Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209490 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2007, 12:49:17 AM »
Wow, your super cell photo is beautiful!  Looks like a cover for your book! Welcome.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Mightybri

• Lurker
  • You can tell the story by the scars
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2007, 02:20:45 AM »
Wow, your super cell photo is beautiful!  Looks like a cover for your book! Welcome.

Funny thing is I made a limited run (meaning three spiral bound) books, which I gave one to my father on his seventieth B-day.  He made me watch Cujo at a tender age.  A point that I will always attribute a little of my dark streak to.  Anyhow, storms play a part in the book and I did use it for the cover.  I filtered it with a little dark sepia, brought out the gold and brown colors and Bam  cover page.

Additional note:  That supercell was from a tornadic supercell over Andover, Kansas back in 2002.

You can tell the story by the scars.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2007, 04:09:51 AM »
Hi,
My name is Kristine (big surprise right?) and I've been making up stories since I can remember.  I got into fan fiction when original series Star Trek fanzines were still popular (there now, I've dated myself) and tried writing original fiction while getting my English BA a while back.  I stopped writing when I started living with a published writer and realized that, unless you are very talented, it can be VERY hard.  It also didn't pay well enough to live on for most writers, and I didn't want to move back in with my parents.  I still want to write and I am looking for my true voice.  I have a tendency toward purple prose and info dumping that I am trying to force myself out of.  Some of my latest practices are fan related fiction and can be read here if anyone is the vaguest bit interested:

http://kristine1967.livejournal.com/

comments/criticism very welcome.

And now some information...

Purple Prose
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
–noun
writing that calls attention to itself because of its obvious use of certain effects, as exaggerated sentiment or pathos, esp. in an attempt to enlist or manipulate the reader's sympathies.  Writing full of ornate or flowery language. Ornate, flowery speech can also be referred to as purple prose.

Info Dump - the whole piece this is from is pretty funny and I found it at: http://www.kith.org/journals/jed/2006/04/29/3504.html -its by Strange Horizons editor Jed Hartman

“Infodump content types include the Backstory Historical, the Backstory Personal, and the Explanation Specialized (which has subtypes Scientific, Magical, and so on for other fields of human endeavor). Infodump delivery mechanisms include Faux Dialogue Naive (in which one character explains something to another character designed to be the reader-identification character, a character who doesn’t have the necessary background and thus must have it explained to them), Faux Dialogue Redundant (in which one character explains something to another character who knows it already, as I am doing now), Faux Thought Redundant (in which a character thinks something to themselves that they already know), and Narrative.”

“And are there specialized techniques for delivering infodumps?”

“A great many, Doctor,” I said, gathering confidence. “For example, as you know, there is the famous ‘As you know, Bob’ introductory phrase. Another example: one character may interrupt to ask another character questions, avoiding the problem of an infodump turning into one gigantic endless paragraph.” Then, too, I thought, pieces of an infodump may be provided using different delivery mechanisms, again breaking it up. “I trust that you read that bit of narrative and thus that I don’t need to rep—”

“Yes, yes. Now, quickly, before our reader gets bored and turns the page: tell me the reasons that authors use infodumps.”

“That one is almost too easy, Doctor; like all members of our society born in the past thirty years, I learned it while I was but a mere squalling babe. As the scriptures tell us (the scriptures you should be familiar with, having written them yourself): ‘Thou shalt provide the reader with all of the information needed to understand everything in the story.’ In the old days, before the advent of the Total Narrative Society, fiction sometimes contained ambiguous or unclear passages. These days, thanks to you and your colleagues, all fiction is completely clear. It may be, as some critics allege, that it has become a bit dull—”

“I leave it to History to judge the charge of dullness, my young friend. But what I really want to know is this: Can the infodump be done well? Think carefully before you answer; humanity’s future may depend upon it.”

I mused over all the infodumps I had encountered. As you know, self, I thought, so many of them are so bad! And in recent weeks, they had only gotten worse, with many stories in which my eyes had glazed over at paragraph after paragraph of poorly delivered backstory and quasi-scientific explanation. Furthermore, in many of those cases, the material presented wasn’t remotely necessary to the story; they were cases of the author being so enamored of their worldbuilding and ideas and research that they felt they had to stop the story to explain them to the reader.

And yet, I had to admit to myself, sometimes infodumps are presented well. The best infodumps I had seen were generally presented as narrative, told directly to the reader, without explicit attempts to disguise them as dialogue or thoughts. Then, too, sometimes they took the form of encyclopedia or dictionary entries, though that was a technique that could easily be overused.
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline BlueStocking

• Posty McPostington
  • Caution: May cause loud.
    • View Profile
    • I twitter :D
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2007, 11:59:07 PM »
Hi :D  I'm Jessie.  I write fansty stuffs- some things are urban fantasy, but mostly they're set in Middle Ages-esque other worlds.  I haven't been published yet, but I'll hopefully be sending something to an online publisher soonish.  If I don't change my mind, anyway.  The story is kind of Halloween related and they may not want it a week after October XD  But who knows...

Umm...other than that, I guess I don't have much to say....except that I'm physically incapable of writing short stories, it seems XD
"So, you're saying that if we don't do something, everything will go wonkytaters?"
"Umm...is wonkytaters a bad thing?"
"Yes."
"Then yes.  Everything will go wonkytaters."

Offline Troubled darkness

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2007, 07:45:20 PM »
I've been writing for a while now, my current WIP is an urban fantasy book, set in Britain and features all sorts of different races. It's hard to explain at the moment.

I have so many ideas, my problem is sticking to one and not deviating to all the other ones i think of constantly.

I don't write to get published however I write for myself, I will try but I'd write anyway even if I wasn't good enough to be published. I get something out of writing that makes me feel better when I'm down.

Offline Vox Arcana

• Participant
  • Metaphysically wrinkle-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2007, 03:51:44 AM »
Hello!

My name's Kristen.  Started writing when I was in junior high, but it was pretty much all crap until I took a "Craft of Writing Fiction" class in college.  I've never really thought about trying to get any of my stuff published; it's just one of my creative outlets to keep the snarky, sarcastic side of my personality in line.

So yeah. I'm a big geek.  Hi.
"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."
-Isaac Asimov

Offline Craz

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Superheroes and Sorcerors
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2007, 04:01:19 AM »
Well, introductions:

My name's Justen, and I was an alchol-wait, wrong introduction. Let's do this again.

My name's Justen, and I am a writer. I've been doing this since the seventh grade (a remarkable four years). I live in San Jose, California, and currently attend a high school which currently shall go nameless. I try to write Star Trek, but urban fantasy also deeply captures my interest. I would say enthralled, but I don't want to inseminate the idea that any dark wizardry was involved. I'm seventeen years old, and my first story was just actually finished last week (at a disparaging 6,210 words). However, story number two of that series and number one of my fantasy series are in the works.

To get myself by in life, I work as a librarian's aide for the Edenvale Branch of the San Jose Pubic Library, and I also proof-read my mother's writing (It runs in the family. My mother's a writer on womens' subjects).
J.A.H., author.

Check out Superheroes and Sorcerors, my blog and archive at http://justenhunter.com !

Offline pj

• Lurker
  • If I'm not back by breakfast...call the president.
    • View Profile
    • Fromthebones
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2007, 04:48:49 AM »
Hey all, my name is PJ Lyon

Sadly an author-in-waiting as I like to put it.   

I'm currently finishing up two novels in a series about a London based Albino vampire who runs a nightclub (polishing).  One straight ahead mystery series about a Columbo-like Hollywood gossip journalist called Joe Luna, who keeps stumbling across dead bodies (polishing and rewriting the last few chapters).

My latest project is here http://www.fictionmonster.com/lazarine

I'm posting it chapter by chapter as I write, and using NaNoWriMo as a motivator to get it done.  It's a cataclysmic tale of ancient evils that trigger a war of undead across America.

I studied English and got a Masters degree a few years back (absolutely useless in the real world).  Other than that I worked for a brief period as a teacher, and for the last six years I worked in the IT field as an indentured slave (technician) until I went 'Hulk' a few weeks ago with my boss and quit.  Hey, you've got to take a leap at some point, right?

In any case, glad to be here in good company, and any tips you have before I embark on the agent merry-go-round I'd be glad to have 'em.

PJ

Offline *Lady Disappearing Act *

• Posty McPostington
  • don't you use those ellipses on me
    • View Profile
    • Upstairs Productions
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2007, 05:23:59 AM »
currently working on a script for a graphic novel with complete story arc. 
ooo that sounds kind of lame.
but it's awfully fun!
some character sketches here:
fig 1
fig 2
fig 3
fig 4
i was there for the first International Rasputin Day

You should be watching Break a Leg

Offline Zygoptera

• Conversationalist
  • Alright, do that voodoo that you do, not very well
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2007, 05:27:56 AM »
Awesome sketches! I love the third one!
Cave ab homine unius libri

Great Ruler of the Regions Where Things Freeze Solid And Fall Off

Offline *Lady Disappearing Act *

• Posty McPostington
  • don't you use those ellipses on me
    • View Profile
    • Upstairs Productions
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2007, 06:07:09 PM »
thanks! :)
i was there for the first International Rasputin Day

You should be watching Break a Leg

Offline Drew

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • www.DrewHenriksen.com
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2007, 11:19:12 PM »
Looks great!

Offline Ursiel

• Posty McPostington
  • Voy perdiendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2007, 05:19:11 AM »
Hi. I don't wish to tell my actual name so I won't. I'm trying to right a story and it shall be my first. The problem I have with writing is sticking with one plot rather than making a story that has many different plots that aren't related, although, I feel confident that I will make this story work.
Now I stand, the lion before the lambs... and they do not fear.

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2007, 12:35:42 PM »
Looks like i dropped this in the wrong place, cut it if you want. Ahh the risks of posting at the end of a shift....

Hi all,
I'm Kevin Evans, and I write, (sigh).

Lets see, I'm 51, My wife does all my editing, (see what happens when you marry an English major Grin), I live in New Mexico, and would sell more if I spent more time writing. This year we have sold about 65,000 words  @ .06 a word with about half of it scheduled for publication over the next 6 months. Samples of my stuff is at http://www.grantvillegazette.com/authors/Kevin_H._Evans

My writing started after the 06 world con where one of the GG ed board asked for a short story and two "fact" articles.
Current projects include a  SF novel, and about twelve short subjects set in the 1632 universe.
Hobbies include restoring steam engines (the 2926 a 1944 Santa Fe 4-8-4) Hot air ballooning, and experimental airship design.
Regards,
Kevin
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 12:43:06 PM by KevinEvans »
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline Ursiel

• Posty McPostington
  • Voy perdiendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2007, 12:52:33 PM »
I have an excerpt for a new story. I'll post the link soon.
Now I stand, the lion before the lambs... and they do not fear.