Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 194339 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #600 on: August 04, 2015, 01:25:08 AM »
Yeah, they usually take 2 to 6 months to decide on submissions.  This was same day.  Granted, I submitted first thing in the morning, on the first day of this quarter's submission week... but yeah, I reckon it's got to be good to be accepted by Abyss & Apex, and to make it past their entire editor posse in one day.  Whompety-BOOM, as Shaifennen would say.

Offline Blaise Corvin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad page
« Reply #601 on: August 09, 2015, 12:45:07 PM »
I'm finally writing a novel and sticking to it.  I don't regret doing so until this point though because I have a lot more life experiences to draw from now.  The attempts I made before were all horrible too and I was able to learn something from all of them.
Look hard for the looking place

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 15, 2015, 05:41:09 PM »
Biggest thing to remember is always keep writing.  You'll learn from the process of just hammering words out, even if they suck.  (Granted, you have to go back and look them over with a critical eye, figure out what doesn't work and why, etc.)  But it's about exercising those neural thingees as much as it is anything else.  Set a daily minimum for yourself, even if it's just a couple hundred words.  (I go by weekly, myself, but I've been spending so much time editing and revising multiple stories I've had little chance to hammer out fresh, new words.  Gotta see to that.)  In any case, keep it up!

Offline DeskOwl

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 10, 2016, 09:13:38 PM »
Hi, I'm Mary, and it's been about five minutes since I last waffled on what to write.  ;)
I have basically three main stories:
The Nameless - One of the Fae who was born into magical slavery sells his name in order to buy his freedom. In doing so, he gets caught up in ancient prophecies, conspiricies, and eventually fights to free his people from their millennia old contract.
Strange Aeons - Basically Lovecraft as Urban Fantasy. The main character was kicked out of Miskatonic University years before and has settled in to a more normal life far away from all that craziness. She gets dragged back in again when good old Misk U loses a copy of the Necronomicon, believes it was taken to her new city, and asks her for help finding it.
The Nowhere Project - This is what I am about to start for NaNoWriMo. Imagine what would happen if a Star Gate/Star Trek type team went on an expedition to explore the Nevernever. The rest is still in the early stages of planning for NaNoWriMo.
“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.” - Margaret Chittenden

Offline FalcoDude

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 03, 2017, 12:38:31 AM »
Hey there! ;)

When I started picking this up (writing that is) as a hobby I somehow really got into it.
Now I'm still very much uncertain on how to go on about it, only thing I know is  I love writing! (No idea how writing feels about the matter, we shall see, she has yet to reply)

That's why it was like a giant weight got lifted off me when I found this forum, looks to be chock full of decent people!
I'm gonna try to stick around for a while , even though I don't usually do forums, the idea of authors (both wannabes and pros) talking about their works just seems so cool and appealing to me.Plus, maybe some skill will rub off eventually.

Anywho, enough with the sappy stuff. ::)

Thus far I'v only begun writing one "novel", just trying to get into the motions (trying to follow the words per week advice).
It's a fanfic, really.Technically.
Nothing I could potentially monetize (If for some miraculous reason it happened to be good,unlikely) or anything but ...I guess it's a pet project of sorts.
Set in the Dresden files universe (love you Jim!) but not in quite the same time, or timeline.

Tentatively named "Chi non muore".

Sect of Kemmlerites (bad spooks necromancers) opens shop in an Italian city, gathers all sorts of troubled adolescents into a sick little family of would be necromancers, doing some reeally sick stuff in the process.
Eventually the Council wipes them out.
A couple kids survive the purge, one of them is saved by a Warden and tries to walk the straight and narrow.
Some years down the line his past catches up with him : old and new faces crawl out from under their dark holes in search of the word of Kemmler.

Something along these lines.All set in Italy.
Am I allowed to post this? I think so? I mean, it's clearly a Dresden Fanfic and.... well, I'm sure somebody will let me now. :-X
Thanks Y'all!

P.S.:I hate your verification thing.

Offline kick-n-smile007

• Lurker
  • Livin' life if a kick and smile!
    • View Profile
    • TJ Banski
« Reply #605 on: October 28, 2017, 06:11:01 PM »
Hiya! I'm an author in progress! ;D
A fan of the Dresden files and Jim Butcher books in general. Working my way through the Dresden files.
I am currently writing a book series about a young man, struggling to find his identity after waking with no memory of who he is. He receives a phone call from a friend who promises to explain everything. He finds out that he is part of a powerful world, and he takes naturally to the rigorous training, however he still feels that there is something that they aren’t telling him. He completes his missions diligently under the tutelage of his mentor, yearning for the return of his memories. After a brief training period his world is turned upside down yet again when his mentor is killed while searching for a powerful object known as the Olc Sca’th, and he is saddled with a partner that seems all too familiar.
I am currently editing my first novel, working on my second and have outlined my third. I started writing this novel series about two years ago and my goal is to publish by the end of next year. My next step include getting an editor and of course going with a publishing agency. Tips of the trade are welcome. So far I have created a lifestyle blog and wrote a little bit about my novels. Follow me on Facebook, Instagram and twitter. www.tjbanski.com
Kick-n-smile007 :-)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 01, 2017, 09:02:38 PM »
Guys, if you're going to talk about your story - please do it in very general terms.
Er like - Space opera or Fantasy or the such.
Getting too specific can lead to things you don't want.
One, if JB reads this and has an idea similar(even remotely) to your idea then he
has to abandon it for legal reasons. Two, someone could steal your idea or the basis for
it. Three, for some people (not all) mentioning their story equates in some part of their mind
as writing and they delay in putting it on paper.
 These are just suggestions - take them as you will.

Offline King Shisa

• Posty McPostington
  • Almost good enough... but not quite
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 13, 2017, 04:06:23 PM »
Here's a question for all... why do I feel so shy about my writing?

Of everyone I know, a total of three know that I'm an amateur novelist with dreams of getting published. Granted, most of them aren't extremely literary, but still. Practically nobody knows this side of me and I find that I can't really share it (which makes finding beta readers difficult as hell). I don't know why I balk at telling people what I do. In one of his books Stephen King said that writing was almost masturbatory. Is that the stigma? Does anyone else feel the need to keep their writing side secret?
I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 13, 2017, 06:00:42 PM »
Maybe, you want to see a finished product but worry about the attention it may receive.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 16, 2017, 04:54:46 AM »
In part because your writing is a part of you and to put it out there means you're exposing
yourself to vagaries and whims of the people who read it.

Offline TheJrade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 10, 2018, 10:53:47 PM »
Longtime reader of JB but new to the forums, which seem to be less active than they used to be.

Writing a spinoff story based in the Dresdenverse about an Army lawyer than gets drawn into the politics of the supernatural world by being in the right place at the right time with the right insight. 

Circa Cold Days Maj. Javier Bishop saves the new Winter Lady from having her soul claimed by a demon.  This service keeps the power of the Mantle within the Winter Court, likely saving all Creation from the Outsiders in the process.  Brought before the Mothers so that they might repay the debt they owe him, he ends up as a power broker between supernatural entities.

Equal parts Wizard's Bane by Rick Cook and Grunts by Mary Gentle, with a generous helping of Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #611 on: April 14, 2018, 07:50:16 PM »
Glad to have you!  It sounds like you've got a fun book idea, keep after it!

As for the site I think its three things that really killed it.  One you can't post chapters or exerpts your own work on this site.  Two they nuked touchy topics and after they did that I found less reasons to come and hang out.  Finally where have Jim Butcher been?  Its been what 3 years plus since we had a Harry Novel in the Dresdenverse?

He's taken too many fliers and this site has too many restrictions.  If we could share our work back and forth for peer help I'm sure we'd have had a lot more action!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline King Shisa

• Posty McPostington
  • Almost good enough... but not quite
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 27, 2018, 02:55:40 AM »
Finally got my first book up on Amazon: "Swim Like Hell: A Visit to Superstition Bay". It was a long journey, with lots of false starts, but the step has finally been taken and I couldn't be more relieved. Now let's see where it goes. The second Superstition Bay manuscript should be up in a week or so.

Am I allowed to post links here, or is that a no-no?
I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #613 on: June 28, 2018, 05:01:44 PM »
Way to go!  If you want to post a link do what I do and make a thread post of your own.  Super cool!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Pickles

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 11, 2019, 06:18:15 PM »
Hello,

My name is April Elizabeth, I'm not sure if I've earned the title of author since I've started several pieces but haven't finished them. They only thing I think I've truly accomplished are the many notebooks I've filled in an attempt of building a new world within the confines of the present one we lived in a very long time ago. I'm also an artist and while I've thought of creating a graphic novel, since my writing is sub-par, I decided against it because I've always loved novels. So, if I ever do manage to write something to completion I want to turn it into an illustrative novel. Kind of like how the old Winnie the Pooh books were published/written, just a bit (a lot) more grown up with lots of magic, fighting, other fun stuff, and a lot more writing.

I hope this was okay to post here, I tried looking for an introductory forum, but I couldn't find it and this felt very relevant to my passions.