Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209392 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #510 on: February 04, 2012, 09:49:53 AM »
Update while I'm waiting for the first editing pass.  I'm not sitting by idle.  Yesterday I wrote the first 1.8k of the second book in the series Admiral's Gambit.  Today the total word count is now up to 10K!

So here goes nothing.  Who knows how long I can maintain this furious pace but I aim to keep it up until I burn out or have to go get another job.

Have a blast guys and gals.

Remember to always follow the dream,

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #511 on: February 05, 2012, 12:07:36 AM »
As for me, I'm slowly expanding my writing fields to my own worlds, and I'm laying down the first foundations of my fist fantasy novel, and blogging about it. Just joined Bean's bar myself and I'm easing my way into the forumn.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 05, 2012, 12:41:55 AM »
Hey there all. I'm a big noobie to the world of "professional writing". I've always been an avid reader and wrote for my own enjoyment, but I've only begun trying to get published this past year. I've written a handful of shorts and am working my way through my first novel. I have a blog series that I've just started up as a way to keep my writing going even when I'm too busy for longer pieces due to college and work. Here's my blog if any of you would like to take a look. http://dustinbishop.wordpress.com/ The blog series is kind of like Supernatural turned into a B-movie horror script. It's a bit different from my usual writing style. Minimal description, focus on dialogue and action. I'm trying to get more involved in the forum so I'd be glad to talk to anyone here about writing and perhaps even do some beta-reads when I get more free time, if anyone needs that sort of thing. Hope to get to know a lot of you.  8)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 05, 2012, 02:18:42 AM »
Welcome Darkshore. I look forward to your thoughts here in Author Craft.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #514 on: February 05, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »
Welcome Darkshore. I look forward to your thoughts here in Author Craft.
[/quote
In about a mounth my second draft will be proof read and i am going to check it but then i will need some people who know next to nothing to beta read it for me if your interested i would like to know but i will not put it on my blog so you will have to ask me directly for a coppy. ;D

Offline Sh33p

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 09, 2012, 01:52:55 AM »
Hi. My actual name's Ben and I'm a newbie to the whole world of professional publishing, less so to writing. I'm looking for a short story publisher right now, preferably something fantasy-related, but I've written across several genres and have stuff basically ready to go.

Any suggestions? :o

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 09, 2012, 01:56:16 AM »
I'd suggest going over to http://absolutewrite.com/ and getting enough posts to put some work up for critique in the SYW section. But if you feel it is entirely up to snuff for publishing I'd suggest http://www.beneath-ceaseless-skies.com/page.php?p=submissions. I sent my first short story there (before I feel I really knew what I was doing) and got a timely reply and even a personal rejection. That might not sound like much, but with all the countless form rejection letters floating around out there it feels like an accomplishment.

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 18, 2012, 05:09:58 PM »
Already been posting in Author Craft so it should be obvious, but as a background, I've written to complete novels and have to absolutely admit that they are drivel. I spent about 9 years now not writing more than the occasional short story to fill in my rollplayers in my stories with world building elements or minor plot points that tie things together. During that time, I unconsciously worked on my storytelling craft, building stories that addicting my roleplayers to my worlds and weaving complex plots that gave emmense satisfaction (at least to me) when the threads came together.

The hard part of that medium is that between when plot points are introduced and when they tie together, months or years may have passed and sometimes the roleplayers don't remember well enough the points there characters would easily put together. Now, I'm traveling, away from my family, and my daughters are avid readers interested in the genre's that I prefer. I'm writing a story so that I can tell them this story at a distance. There is no pressure to craft and publish the story in an ultimate dream of worldwide renown. I'm comfortable just being the local storyteller and using this medium like I would my vocal stories.

And, wouldn't you know it, this is the cleanest, most readible story I've ever written. I'm not sure if that's because of my years building believable and engaging characters, complex plots, interesting world settings, and straightforward rules for players to use or if its because I writing to an audience I know and care to make understand clearly what I'm saying. Either way, writing is fun again.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #518 on: February 20, 2012, 05:02:15 AM »
Already been posting in Author Craft so it should be obvious, but as a background, I've written to complete novels and have to absolutely admit that they are drivel. I spent about 9 years now not writing more than the occasional short story to fill in my rollplayers in my stories with world building elements or minor plot points that tie things together. During that time, I unconsciously worked on my storytelling craft, building stories that addicting my roleplayers to my worlds and weaving complex plots that gave emmense satisfaction (at least to me) when the threads came together.

The hard part of that medium is that between when plot points are introduced and when they tie together, months or years may have passed and sometimes the roleplayers don't remember well enough the points there characters would easily put together. Now, I'm traveling, away from my family, and my daughters are avid readers interested in the genre's that I prefer. I'm writing a story so that I can tell them this story at a distance. There is no pressure to craft and publish the story in an ultimate dream of worldwide renown. I'm comfortable just being the local storyteller and using this medium like I would my vocal stories.

And, wouldn't you know it, this is the cleanest, most readible story I've ever written. I'm not sure if that's because of my years building believable and engaging characters, complex plots, interesting world settings, and straightforward rules for players to use or if its because I writing to an audience I know and care to make understand clearly what I'm saying. Either way, writing is fun again.

Way to go Dragon Eyes.  I hope your daughters really enjoy the story.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #519 on: March 20, 2012, 08:43:24 PM »
right so i have a second draft of the first full story in my own world and am having some one check it for spelling and gramer errors and to see if it is any good
i have also started a few munths ago the second book in this same univers
so far the feed back from the first one from my freind is that i should try and get it published but i want to make so changes to it first and make shore there is apserloty no spelling or grammer problems and get a few other vews on it
i am working slowly bbut shorly and making progress on both books

good luck with all your writting everyone

CWG

Offline Daghain

• Conversationalist
  • Sleep is God. Go worship.
    • View Profile
    • Martinis for Breakfast
« Reply #520 on: April 04, 2012, 04:35:10 AM »
I've been "working on my novel" since I was fourteen (okay, granted, the "novel" has changed, merged, and evolved in the last 30  years) but I now feel that I am actually "working on my novel". I'm not giving out details, but I hope to actually get it done this year, and then figure out how to publish it. We'll see.
“Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka.” - Sanya

"Aye, luck favors and protects the foolish, yet that protection does not help those around the fool." - Sir Crash

Offline Taskill_Mckennan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 05, 2012, 05:34:54 PM »
I've been writing since i was maybe 5. I've had these ideas crawling around in my head like little bugs all the time.
I struggle with my writing though, because I cannot get a main character I truly like that doesn't feel like a massive Expy or Captain Ersatz.
Thankfully with TDF at least i've discovered what Writing style appeals to me (Before reading them, I'd always done 3rd person omniscient. I find 1st person to be a much more fluid writing style)
I've always had a strong love for Sci-Fi, Epic Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, (Any)punk, and even Low fantasy, but I just cannot pin down my style or my genre and it's driving me Friggin' insane

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 07, 2012, 12:49:33 AM »
Update while I'm waiting for the first editing pass.  I'm not sitting by idle.  Yesterday I wrote the first 1.8k of the second book in the series Admiral's Gambit.  Today the total word count is now up to 10K!

So here goes nothing.  Who knows how long I can maintain this furious pace but I aim to keep it up until I burn out or have to go get another job.

Have a blast guys and gals.

Remember to always follow the dream,

The Deposed King

Ok, I must ask;  Where do you find the time?  1.8k words is amazing, I was happy the one time I knocked out 600 words one night!  :(

EDIT:  Ok, I sold myself a little short, I wrote 1k words that night, but on most days I sit down to work on things its more like 300.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:52:08 AM by Madd »

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 07, 2012, 01:47:26 AM »
Madd you do the best that you can.
Everybody writes at different speeds and in different ways.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #524 on: April 07, 2012, 06:22:55 AM »
Ok, I must ask;  Where do you find the time?  1.8k words is amazing, I was happy the one time I knocked out 600 words one night!  :(

EDIT:  Ok, I sold myself a little short, I wrote 1k words that night, but on most days I sit down to work on things its more like 300.

If I have the whole day free I can do between3,5-7.5k.  Depending if I'm on a roll or not.  Right now more free days than I will have next month.  But I figure if I have two free days its 10k I can pump out.  But its like.  I park myself in front of the keyboard and deny myself reading or surfing priviliages.  I have to go back and edit later but hey, that's they case with everyone.

The Deposed King