Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209454 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2007, 08:17:49 PM »
Welcome to Kevin (and why hasn't Karen checked in?  :D).  Your Gazette looks like a neat site! It appeals to my old west heart.  Pass the Colt 45 please---but only if I can shoot it!  I'll take a helping of silver bullets though at this point in my life.

Again--welcome to both of you!  Meg

(So did the tornado take you to Oklahoma? --via Oz of course?)

Would love to see some of your photos of the old steam engine!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2007, 05:37:51 AM »
(Grin),
Alas, the only western influence is that Grantville was transported from "West Virgina" to 1630 Germany. It is actually a Shared universe created by Eric Flint when he wrote 1632, originally a standalone Y2K novel, that popularity pushed in to 3,500,000 of "paid for" words of fiction. It expanded into seven novels, two hard back anthologies, and 15 (currently, published bi monthly) collections of short stories. As a market the Gazette pays 6 cents a word, and prefers stories of 5000 to 15000 words. Also 25% of each Gazette is made up of "Fact" articles (my main contribution) about making things work with the limited tech base that came back through time.

However here is a link to the club site for the 2926, our photo section goes from the original move out of the park, to last week.

http://www.nmslrhs.org/
Enjoy,
Kevin

Welcome to Kevin (and why hasn't Karen checked in?  :D).  Your Gazette looks like a neat site! It appeals to my old west heart.  Pass the Colt 45 please---but only if I can shoot it!  I'll take a helping of silver bullets though at this point in my life.

Again--welcome to both of you!  Meg

(So did the tornado take you to Oklahoma? --via Oz of course?)

Would love to see some of your photos of the old steam engine!
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2007, 04:15:15 PM »
Hrm...Author's in progress...yep thats me...lets see how many 'projects' I have rolling that I can never seem to finish;
(listed in order started)

"Arkestone"  (tm) and (c)
Fantasy with Magic-Tech elements and people descended from bargains with Otherwordly Powers; Element-blood, Animal Blood etc...
Starts following the end of the Overthrow of the King of one of the largest Kingdoms. Story centers around the Fleeing Princess of said Kingdom, the Drug-Addicted Captian of Her guard and the Captain's former lover and Fallen king's Champion.

"Idol City" (tm) and (c)
A Super hero story that explores a world where heroes and viallains are treated like major Celebrities and the inevitable fallout form a Fall from grace. Also covers the Conspiracies that both created them and try to manipulate them. Story centers around a Young and popular Pop-singer/healer, her old friend with a Sad past whom she loves dearly and a Young, Arrogant Reality TV star who is secretly in love with her.

"Nevermore" (tm) and (c)
A modern day Faerie tale revolving around the "Nevermore Home for Wounded Myths, Legends and Faerie-tales". A Hospital/Sanitarium/Sanitorium for Supernatrual creatures. Most of the action revolves aorund a group of young students and friends who get lost on their way to elsewhere and eventually make their way 'Home' and on their way become involved with the return of an Ancient evil and their destined roles in those same events. Through the course of the story their own personal demons and backgrounds grounds are revealed and dealt with for better or for worse. No one comes Home who doesn't need to be there...

"The Tao of Od" (Tentative titles) (tm) and (c)
Actually a children's story series about a very Od man. I may post 1 of the stories labor. Funny and sweet.

"Living Dead Girl" (Tentative title) (tm) and (c)
My current project about a Xombie girl from the 1940's who awakens in the 2400's trapped between Life and Death by her own Willpower. The story I've so far come up with is that she is ultimatley ona quest for vengeance against the Corporation that revived her from a 400-year slumber then abandoned her when she became a Liability. She is accompanied by a Soul-eating Saurian Alien and afaithful and freakishly intelligent dog-like creature named "Phydeaux". It's eventually goind to involve her very odd romance with a Blood-morph bounty hunter...(simplest explanation I could come up with for him)

...now if I could ever actually FINISH one...8P
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline Dante Inferno

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2007, 06:20:59 AM »
Heh, I'm probably quite a screwed up case of an A-I-P.

Trying to write a novel based on Arthurian legend and failing. Miserably.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2007, 01:03:55 AM »
so where are you messed up?  recently completed something with a nod to the same.  Glad to help you talk (or write  :) ) through it!  Love puzzles---and needing a challenge.   I'm in between projects.  Working on something that needs a lot of behavioral/isolation psychology research--so I'm booking the internet.  I'm not even sure if the science is grounded enough that I can make it fly.  First time ever I'm putting together the outline first--if it doesn't fall in place than I'll start something else.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline twinswin123

• Posty McPostington
  • It happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2008, 01:23:58 AM »
Hey I just had one of those health things about cyber bullying and posting crap on the internet so i wont say my name but i am writing a story about two mercenaries living in the near futures that have to deal with all the unsavory things that the future has to offer. They have befriended the head of the cops and a priest who also beats the crap out of bad guys in the area. I had to write it for a class and decided to stay with it. I am having trouble knowing when to transition from chapter to chapter. IF anyone could offer help, that would be great.
"You're going to kill us all!"

"Well you're ugly but we don't say that out loud."

"You've been naughty, go to my room!

Offline CynDe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »
I have been off the boards for a while, so here's an update. A wonderful agent accepted my manuscript and most of my free time has been spent editing and getting it ready for evaluation by an editor. Wish me luck!

Offline Drew

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • www.DrewHenriksen.com
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2008, 10:39:06 PM »
I have been off the boards for a while, so here's an update. A wonderful agent accepted my manuscript and most of my free time has been spent editing and getting it ready for evaluation by an editor. Wish me luck!

Good luck.

Offline twinswin123

• Posty McPostington
  • It happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2008, 02:13:33 AM »

Hope you have success
"You're going to kill us all!"

"Well you're ugly but we don't say that out loud."

"You've been naughty, go to my room!

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2008, 04:42:41 PM »
Here's to you CynDe!  *lifts shot glass.  We are pulling for you!  Let us know how it goes!  Meg :-)

Offline conte

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Amazon Breakthrough Novel Competition Entry
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2008, 12:53:50 AM »
Thanks to everyone who checked this out.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 04:30:14 AM by conte »

Offline DT777

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2008, 04:36:14 AM »
I guess this is as good a place as any to introduce myself.

I am more or less an aspiring author, like alot of people here I suppose. I've been writing(and, I'll admit it, roleplaying) for at least four years, but I've never really finished anything yet. I mostly didn't have the self discipline or patience to sit down and finish a book, but that started to change when I began (tenative title, at best) The Red Death, of which, portions of it are hosted up at deviantart.com, as well as other writing communities I frequent, in hopes of garnering some constructive critism and interest (which has so far worked out quite well.) Oh, and I'm also a Software Engineer major (weird, I know. Has absolutely nothing to do with writing.) at Auburn University.

Anyway, I wrote like 50+ pages (by Open Office's count anyway), and turned around and threw most of it all out and started over, because I realized I was never going to get anywhere if I simply wrote without doing some amount of planning out the storyline ahead. I went back and added a whole lot more imagery, detail, and general improvements to my original script, and find myself still in the process of doing so. If you're interested in reading it, the rewrite can be found here. (And those of you who are online roleplayers should visit to join in the fun =D)

I can't say I'm a long time fan of Jim, like some, because it was only last semester that I stumbled across Proven Guilty. (Which I only bought because I had just finished Darkfall by Dean Koontz, and I didn't want to read the Clive Custler or Stephen King books I yoinked from my mum.) I think it took me maybe a week, or two, to read through all of Jim's books, save White Night because the only Booksamillion in Auburn didn't have a copy at the moment, and I promptly went back and reread most of them. I think I read White Night twice in a row, in the span of like three days.

Though I do have something in common with everyone here: I'm eagerly awaiting Small Favor. I'm looking forward to at least two read throughs. Maybe more.

Offline Noey

• Posty McPostington
  • Life On Planet Pink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2008, 05:09:39 PM »
Deleted cuz I wanna get paid for this someday. ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 05:20:52 AM by Bibliotarian »
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. - C.S. Lewis

Offline Drew

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • www.DrewHenriksen.com
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2008, 08:24:12 PM »
I just finished writing an ultra, ULTRA low screenplay for a local filmaker here on Long Island called Drive to Darkness.  Hopefully it will get filmed this spring.  Oh, did I say it was Ulta low budget, I'm getting paid in beer.

Offline Meowsan

• Participant
  • Meow... i mean.. Pizza!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2008, 10:22:16 AM »
I just finished writing an ultra, ULTRA low screenplay for a local filmaker here on Long Island called Drive to Darkness.  Hopefully it will get filmed this spring.  Oh, did I say it was Ulta low budget, I'm getting paid in beer.

What one wouldn't do for some nice cold FREE beer...

low budget doesn't mean low quality... I hope we get to see them on Sundance!  ;D ;D ;D