Author Topic: Author In Progress  (Read 209457 times)

Offline MrWiggles

• Participant
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Author In Progress
« Reply #405 on: February 05, 2011, 12:06:45 AM »
I'm working on a comic!

A shonen high martial arts comic. It was originally planned to be a web comic, but my other author and arist sorta, poofed on me, so now I'm writing it, and going to be sending if off to various indy comic publishers.

For those who dont know what a shonen high mart arts comic, is, DBZ is probably the most prolific known example I can point to, and pull from.

The story is about Kyle, Zak and Rush primarily, and the affects of hero'ing has on them.
For Kyle, it defeats his own cynicism, and makes him take responsibility for not only his own action, and own to his potential.
For Rush, it embitters him towards everyone and makes him paranoid and spiteful toward the world.

They do this, while they fight off an alien invasion, a coup to take over the world, and a demon that nearly kills everyone.

It ends with one of the three main characters dying at the hands of another one.

-Overall, I'm outlining completely, before I start writing out the scripts.

Here is my overview outline,
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfb9vxvt_32f838g4f2

(click to show/hide)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 07, 2011, 05:28:18 PM »
Hey Wiggles, lovely post, but I think you should pull the website to your outline. Just a little too much intellectual content there? Mickey is really cautious about this and I tend to always lean on whatever side he takes.  Better to be more cautious that feel like an a** later...

Best wishes on your writing. I love the image!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #407 on: February 07, 2011, 09:32:16 PM »
Very cute illustration!  He looks kind of the way I always envision Nobby Nobbs of Discworld. :)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 07, 2011, 10:19:18 PM »
Very cute illustration!  He looks kind of the way I always envision Nobby Nobbs of Discworld. :)
So Liz, love your cover.

How does it feel to know that when a reader goes to Amazon.com to books and types in "Crooks beh" and your book autofills? That's gotta be a thrill. But no reviews yet? Well early days.  Everyone support a friend, buy it, and then fricking write up a review for her?!?!?

I am.

Hugs Liz.  I would have blatantly cut and pasted the wonderful first paragraph but not sure it was really, uhm, legal?  LOL. Meg
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline MrWiggles

• Participant
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 08, 2011, 02:30:49 AM »
Hey Wiggles, lovely post, but I think you should pull the website to your outline. Just a little too much intellectual content there? Mickey is really cautious about this and I tend to always lean on whatever side he takes.  Better to be more cautious that feel like an a** later...

Best wishes on your writing. I love the image!

Not terribly no.
The Hero Saga outline, is 1839 words long, compared to 1889 overview outline linked above. The more detailed outlines, are page by page goals, and contain way more notes. Thats also where I am trying to leave issues an appropriate length in page number.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 08, 2011, 02:40:33 PM »
Thanks for the very kind endorsement, Meg!  And yes, feel free to cut and paste the opening paragraph (or I can do it if the site won't allow you to.)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 08, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »
Thanks for the very kind endorsement, Meg!  And yes, feel free to cut and paste the opening paragraph (or I can do it if the site won't allow you to.)
site won't let me...  Can you?  that would be cool. I ordered it yesterday from amazon.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 08, 2011, 09:15:19 PM »
Here you go:
"Jessamy Cameron Finch was just shy of thirty years old; he had brown hair and sleepy blue eyes and the kind of features that women often called ‘sensitive’, much to his annoyance.  That he was currently sitting naked on a twelfth-story ledge in the middle of an ice storm in February was a different kind of annoyance, one which Jess was forced to admit had been his own fault..."

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 09, 2011, 05:12:22 PM »
see, buy it and read it! I can't wait to get it!

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #414 on: February 09, 2011, 10:48:39 PM »
My name's Paul Anthony Shortt. I've recently finished my first full-length novel and I'm working on my second. Currently doing the grunt-work trying to find an agent right now, and submitting some short stories for a few open-call anthologies.

I write primarily urban fantasy. The one I've just finished is set in New York, about a man who starts remembering past lives and investigates a series of murders which have been happening over a period of 200 years.

My new one is about a young delinquent who is sentenced to carry out community service and winds up working for a modern-day knight in a world where magic is real and common knowledge.

I have a blog here where I talk about things to do with my writing and lessons I've learned. I'm also on Facebook.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 09, 2011, 10:53:22 PM »
welcome Wordmaker! I hope you won't lurk, but will be an avid poster in our little corner of the JB universe!

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 10, 2011, 03:13:16 AM »

Er...remember that Nobby actually carries a note from the doctor saying he's human.
that young man is much too good looking for that.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #417 on: February 10, 2011, 01:05:04 PM »
Thanks, I'll do my best!

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 10, 2011, 02:20:35 PM »
Er...remember that Nobby actually carries a note from the doctor saying he's human.
Very true ;)
@ Wordmaker:  Those both sound like really interesting premises--good luck with them!

Offline MrWiggles

• Participant
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 10, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »
Kyle might need one later on. He sorta looses his hand and few other things. The hand gets eaten and the bones get sent back to him as a necklace.