Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209370 times)

Offline bleet08

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2008, 05:00:26 PM »
HI...I feel like I am at a support group.  My name is________ and I have writers cramp.  Group then says "HI ______" 

I have been writing many many little stories.  Most were one pagers, and some were a few chapters long.  I am now in the process of finishing up chapter 15 in my book.  I know, go figure.  It seems that I enjoy writing about something that is half angel and half demon.  Poor thing wakes up arguing with it's self, and has problems keeping the good guys and the bad guys straight.  Being half and half, he ends up resorting to guns and being a hitman for who ever.  In this one I have him going after the pope.  should strike a chord with a few... ;D
Heaven won't have me, and I took over hell.  Talk about lofty goals, now all I have to do if get a date with Angelina.

Offline Paranoid Wizard

• Conversationalist
  • Magic. It's what you do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2008, 05:07:17 PM »
Hah! Pope hunter! I'd read that book!

(It would be immediately black listed by certain religious groups. But that's part of the appeal.)
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2008, 05:14:49 PM »
In this one I have him going after the pope.  should strike a chord with a few... ;D
And mayhap the NSA computer trolling programs just brought up your information while the Pope is in the US.  My aunt did this and the secret service showed up after a negative letter to Nixon..  :-)   Watch out, fellow reader  :-)
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline bleet08

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2008, 05:23:02 PM »
LOL..well that is the dilemma he faces.  The first few chapters he lights up a few Cardinals, but then grows a conscience.  The god and the bad of being half and half.  I will not give away endings, but lets just say, he chooses a side, and life gets interesting.

If the NSA does show up, I will make them a kick butt honey tea, and give them some muffins!! 
Heaven won't have me, and I took over hell.  Talk about lofty goals, now all I have to do if get a date with Angelina.

Offline Paranoid Wizard

• Conversationalist
  • Magic. It's what you do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2008, 06:50:08 PM »
For some reason I don't think the NSA would be interested in tea or muffins.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2008, 08:43:28 PM »
Actually they followed my aunt around the house the whole time the President was in the state--she offered them food and made them welcome in her home and I think they did appreciate it.

Also Mami Eisenhower's home was in Boone, IA and she had security agents until she finally died at 92 plus.  Remember that movie that Shirley McClain and Nicolas Cage...  It was like that, bridge games and golf.  The security teams did their shopping in my town. 

So serve up the muffins and tea!

My aunt really wasn't a crazy, but she did have a temper about something that some president did and wrote them a rather testy letter.  I never asked her just how testy....
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline bleet08

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2008, 08:20:28 AM »
I have been laughing so hard at that whole situation.  You would think eventually, someone would say, "I don't think she is planning anything boss."  Then leave.  Thumbs up guys, you can follow me to school, parents, and then home to sleep. 

I will post a small part of the story tomorrow. 

Offline bleet08

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2008, 04:14:18 AM »
A small un-edited rough edition of the hit on Don Bravatta. 

My gym bag was packed to the hilt.  Mostly with sandwiches, and snacks.  Hey I didn't know how long I was going to be here.  I moved the cup cakes out of the way, and tossed the slim jims to the same side of the bag.  You ever had one of those moments when you get caught.  Like when your walking around your place naked and someone unexpected walks in and catches you.  Another example.  The roof door opens wide spilling light onto my position, me and all my snack garbage.  From the look I got, even the informant was surprised at how much junk I ate.  After the light hit it, so was I. My cold fingers felt the little nine mm  Uzi in the gym bag.  I just froze feigning the deer in the head lights look.  He really had me dead to rights.  His gun looked like a field cannon aimed at my head, even though it was only a three fifty seven.  The barrel looked like a tunnel along a dark road, abruptly ending at a dead end.  Except if he did shoot me, most likely I would be back with in an hour or two, and just kill him even slower then I had planned. 

Offline LLJade

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2008, 03:55:28 PM »
Hi all!

My name is Lauren and I'm currently in the process of working on my first novel which I hope to have published. It's gone through several revision and so far, this current one is the one I seem to be moving farthest along with. I'm intending this to be a YA novel and so far, though I'm not positive as of this point, the series is looking like it'll be a trilogy. The people who I've shown it to so far seem to like it so I hope it's a sign I'm doing a half way decent job. Right now, the biggest challenge for me is the editing because my grammar skills are just bad and trying to find time to work on it, I work nights as a TSO at an airport so by the time I usually get home, it's very late and I want to sleep. I seem to be coming to terms with that, though, since I've been working on it alot more recently, probably due to the fact I read in an article that Stephenie Meyer was able to finish the first book in the Twilight series in three months and that made me see how much I needed to stop whining and get the fire under my butt going. However, I still have issues with the editing. ;)

Anyway, if anyone here wants to take a look at it and give advice and what not, please feel free to send me a message on here or E-mail me. Just keep in mind that this story is very anime and manga inspiried, do if there's anything you don't understand, just let me know.

Lauren

Offline JourneyingMoon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2008, 06:57:42 PM »
Hi all,  E. Jay here :D

I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. I even completed a science fiction novel. I keep it in a drawer as proof that I can finish. I used to be able to just write and write, without thinking, without that voice that tells me every word sucks. Then I went to school for writing and sort of lost my voice and gained that monster that looks over my shoulder and points out what’s wrong with every word that hits the page. I spent years trying to find my voice again and to silence my monster.

I’ve read every book on craft and a psychotic amount of blogs and I seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut, like research has replaced actual writing. Once the research is done (for the day) there is the preparation, set up, lots and lots of outlining, and the reading of what I already wrote—so that I am refreshed and in the zone. But then the day is gone and I fool myself into thinking that tomorrow the real work begins. Months pass with lots of tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow and few pages of actual written work.

This is not to say actual writing never gets done. When I do get to the page, after cranking out a few, I get stuck in an editing loop where I basically beat the life out of the writing. Or I’m always starting something new.
Now, I’m trying to force myself to finish the two novels most taking my attention. I’m trying to ride a wave of: the writing comes to life in the editing. I’m trying to push forward and not look back. But it seems near impossible because of voice in my head that screams: This is boring, try it in first person, actually third person is better, you’re telling not showing, nothing is happening, who cares this story sucks (under all that pressure I often forget how to write even the most basic sentence).

The two novels I am currently focusing on are 1) BSR. An urban fantasy with vampires, psychics, and witches (oh my!) . 2) BEAUTY. Sci-fi with a horror twist. BSR is outlined as a series. I have books 2 and 3 all plotted out. Beauty is stand alone.

The hard part is pushing myself forward. Moving from one page to the next without second guessing myself or looking back. And trying to remember that this is a first draft, that it doesn’t have to be perfect. When I wrote my first novel my hands were possessed. I wish I could get there again.
Procrastination is sweet as pie but not nearly as filling.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2008, 10:14:24 PM »
You might enjoy this thread, yeah in typical JB fashion it got hijacked, still some people had some nice ideas. 

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,4353.0.html

Also some people on this thread did the ?nano? writing thing--write a book in 30 days or something.  That kind of pushes you out of your normal habits, I would think.

I hate when artists are pushed in school to "be" a certain way etc.  I've a sister-in-law who would have been a phenomenal artist but her full ride scholarship at an elite art school in Phil completely did her in.  It crushed her creativity and then they stomped on her.  As far as I know she's never seriously worked on anything again.  Thankfully life is long, perhaps she will re-discover that path and put to rest what the idiots did to her in the name of education.  Same for writers. 

Hugs and best wishes on your writing.  enjoy the process or why do it and take a whip to the bear in your room to make 'em behave.

Offline reed

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2008, 04:31:05 PM »
Hey,

I'm an aspiring author with way too much interest in way too many things, my biggest problem is that I have developed and designed several different games and stories for games that I'm lost in my own head sometimes, I'm currently working on designing a Fantasy world that would drive a physicist nuts and any sane person would drop dead with the shear amount of information creating itself inside my head. My second biggest problem of all is trying to organize and decipher all the info on my world(s) onto paper and develop the story.

Wow....perfect example of my head not being quite what I'm looking for it to do right now...let me say that a little better, maybe shorter sentences.

I'm an aspiring author in the Fantasy settings. I've developed a world that is a massive undertaking, considering that the world is approximately 10 times the size of Earth, and I have spent the last 2 years designing the maps, cultures, and populating the world with history, peoples, and creatures. I have figured out one thing out of all that I've developed lately is that, for me personally, taking everything that I've prepared and turning it into an RolePlaying Game is actually helping me develop the laws of nature, and magic. Oh, my other project that I recently started is a Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Comedy bit that involves a egotistical 'Verse Walker' that gets caught up in some goofy little bits throughout the many universes in, around, beside, and behind our own universe.

I just hope someone understands what I just said and can give me some hints/suggestions/nudges/ideas on how to get from mind to paper for my stories.

Ummmm, yeah, ..., later
Now starting the primary elections for Toot, King of Spring and Erlking, King of Autumn, with a special election for Winter Kingdom.

(I just made a crack-pot theory...What?...It could happen.)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 12, 2008, 06:02:45 PM »
welcome!

And uh uhmmm.....I guess just start writing now!  That would be my suggestion!  It sounds like the backstory and stage is set.  Go for it!  :-)

Offline Captain's Honor

• Participant
  • Somewhere between dreaming and destiny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2008, 05:59:35 AM »
My name is Ani and I've being dreaming and writing for almost 22 years.  Don't have much to show for it yet, except a lot of learning and a faith that hasn't quite died yet.  There are some days I wonder though.  My dream started out in 1986 with a idea that we needed a good horse book.  That quickly turned into a series of novles that spanned from the 19th Century to the 26th Century and beyond.  The series in various stages of completiion with 3 novels that are done.  Two need major rewrites and the third could be published as is, but it feels like it isn't quitie ready for prime time yet. 

You can read more about it here:  www.starsofheros.com.

And no, heros is not a misspelling to avoid a copyright infringment suit.  It meant a play on horse because there are still horses in this series.  The heroes are there too, though in their own eyes, they are just normal people.
"Legend isn’t about people; it is about the realism of a dream or higher ideal. It is about believing in something impossible, or highly improbable, and making it an actuality through faith and hard work."

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2008, 03:29:12 PM »
I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. I even completed a science fiction novel. I keep it in a drawer as proof that I can finish. I used to be able to just write and write, without thinking, without that voice that tells me every word sucks. Then I went to school for writing and sort of lost my voice and gained that monster that looks over my shoulder and points out what’s wrong with every word that hits the page. I spent years trying to find my voice again and to silence my monster.

Ouch, feel your pain.  My sister-in-law was/is an incredible artists.  She received a full scholarship to an incredible art school in Phil---they ripped it all out of her.   She dropped out and hasn't picked up her brush since--and that is over 25 years now.  I keep hoping she will find that light again when her kids are out on their own. 

BTW--my monster is a bear.  :-)