Linked Events

• Signing: San Diego, CA: April 05, 2008

Author Topic: Signing: San Diego, CA, on April 5th  (Read 24874 times)

Offline hamiltond

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Signing: San Diego, CA, on April 5th
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2008, 03:50:46 AM »
I was the one who asked about Luccio being able to make swords again

He did put the whole Charity making the swords thing to rest didn't he.
Whaddya got for a fiery beam o death?!!
You got nuthin for a fiery beam o death!!!

"Mo Magic, Mo Problems"

Offline JRBobC

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2008, 03:56:38 AM »
Is there any chance that someone recorded it and is in the process of making a transcript for it?  I only ask this because these seem like great times to get info out of him, but not everyone is able to go to a Q&A Signing.
Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, PATIENCE IS A F***ING VIRTUE.  There, now I might be able to follow it.

Regarding Cover art: "You have no control. If you’re really lucky you get an art director who will let you use Vaseline when he bends you over." -Glen Cook

Offline hamiltond

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 04:19:54 AM »
Maybe Valorcast did
Whaddya got for a fiery beam o death?!!
You got nuthin for a fiery beam o death!!!

"Mo Magic, Mo Problems"

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 05:21:48 AM »
same here! I jumped in excitement :D

he always gives such great books... by the way, I was the one who asked about Luccio being able to make swords again :) I was also in the group laughing at the excerpts read out of the cliche vampire romance novels :P

I figured that was you!  Wish I'd have seen the note about the coffeeshop before we went home.

I'm sneaky, quiet, and hid in the seats. :)

*edit to add* I tried to video it, but my battery died about 5 seconds in. 
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline SeanChristopher

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 05:36:16 AM »
What was the name of the book that he recommend?

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline SeanChristopher

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2008, 05:41:43 AM »
Thanks. It looks pretty interesting.

Offline Notneeded

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2008, 05:56:08 AM »
I figured that was you!  Wish I'd have seen the note about the coffeeshop before we went home.

I'm sneaky, quiet, and hid in the seats. :)

*edit to add* I tried to video it, but my battery died about 5 seconds in. 

I wish I had seen it as well. We should plan a fan meet up at Comic Con  ;)
“When you get to the end of all the light you know and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: either you will be given something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly.” - Edward Teller

Offline Valorclast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2008, 06:30:57 AM »
I wish I had seen it as well. We should plan a fan meet up at Comic Con  ;)

totally! i'm planning on being there and hope it can work out :)

too bad about the video Amber, if I had my normal camera I would have videoed it but... someone was smart and left it in LA ::)

I can feel you all around me
Thickening the air I'm breathing.
Holding on to what I'm feeling,
Savoring this heart that's healing.

~~~
Valorclast of the Blackthorne's

Offline Xellos

• Lurker
  • I don't believe in faeries!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2008, 07:39:46 PM »
So I was lying in bed the day Small Favor came out, having finished it earlier in the evening, and I thought hey, I wonder if he's signing books in California - I live in Los Angeles, so I thought he might be signing nearby.

Lo and behold, I discovered he was signing in San Diego on Saturday, so a friend and I drove about two and a half hours to get there (traffic was pretty bad as we got to San Diego). Man, was it ever worth the trip.

The Q&A was hilarious and awesome. Jim introduces himself to a round of applause, then informs us that most places he goes to assume he's going to read from his books, but he tends to assume his audience is capable of reading on their own - so he's going to go right to the Q&A. He then decides that instead of sitting on the chair behind the podium, he's going to sit ON the podium. He was, as someone noted earlier in the thread, wearing a "Hello, my name is" nametag with "Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." written on it. It seemed like a very Jim thing to do.

There were a lot of good questions asked, and some very interesting answers, including the hints about the next book that have been discussed previously. I asked him two questions. One was how old Murphy is - he said she was around 30 at the start of the series, which makes her 38-ish now since eight years have passed. The other was whether there was any chance we'd get to see Lash again (as I phrased it, I've always referred to Lasciel/Lash, Lara Raith and Mab as the Evil Harem (although I guess Lash didn't count at the end), and I missed having Lash around). Jim considered this for a second, and then goes "I'm not gonna tell you!" in a sing-songy voice, at which point the whole store burst out laughing. I have now been officially mocked by Jim Butcher. I am awesome.

I'd already bought Small Favor, but since it was a numbered signing, I called up early and reserved myself a second copy so I'd get a number. I also bought a Proven Guilty so I could get it signed for my friend - which turned out to be the perfect number of books, since Jim was signing three (I brought my other Small Favor as well). I was number 107 in line, and my friend was 108, so I ended up right behind Valorclast and a couple of other people. We proceeded to have a rather entertaining conversation while we waited in line, especially when we got inside the store and started reading passages from random vampire books in very dramatic voices.

When I finally got up to Jim, I was complimented on my shirt ("The Top Ten Reasons I Procrastinate: 1.") and we commiserated about the fact that the publishers wouldn't let him make all the book titles really terrible puns. My impression of him before meeting him was that he was a cool guy, a total nerd, and someone who'd be a lot of fun to meet - and I'm glad to say he lived up to every one of my expectations.

I'll definitely have to go to Comic-con this year to see him again.
"When you do something stupid and die it's pathetic.  But when you do something stupid and live it's heroic."

"What we're doing is pathetic, right?"

"Probably."

Offline KingPandemic

• Conversationalist
  • read too much gotta pay more than smokers :]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2008, 07:43:56 PM »

When I finally got up to Jim, I was complimented on my shirt ("The Top Ten Reasons I Procrastinate: 1.") and we commiserated about the fact that the publishers wouldn't let him make all the book titles really terrible puns. My impression of him before meeting him was that he was a cool guy, a total nerd, and someone who'd be a lot of fun to meet - and I'm glad to say he lived up to every one of my expectations.

I'll definitely have to go to Comic-con this year to see him again.
dude!!!!
i have that same t-shirt

its green isnt it
i have teeth?

Offline MonaLS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2008, 07:47:31 PM »
The other was whether there was any chance we'd get to see Lash again (as I phrased it, I've always referred to Lasciel/Lash, Lara Raith and Mab as the Evil Harem (although I guess Lash didn't count at the end), and I missed having Lash around). Jim considered this for a second, and then goes "I'm not gonna tell you!" in a sing-songy voice, at which point the whole store burst out laughing. I have now been officially mocked by Jim Butcher. I am awesome.

He did mention at the San Mateo book signing that he wasn't done with Lash. :)
“There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast” Anonymous

Offline Xellos

• Lurker
  • I don't believe in faeries!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2008, 07:56:09 PM »
He did mention at the San Mateo book signing that he wasn't done with Lash. :)

Excellent. I heard something like that from someone in line, and am very much hoping it's true.

KingPandemic: Mine's black, actually. Awesome shirt though, isn't it? :)
"When you do something stupid and die it's pathetic.  But when you do something stupid and live it's heroic."

"What we're doing is pathetic, right?"

"Probably."

Offline KingPandemic

• Conversationalist
  • read too much gotta pay more than smokers :]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2008, 08:05:20 PM »
Excellent. I heard something like that from someone in line, and am very much hoping it's true.

really?
and yes i wear it all the time, it fits me so well :D
i have teeth?

Offline Valorclast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2008, 12:57:16 AM »

I agree that the t-shirt is awesome :D it was great to stand in line with you!

we should all meet up at Comic-Con, maybe plan it when the times gets nearer?

I can feel you all around me
Thickening the air I'm breathing.
Holding on to what I'm feeling,
Savoring this heart that's healing.

~~~
Valorclast of the Blackthorne's