Author Topic: Published Author On Board  (Read 147245 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: Published Author On Board
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2012, 11:01:29 PM »
Got my first royalty payment from Amazon today--a whopping 17 bucks! :)

I got ten bucks for my first first month.  And for each of the next two.

so far you're riding high!

the Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2013, 04:04:36 AM »
Hey guys, my debut young adult crime fiction will be published by The Poisoned Pencil, which is a young adult imprint of The Poisoned Pen Press. I've described it as an edgy young character of Bones ilk which will appeal to future Baldacci Camel Club fans. Others have told me it's kinda like Veronica Mars, but I haven't read those or seen the series. I'm not sure that I should.

I was humbled last spring to receive a mentor ship from author Jan Blazinin through the SCBWI-IA. She praised my character's age-appropriate voices. I received the same comments from an agent this last weekend who also gave me great feedback on my technical skill, pacing, tension, etc. etc. etc.

I wouldn't have started this journey and the many classes and conferences without the advice, support, and guidance from you guys. Thank you all at jim-butcher.com. You are all awesome!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2013, 07:48:42 AM »
Congratulations Meg and way to go.
Yaaaaaaaaaaa - does Kermit the Frog arm wave. :D

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2013, 01:39:12 PM »
Congratulations and good luck with it! Way to go! :) :) :)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2013, 03:34:14 PM »
Add my congrats to the list. Well done!!

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2013, 12:35:30 AM »
Congratulations! That's great news.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
Thank you all. The author website over there is excited because one of their authors was named on the Kirkus Review 2013 top mystery/crime fics. Her name is Charlotte Hinger. I'm with the press' new imprint with their first book coming out in March. I'm six author signed and the editor has made me promise to duck tape my fingers together and not touch Book I until she can work on it, so Book II is getting lots of love and word count.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2013, 03:33:14 AM »
Off topic:

Anyone here know anything about Curiosity Quills Press?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2013, 03:42:25 AM »
Off topic:

Anyone here know anything about Curiosity Quills Press?

I got nothing.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2013, 09:35:32 AM »
There's a thread about them on Absolute Write:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240830

It's a few pages long, and I'm not sure what to make of them on a quick glance of the earlier posts. They seem very new to the industry, and made up mostly of authors who came together to get their own books published. I have nothing against that, my own publisher is a family-run business and their first author eventually became the managing editor, but the thread might be worth looking into.

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2014, 01:41:19 AM »
I've been published through a small press inside a niche fandom; a novella and 10 short stories (3 forthcoming). Also I've either served as primary or secondary editor on three anthologies, with a fourth I just opened the call for. But the writing is all weird erotica so I'm being vague.

I'm trying to break into more mainstream markets and having real difficulty at it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:53:52 AM by Rechan »

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2014, 02:19:06 AM »
Difficulty in writing more mainstream fiction or difficulty in generating interest from mainstream publishers, if you don't mind me asking?
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2014, 02:36:19 AM »
Difficulty in writing more mainstream fiction or difficulty in generating interest from mainstream publishers, if you don't mind me asking?
The latter. I've had several horror stories rejected so far. Also, I tried to put together an anthology, but small press publishers either don't do anthologies or only work with in-house editors; the publishers I'm used to dealing with have no editors on staff, so they're far more willing to work with outsiders.

But I'm also having trouble in terms of conceptualizing - I'm asking for help on that over here.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2014, 02:51:32 AM »
The latter. I've had several horror stories rejected so far. Also, I tried to put together an anthology, but small press publishers either don't do anthologies or only work with in-house editors; the publishers I'm used to dealing with have no editors on staff, so they're far more willing to work with outsiders.

But I'm also having trouble in terms of conceptualizing - I'm asking for help on that over here.

Thought about going to the self-pub route?

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2014, 02:54:19 AM »
Thought about going to the self-pub route?

Craig
Not willing to go that route, no.