of our beta readers.  It's book 1 of a trilogy, and we have another trilogy waiting in the wings.  We hope to be published sometime soon, once the book is ready to be submitted.

We're also writing short stories.
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/

Offline Mikolicious

• Lurker
  • If idiots could fly, this place'd be an airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 20, 2008, 11:28:45 PM »
i know this is a little off topic, but how do you put your own avatar in?
and I'll say again, I am always surprised how many good, undiscovered authors there are (visit mibba) and I really want to read all these stories!
The work of a writer is never done,
One story finished,
Another begun.
   - by moi

Offline Lisa™

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 22, 2008, 03:09:58 PM »
You can use your own avatar by uploading one to photobucket and putting the URL (direct link) in the appropriate box in your forum profile info page.

On topic... *cheers for Captain and CGL*  ;)
Full Assed FTW!

I have a friend who'd say: "That sounds vaguely obscene and if there's anything I can't stand it's vagueness!"

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 22, 2008, 04:00:22 PM »
*eyes blinking looking at Lisa's post number*  Truly incredible!

And on topic as well...  Best wishes Captain H and CGL
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Noey

• Posty McPostington
  • Life On Planet Pink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 22, 2008, 10:44:56 PM »
The Cap'n And CGL...sounds like a band, doesn't it? I am SO holding up a lighter at the book signing! *beams* Can't wait to see your stuff published so I can read it.  :)
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. - C.S. Lewis

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 22, 2008, 10:47:51 PM »
Gratz Captain and CGL!

I'm still in the midst of working on my novel/trilogy. I'm still building the foundation for it, slowly adding more depth.
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Danny-boy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 27, 2008, 04:36:49 AM »
well...all my life I have sort of thought of myself as a writer - though I have written very little of any real quality.

I am always the guy with the great ideas but who lacks the moxie to follow through and actually create something of it. (I mean...I shouldn't say that...because I do other things...play music...paint...make various other types of art - it's just a matter of different degrees of inspiration or something)

But now I am about to turn 40 in a few months, and I have really been making a project of getting off my ass and doing some of the things I have wanted to do in the past. So this has me really wanting to take another hack at writing.

I have ideas for two sci-fi novels and a series based around a what I think is a pretty unique character - I am not sure how to classify those, genre-wise.

I have been reading Jim's LiveJournal and that has helped a lot. I had no idea, in the past how to plan out a story before writing it - I just figured I'd sit down and write x-amount each day and it would just end up being a coherent story. Never too old to learn the right way to do stuff.

So yup...that's where I'm at. Oh...and I am new to this forum too, as you might have guessed.

-Danny-boy

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 27, 2008, 04:51:01 AM »
well...all my life I have sort of thought of myself as a writer - though I have written very little of any real quality.

I am always the guy with the great ideas but who lacks the moxie to follow through and actually create something of it. (I mean...I shouldn't say that...because I do other things...play music...paint...make various other types of art - it's just a matter of different degrees of inspiration or something)

But now I am about to turn 40 in a few months, and I have really been making a project of getting off my ass and doing some of the things I have wanted to do in the past. So this has me really wanting to take another hack at writing.

I have ideas for two sci-fi novels and a series based around a what I think is a pretty unique character - I am not sure how to classify those, genre-wise.

I have been reading Jim's LiveJournal and that has helped a lot. I had no idea, in the past how to plan out a story before writing it - I just figured I'd sit down and write x-amount each day and it would just end up being a coherent story. Never too old to learn the right way to do stuff.

So yup...that's where I'm at. Oh...and I am new to this forum too, as you might have guessed.

-Danny-boy

Welcome to the Party, Dan. You're amongst friends here.

Personally, I use Stephen King's Method, which is to say I have a good idea in my head and I just go for it on the page. Although I have been using Jim's method to help establish the world
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Lisa™

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 27, 2008, 10:34:38 AM »
Welcome, Dan.  I'm inclined the same way - planning out a story before writing it never really caught on for me as a workable technique.  I just throw words at the page and whatever sticks is what I edit later.  :D
Full Assed FTW!