Author Topic: Good books on writing  (Read 10351 times)

bookgodess15

Re: Good books on writing
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 03:29:08 AM »
I've read 'The First Five Pages' and absolutely loved it.  'The Elements of Style' is definently a must-have for every writer, though it is a bit dry.  Okay, so it's really dry.  You've gotta have some drive to be able to sit down and read it, because unlike The First Five Pages, it doesn't sit down and entice you with jokes and understanding.  It just flat out tells you grammar.  But it's excellent and works as a bunch of textbooks rolled into one.  I also found this site unbelievably helpful. 

Moni

Offline Meren

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 03:41:07 AM »
I lack the gramatical smarts to be a proper writer, and I always felt I was more of a reader but I do plan and plot a lot of games.  One of the books I’ve found to be most helpful is Techniques of The Selling writer. 

You can find it here http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=0806111917&itm=1

My English professor recommended it back when I was under the impression that I might want to actually let other people read my writing.  I decided against the whole sharing my writing thing but it did improve my ability to write games.

Offline pinkdoom

• Participant
  • I am nothing if not hi-lar-ious...occasionally
    • View Profile
    • Pinkdoom's Livejournal
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 05:02:36 PM »
I just got done reading Spunk & Bite:  A Writer's Guide to Punchier, More Engaging Language and Style by Arthur Plotnik.  A fairly short read, and I thought it was really useful for today's reading audiences.  Check it out.
-There's ADD, ADHD, and then there's the undiscovered, but highly dangerous WWDMTW...Wizards Who Don't Multi-Task Well.
-Right now, my arsenal of spells includes puff of air and ball of cheese.  I don't think either one's going to be of much help, though.