Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209369 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »
My dream started out in 1986 with a idea that we needed a good horse book. 

I agree, Ani! My favorite read this year was the small press book, "God of Animals"  -- if want a different and well received novel, you might enjoy it!
Montana Press, but it was so well received that you should be able to get it from your local library.  (Warning, it will keep you up nights for several weeks as you work through all the angst, but it is great. I swear she grew up in my old neighborhood.)
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline kero319

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2008, 07:36:20 PM »
Hey Guys
I'm Alex.
I'm currently dabbling in the writing field, in my spare time from my studies.
My current work, the first "chapter"(its really just the first scene), as well as the teaser/prologue, can be seen in my post in this section.
The story, which im calling "Fallen" for now, is an urban fantasy. I don't want to spoil any of the plot right now, so if you want, you can read the posted stuff.

Please, if you don't mind, I'm thriving on criticism on my work, so if you feel like doing some straightforward (but polite) criticism, hit up my work.

Thanks everyone!

mythcantor

« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2008, 04:53:07 PM »
Okay, here goes,
I'm also an aspiring writer, but I've sort of lost my motivation after a few rejection notices.  The problem is that I'm a good enough editor that I look at the stuff that I write and look at the stuff that my favorite authors write and I sort of realize that I'm a long way off.

I've written about fifty to sixty short stories, mostly for my circle of friends consumption and to add flavor for the roleplaying games that I run.   Most of these short stories are unpublishible, because roleplaying games tend to become full of very inside jokes which would not go over well in the mainstream.  I've finished two novel length stories as well, within the science-fiction and fantasy genre.  I'd love to post a link for everyone to my writing, but none of it is published to the web atm.

I read what Jim and other authors had to go through to get published and it leads me to think that maybe I don't have the patience and willingness to take leaps of faith necessary to get published, even though I love sharing my stories with others.  For now, I'm content to share these stories via my RPGs, which I usually design and run myself without using published systems.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2008, 07:02:55 PM »
welcome mythcantor! love your name! 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2008, 03:29:35 AM »
Okay, here goes,
I'm also an aspiring writer, but I've sort of lost my motivation after a few rejection notices.  The problem is that I'm a good enough editor that I look at the stuff that I write and look at the stuff that my favorite authors write and I sort of realize that I'm a long way off.

I've written about fifty to sixty short stories, mostly for my circle of friends consumption and to add flavor for the roleplaying games that I run.   Most of these short stories are unpublishible, because roleplaying games tend to become full of very inside jokes which would not go over well in the mainstream.  I've finished two novel length stories as well, within the science-fiction and fantasy genre.  I'd love to post a link for everyone to my writing, but none of it is published to the web atm.

I read what Jim and other authors had to go through to get published and it leads me to think that maybe I don't have the patience and willingness to take leaps of faith necessary to get published, even though I love sharing my stories with others.  For now, I'm content to share these stories via my RPGs, which I usually design and run myself without using published systems.
have you thought about making your stories into game modules and getting them into print that way?
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

mythcantor

« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2008, 05:20:42 AM »
have you thought about making your stories into game modules and getting them into print that way?

Once in a while... I'd need more playtester's though...

Offline Ambassador of Odd

• Participant
  • Odd's a nice place, but there aren't enough chairs
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »
Hey folks.  I guess I'm not really an aspiring writer, since I don't really plan to publish anything, but I write a lot.  Just not on the same project for any length of time.   ;D  I never get a story past a chapter or two before writer's block sets in, so I mostly just bounce from project to project.  I think in the last year, I've started a post-apocalyptic adventure, a super hero story, a sort of Arthurian fantasy, and the most recently project involves some kind of distopian war between technology and creatures of supernatural origins, with homunculi and golems slated as the protagonists.
Signiture?  But wouldn't I leave ink all over the screen?

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2008, 06:12:13 PM »
Hey folks.  I guess I'm not really an aspiring writer, since I don't really plan to publish anything, but I write a lot.  Just not on the same project for any length of time.   ;D  I never get a story past a chapter or two before writer's block sets in, so I mostly just bounce from project to project.  I think in the last year, I've started a post-apocalyptic adventure, a super hero story, a sort of Arthurian fantasy, and the most recently project involves some kind of distopian war between technology and creatures of supernatural origins, with homunculi and golems slated as the protagonists.
Have you tried doing an outline of the whole story first?  Maybe it's not so much writers block but figuring out what to do next.
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2008, 09:13:26 PM »
Have you tried doing an outline of the whole story first?  Maybe it's not so much writers block but figuring out what to do next.

And do you find it satisfying?  If so, more plot lines the merrier even if it's a couple chapters!  Still don't the character haunt you from your buried computer files----"Write me!  Write me!"  LOL

Welcome!

Offline Ambassador of Odd

• Participant
  • Odd's a nice place, but there aren't enough chairs
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 19, 2008, 03:51:34 PM »
 Still don't the character haunt you from your buried computer files----"Write me!  Write me!"  LOL

No, actually.  I think it's because I'm a gamer, and am used to accepting that a character is gone, or at least on hold indefinitely.  Playing RPGA in the Bandit Kingdoms does that.  My first character died in 3 minutes to the first damage roll of the session.  Since then, I've retired dozens, maybe a hundred characters.  Not many of them have actually died, but there were some I wanted to. 

But no, I don't make outlines.  I tried with my post-apocalyptic book, but I ended up jumping the tracks pretty quick.  Mostly, I write because I feel like it, so when I don't, I don't.
Signiture?  But wouldn't I leave ink all over the screen?

mythcantor

« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2008, 07:52:03 PM »
No, actually.  I think it's because I'm a gamer, and am used to accepting that a character is gone, or at least on hold indefinitely.  Playing RPGA in the Bandit Kingdoms does that.  My first character died in 3 minutes to the first damage roll of the session.  Since then, I've retired dozens, maybe a hundred characters.  Not many of them have actually died, but there were some I wanted to. 

But no, I don't make outlines.  I tried with my post-apocalyptic book, but I ended up jumping the tracks pretty quick.  Mostly, I write because I feel like it, so when I don't, I don't.

That's kinda how I write.  I haven't written in months, but I make notes for story ideas all the time, due to my gaming.  What I do write is mostly just for the consumption of my friends and family.

Offline xXMemorieXx

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2008, 09:04:29 PM »
I think i should post here, yeah~ i should. o.o
Anyways, i've been writing since 2007. Not very long :/

I've written several stories, yet, i never seem to have finished them. (they make it to the thrid chapter and end up dieing after that)
Two stories that im currently writing though, will not do that (im not going to allow it) and so far the first one is 3 chapters long :3.

The second one i just began to write so there's not much.  Here's a lil bit of the prologue of it:

You know how, when you die, the people who miraculously come back always say there's a light at the end of a tunnel?  That tunnel doesn't exist, it's mainly there just to make you think that's how death would look like when you actually die. How do I know this? Well, let's just skip those wonderful details and get straight to the point, I'm death. Well, in a sense, I'm a grm_reaper, a person who works for death for all eternity, sounds harsh right? Not really, I can't officially age, so I'm stuck as a 19 year old forever, though if that's a good thing or a bad thing you can decide yourself. Let me tell you though, this isn't the nicest job out there,  carrying souls to the after-life and everything else related to death isn't fun, in any sense. Plus there is all the other jobs that come with it, course it was either this or be wiped off the face of the earth by forced fade away. Those aren't nice either.

annnnddd.... thats where im leaving it :o.
maybe ill make a lil thread eventually and type it all up :p if i like it.

I tend to write supernatural stuff ( vampires and the like) so that's mainly what my stories will be about o.o

craptastical siggy, till i get around to making one~

myquasilatinphrase

« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2008, 08:56:07 AM »

So I've decided to go ahead and post here. My name's Liz, but WHEN I'm published it'll be under my full name. No worries, when it happens(if it takes a decade) I'll be sure to post here to let everyone know.
I tell the same basic story... Blah blah blah, I always read books, I always dreamed up stories, I got my first rejection letter at 15, but it was my own fault, I was trying to publish fanfic.

I basically decided that actually getting published required more backbone and strength of will than I had... Then my best friend ruined that for me by coming to me with an utterly brilliant plot idea, and the promise to co-write the whole thing... as long as I don't quit. We work well off each other, and so far I rely on him to prevent me from giving up... And vice versa.

Writing is a definite form of madness, and doing it in tandem has it's good and bad points. The good news is that when you feel like screaming at the computer, instead you can scream at a PERSON. The bad news is that it triples the amount of editing that must be done to make it all flow.

But we're 85% done with the first book, and we've got an outline for the next six. It's a unique sci-fi, in that it's THIS world, and everything was perfectly normal until literally EVERYTHING was destroyed over night by an invading race of otherworldly beings. The invading race have killed 99% of all humanity, and taken most of the rest prisoner. Our hero, as well as a small percentage of those he rescues find themselves developing otherworldly abilities as a side-effect of being around the Invaders. (think elemental powers for the most part)

I am hell-bent to get published, and my husband is very supportive. He wants me to succeed so he can live off of me for a change. I'd love to get some BETA feedback once the MS is finished. I need guinea pigs before I start flinging it at Agents.

Though I have to say right now, my favorite part of writing is taking beloved well known landmarks... And having them utterly destroyed by epic battles.

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2008, 02:24:40 PM »

Though I have to say right now, my favorite part of writing is taking beloved well known landmarks... And having them utterly destroyed by epic battles.

You'll be right at home here :)
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

myquasilatinphrase

« Reply #164 on: November 01, 2008, 05:22:29 AM »

You'll be right at home here :)

Thanks! I like to hope so... Being at MileHiCon let me discover a few things I have in common with Jim... (He's so awesome!) Now I'm even more hell-bent to succeed.