Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209394 times)

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #525 on: April 07, 2012, 08:02:55 AM »
For me I need to know where the story is going. If I have a list of "bullet points" as a guide I can knock out 2.5 to 8K in four hours. I use voice to text, so kicking back and telling the story works for me, it plays well to my start as a campfire story teller.

It should be noted that Voice to Text needs significant edits...

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #526 on: April 08, 2012, 01:10:21 PM »
yeah it dose, but some times it has advanterges but it dosent like me if i keep swopping between here you tub, wikepidia and what i am writting
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:25:33 PM by cenwolfgirl »

Offline synthesis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 23, 2012, 01:50:03 AM »
I've been writing since I was a kid. 

Just a brief run-through, which now seems far more humorous and a bit surreal.  Bad college experience #1 with a committee.  I lost the fiction person on my committee when they went "slightly" mental and threatened to bring a gun to one of their classes.  That left me frantically looking for a new committee member months before graduating and getting fiction feedback from people who only wrote poetry and nonfiction.  I was young.  I quit writing fiction :P  Bad college experience #2 with another committee.  A pure nightmare that left me stuck spinning for about six years until I found a replacement completely outside my area--I'm a lit geek and a postmodernist; I ended up with someone in Restoration British lit on my committee (I call this period "fun with tenure requirements, and what happens when their aren't enough tenured professors in your area at the college you attend).  I quit writing academic stuff. 

I switched to writing nonfiction and returned to reading for fun and came out reinvigorated.  I've mainly published some poetry, some nonfiction, and some academic stuff here and there.  My husband finally convinced me to return to fiction, which was always my first love, this past spring.  I think the timing was finally right, and since February, I've been working on my first book.  I work full time, but try to complete somewhere between 2-4 chapters a week.  I'm hoping to have a draft finished by mid-May.  I also hope it doesn't completely suck, but right now, I'm just in it for the pure enjoyment I've found in writing fiction again :D

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #528 on: April 24, 2012, 04:29:40 AM »
I'm an indie author now.  First book is up on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Admiral-Spineward-Sectors-Novel-ebook/dp/B007WQSY44/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335240995&sr=1-1

Cover worked out well I think.

Sequel is around 110k on the rough draft.  Who knows when I'll get it finished and out the door.

the Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Gruud

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 02, 2012, 09:32:03 PM »
Well, I’ve been coming here for nearly  two years, after having found Jim’s writing instructions etc., but I made myself a goal of not posting in this thread until I had at least a full first draft in my hands.

And now, I’m happy to say, I crossed that threshold a few weeks ago, and now have what I consider to be a solid first draft of 168,000 words or approximately 523 pages**.

So, I now feel qualified to color myself as an author in progress.  ;D

Sure, it still needs plenty of work, but I’d even go so far as to say that it’s not a “rough” draft, but a proper first draft; a distinction I was in no way sure of achieving when I started.

So now, after a week or two off, and a fast read through, I’ve decided to take my first (quick) pass at the dreaded synopsis, so that it can evolve and improve along the way as the MS does.

Then it’s on to round two!!

** I’m using the standard formatting that everyone has described: Times New Roman 12, double spaced, 1 inch margins, etc.; but  feel like my word to page count does not match what I see in the paperbacks that I own. Is the word to page count thing geared more toward a different published format, or do I still have something wrong? I’m trying to compare my “size” to other paperbacks of a similar genre, but feel my math isn’t working. Any suggestions?

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 03, 2012, 02:24:04 AM »
Congratulations Gruud.  That's impressive.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #531 on: May 03, 2012, 06:09:28 AM »
Yeah way to go.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #532 on: May 03, 2012, 03:20:57 PM »
one of my freinds has started writting and she keeps asking me for help
i may poserbly be giving her advice bast on what i have read here as i have only been writting for a few years

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #533 on: May 03, 2012, 09:08:21 PM »
one of my freinds has started writting and she keeps asking me for help
i may poserbly be giving her advice bast on what i have read here as i have only been writting for a few years

I have a few links in here somewhere or other in a couple of my threads.  From ilona andrews, jim butcher and baen.  Why don't you send those links to her along with any advice you're giving?

If she has anything and wants to have it reviewed, have her sign up for Baen's Bar and go to the Slush Pile.  They aren't as hyper as the JB website about sharing your original work.  Plus she can get her feet wet by dropping comments and helping others.  Get a feel for what kind of comments are floating around and then decide if she's ready to share whatever she's doing.

Just looking at some of the comments for others should giver  her a few ideas.  I wish we could do the same thing here.

have a blast.

The Deposed King

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #534 on: May 04, 2012, 03:23:47 PM »
cool i will find that link tommorow and email it to her thank you  Deposed King

Offline Naomi

• Participant
  • Wait ... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 15, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »
Hello.  I am an author in progress, working on a novel.  I've loved reading since I learned the craft.  The first book I read by myself was "Put Me in the Zoo."  This taut tale of intrigue -- would the critter ever be accepted in the zoo? -- left me with a taste for mystery, excitement, and adventure in books.  And, a love of bright colors.

I enjoy words, and writing.  The first lesson in writing I recall came from my junior high school biology teacher, who informed me that my paper on photosynthesis was "verbose."  While I respected her knowledge of the inner workings of plant-life, I dismissed the idea of there being such a thing as writing too many words.  I continued to turn in 4 pages of writing for every 2 pages assigned in all my classes.  I skated through high school essay assignments with endless prattling, getting good grades for writing due more to volume, and word usage, rather than content.  Until college.

My college creative writing professor sang the praises of the first short story I turned in to him.  My word usage!  My colorful, and descriptive, prose!  My thrilling use of words with more than two syllables!  At the end of his praise, he asked me what the theme of my story was, as stories should have a point.  This was news to me.  Previously, I had either been spoon fed a theme, and wrote copious pages about it, or just wrote copious pages.  I began to learn about the craft of writing, although I struggled over the concept of a "theme."  Many years, and books and web sites on writing, later I began my novel -- there are three friends, and stuff happens to them.  Yeah...  I have expanded on that basic idea, and am forming, and populating, a world for my story.  I'm happy with the plot and characters I've developed.  I also have a vast amount of respect for every author who creates a new world, or new rules for the contemporary world.  My novel-in-progress even has a theme.  Probably.  I'm pretty sure it does.
I'm too young for senior discounts, but old enough to be thrilled when I get carded.

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #536 on: May 29, 2012, 01:08:53 AM »
Even though I have one story I listed on the other thread I feel like an author in progress since I seem to have forgotten how to write after that story. And not to mention working on various novels non of which are ready to send out. I am revising one and writing two others even though I have two waiting to be revised.

Actually years ago I sent two different ones out but only a couple of times.
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline JassTheGhost

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 29, 2012, 07:54:18 AM »
So im not big on typing out things about my self so here is video about me.
                                        http://youtu.be/gSk5uxxbPpI
 But i am an aspiring author. The book i am writing is called Three65 because the book follows a young man for three hundred and sixty five days and 4 hours in the first person. The book is meant to be a dark comedy of a satirical nature dealing with love, suicide, meaningless and meaningful sex, and overall the awkwardness of becoming something different. the book revolves around a young man who has a lot of problems and it follows for him as a year as he grows as a person. I hope to hear from you guys and look forward to any helpful suggestion's or words of wisdom.
Sorry for any Grammatical or Spelling errors. I have Dyslexia and i'm A.D.D . These are hurtles not walls though.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #538 on: June 29, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
welcome
good luck

(ps deposed king they helped her a lot thank you :) )

i am still working on my long project and school is curently taking up a lot of my time so am taking a brake

good luck every one ;D

CWG

Offline Naomi

• Participant
  • Wait ... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 05, 2012, 08:00:26 PM »
Greetings.  I've been away from the board for a bit.  I missed you guys.  I've been writing diligently.  Everything was coming together with my novel.  Until I realized when my story begins there is no reason for the MC to be there, and yet, there she was.  What happens to her at that time, at that location, is the catalyst for the rest of what happens in the story.   :o

This made me want to fall to my knees, rip my clothes, and shout Macbeth quotations from my front porch at passing strangers.  Instead, I've spent the past few weeks thinking of a solution, and then re-working the rest of the story to fit with the necessary change.

Everything is all better, thanks to my love of writing, perseverance, and a few glasses bottles of merlot.
I'm too young for senior discounts, but old enough to be thrilled when I get carded.