Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209479 times)

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
  • Fear the Combat Teddy-Bear Robe!
    • View Profile
    • the Dark Nova Novels Website
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #435 on: May 16, 2011, 02:03:04 PM »
there's some fourty pages of in-character setting and background that I wrote for it before one even hits the rules, so I got to go a little nuts, it was fun :D
"You know, the sad part is, that whole Combat Teddy Bear Robe incident was done while sober... *facepalm* "

Offline Romantic Heretic

• Participant
  • I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there.
    • View Profile
    • Romantic Heretic
« Reply #436 on: May 17, 2011, 03:06:23 PM »
Well, it's not a novel, but the RPG I wrote is now published, just hit the printers last night and should be shipping out in two weeks. So, I am officially published... sorta :D

Well done.

I designed one myself a couple of decades ago. It was never published though.
To be angered by evil is to partake of it, stupid. - Phrases of Import and Salvation, Chapter IX, The Book of Universal Truths and Other Humorous Anecdotes

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 17, 2011, 06:37:38 PM »
Maybe it's time to trot it out, dust it off, tune it up, and see what can happen.

Offline WizardJay

• Conversationalist
  • Scientia est potestas
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 19, 2011, 05:16:11 AM »
Hi, my name's Andrew, but everyone calls me Jay. I'm mostly a science-fiction/fantasy writer, and haven't done much beyond some short stories and a lot of notes for fuller ideas. I'd love to be able to show some of that off, get some constructive criticism.

I've always liked telling stories. The first story I "wrote" was in second grade, and is what I now know is referred to as an "interquel:" in this case, filling in the story between the movies Peter Pan and Hook. On reflection, this was an auspicious omen for how my storytelling style would proceed…

Since then, I've tried and failed to work on numerous stories, covering everything from lost worlds to time travel and multi-universal epics. I've currently got a bunch of ideas bubbling in my head, including:
The Covenant Wars, a deconstructive fantasy epic.
Mad Ventures, what I call a "fusion punk fantasy" about a world torn apart by magic and mad science.
Sojourner, a science-fiction space opera.
LUNAcy/i will survive, a science fiction survival horror story.
And a whole bunch of other stuff, which does not bode well for my poor stories that will never get told.

It's a bit hard to nail down my style or my likes. I like fantasy settings where the magic has rules, but the protagonists (and villains!) can figure out how to turn those rules to their advantages. I like things to be explained or justified, and if there's one thing that bugs me it's someone saying "It's magic! I don't have to explain it!": if you're not going to explain it, at least justify why it can't be explained. I like protagonists who get ahead through thinking and planning, not through deus ex machina. And, well, the ability to let people be AWESOME. If I can justify someone resurrecting a dragon or dual-wielding a death ray and a magic wand or an army of cybernetic demons battling psychic knights in powered armor, then I'll do it.

As for how I'd like to improve, I'd like to at least write and complete something. I'd like to refine my style so it feels more natural and not so purple-prosey. I want to be able to write stuff that can make people laugh and cry. I'd like to write stuff that people like. And I'd like to write stuff that I like. That may be my biggest problem, that I'm my own worst critic who sometimes can't see what people like in what they've read. I suspect that my confidence issue is what needs to be conquered before I can improve much, but hey, admitting you've got a problem is the first step to fixing it, right?
Harry Dresden: *hypothetical dialogue* "Alright, you demonic screwheads, listen up! This… is my BOOM STICK! FUEGO!"

I've got a new nickname for our hero: Harry "Not-So-Subtle" Blastzone Burningfield Dresden.

The song's melody follows the river to the pond.

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 19, 2011, 08:46:27 PM »
Maybe it's time to trot it out, dust it off, tune it up, and see what can happen.
ESPECIALLY these days, when RPGs have largely been homogenized into D20 system or similar variants by a handful of companies. I miss the 80s, with the ten-frillion independent game systems and companies. There's a market for that sort of de-centralized and diversified product field again

WizardJay- One thing I was forewarned about a long time ago is this: its perfectly fine to diversify your own writing genres and even styles, but make sure each book falls into an easily-defined millieux, even if it has elements of others. For example, the first Dark Nova novel has elements of military sci-fi, adventure, a bit of romance, etc., but I had to pick one for marketing aspects. Thus, it was reclassed as a military sci-fi novel due to the majority focus being on the conflicts involved. Sounds like you have a pretty wide variety of genres to work from, so you'll probably have classifications from "Science-Fantasy" to "Steampunk" from the sounds of it :D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:51:17 PM by Breandan »
"You know, the sad part is, that whole Combat Teddy Bear Robe incident was done while sober... *facepalm* "

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 20, 2011, 12:15:08 AM »
WizardJay, try a novella. Make it 20,000 words. Put a 'finished' in your repetroir and see where that leads. Have trouble getting that wrapped up, then go with a short story. it is important to get from point A to point Z in order to test all the sections of a completed story.

I agree with Breandan if you are looking for something to market, but first completed works, which follows many rough drafts rarely go to market anyway. If you are writing to learn and your goal is complete something--then take what you want to do and finish it up.

Keep us posted and happy writing! 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline pjones31

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 29, 2011, 09:21:58 AM »
I have written one book in the fantasy genre, but to be honest it was a disaster lol It was not thought through, and it ended up being half-baked as far as subplots and character development. I tried to cram too much into one book, and it was around 400 pages long. So, long story short I have decided to re-do the whole thing lol I also write in the horror genre and am about 200 pages into a book there. Lastly, I'm writing another high fantasy novel that I just began but am extremely excited about and have been working on it nonstop. I have a ton of ideas, and I am putting forth a lot of effort. People have told me that I have a considerable amount of talent, but that I rush myself due to excitement. I guess I am just looking for opportunity to come knocking so I can actually get someone to read something of mine and say, "Wow. That was pretty good."

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 29, 2011, 12:19:31 PM »
Wait. People say you rush due to excitement? And think it is a fault?  Most people never get their stories down into rough draft. I say ride the excitement. Get your 'crappy' or 'shitty' draft complete. Then comes the hard work of several revisions and then more revisions.  Also, I heard once that it's usually the fifth or sixth complete (after revisions) novel that finally is worthy of being published.

Before reworking your first novel,  maybe decide if its worthy of your time revisioning.  Nothing wrong with delving into that second work--unless you are avoiding those subsequent and difficult drafts. 

Happy writing and keep us posted.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 31, 2011, 10:45:54 PM »
Well, I can't say for certain that it is a record-setter, but it would appear that I am now published as a part of what has to be one of the top three thickest RPG game manuals in history  ;D

....oops?

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 31, 2011, 11:36:25 PM »
Way to go!

Offline Gadzuric

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • handbags canada
« Reply #445 on: July 12, 2011, 07:26:37 AM »
Knowledge and learning accumulated day by day, not to seek fun.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 13, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »
ahh come on. If it wasn't some fun, you wouldn't do it, right?

Hang in there, Gadzuric. Stop in again so you can begin to remove that 'lurker' handle! LOL

Check out the game section. We've a couple fun ones that I like, "corrupt a wish" "answer with a book title" and so on. Also there is a thread where you can post what you've written word count wise or whatever pertaining to your work. Please do not post your actual work, but everything else is a go! It's nice to know that your passion of writing is shared by others and that you have a place to say, "Hi, I'm out here working away."

Offline 1eyedjack

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 29, 2011, 04:19:19 PM »
Hi, my name's Sean.  I'm rather new to the writing scene in terms of output that people actually see, but I've been writing for I guess over a decade.  I tend to drift towards either science fiction or fantasy and I try not to combine them.  I'm certain that writing is the way to go but it is difficult to hold onto that notion with a handful of bills so naturally I fall behind on my writing often.  

I've been writing a science-fiction story recently involving themes of madness, isolation, conspiracy, and a little bit of quantum physics.  I very nearly posted a story idea, but then I read the rules again.  I very nearly posted a sample, but then I READ THE RULES AGAIN.  I like stories about heroes who are intelligent, but not all knowing.  I like Batman but not Superman.  Maybe soon I'll dig up a blog if nothing else and post samples there.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:21:49 PM by 1eyedjack »

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 29, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »
If someone wants to read your stuff Sean you can always do it in PMs or private messages that way it's not out openly on the forum to maybe mess up JBs stuff.
You just ask if anyone is interested and to PM you - then go from there.  I think that's okay.

Offline 1eyedjack

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 29, 2011, 07:39:17 PM »
Snow,

It is difficult to ask for criticism while at the same time not sounding desperate for attention.  I know absolutely no one on the board so I'll try lurking and posting a bit to get to know folks before opening up with content.  If interest occurs then swell but I'm not going to shove my work down people's throats.  Thanks for the advice on PMs though, I appreciate it.  I'd also love to read anything that anyone has even if all I have to offer is a theatrical background and a talent for spelling in terms of criticism.  I can also display praise in a modestly acceptable vocabulary.  So, Snow, I guess I'm asking if I may read any work you've written or if nothing else a pointed finger at someone whose work you like on the board.