Author Topic: A bit of help...  (Read 5085 times)

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
A bit of help...
« on: February 08, 2008, 05:18:31 AM »
I need a name for an occurrence that seems to be a mixture of an earthquake, a powerful thunderstorm, and an explosion. It also tends to screw up communications, power transmission, and probablities. It usually happens during a time when a weakness in reality has a hiccup.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
Re: A bit of help...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 06:18:37 AM »
I'm thinking of the Bermuda Triangle when it urks up or a sunspot that messes up electrical equipment and magnetic fields, but thats all I got.
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 02:33:58 PM »
An intense solar flare causing a powerful vortex in the Earth's magnetic field? A wandering mini black hole singularity the size of a marble that distorts space-time in the limited area around its event horizon?
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 05:53:41 PM »
There are spots in the world where the walls of reality are thin, and on occasion, stuff comes through these, for lack of a better term, holes. When this happens, it affects the weather, causes small earthquakes, screws up power and broadcasts, and even probablities. The name I'm using for this occurance is "Stormquake" which sounds stupid.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 10:07:21 PM »
cool, how we can naturally mix science with our sci fi thoughts...

Since this is in the sci fi realm, not science, I'd probably go with an un-natural EPM.. or  UN-EPM.  Or perhaps a paranormal EPM... P-EPM.  Just my first thoughts.

Earthquakes can cause severe thunderstorms that takes out communications, perhaps spawn tornadoes that could ACT like an explosion in a tightly enclosed building.  But I think you are more in the sci fi realm right? 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline CrazyGerbilLady

• Posty McPostington
  • Rumblestrut!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 03:12:00 AM »
Reality quake?
SqueakyTiki, goddess of rodents and other small furries

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 06:20:53 AM »
cool, how we can naturally mix science with our sci fi thoughts...

Since this is in the sci fi realm, not science, I'd probably go with an un-natural EPM.. or  UN-EPM.  Or perhaps a paranormal EPM... P-EPM.  Just my first thoughts.

Earthquakes can cause severe thunderstorms that takes out communications, perhaps spawn tornadoes that could ACT like an explosion in a tightly enclosed building.  But I think you are more in the sci fi realm right? 

In the world where this takes place, magic and science are both found. There are places in this world, like the Cotwolds and Dartmoor in England, the Pine Barrens in New Jersey, the Naga Hills in India where the walls of reality are thin. A certain intervals, be is a month, a few weeks, or a year, these areas become active, start spewing out people, creatures, and things. I'm trying to come up with a somewhat original name for a side effect of these events. They are sometimes bad enough that people have to go to shelters. 

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 05:27:41 PM »
Reality quake?

Cascade Paradox
Paradigm Flux
Quantum Tempest
Metaphysical  Hiccup :P
(or various combinations of the above)

Let me ask you this, whats sort of usage are you going to give this thing.  If we're taking something that will be used during the nice explanation chapter or whatever, something more scientific and/or long but accurately descriptive might be what you need.  If its something the heroes are are going to be shouting at each other as shit meets fan, it might be more important for it to sound good and role of the tongue.  You may even what to have two terms to work with, one for the reality phenomenon (say Paradigm Flux) and then another for the collateral damage side of the effect (say FluxQuake).

And what is the effect of this spewing of magical stuff.  is it purely an energy discharge? do elves and vampires show up on the street?  Is it sort of a reality revision, where what was is now something else (mounted cops horse turns into a unicorn or some such)?  Just trying to get the  feel of the thing

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 07:20:51 PM »
ORV.... other realities vomit.  What can I say, I like the simpliest names... ;D ;D
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 04:43:57 AM »
Cascade Paradox
Paradigm Flux
Quantum Tempest
Metaphysical  Hiccup :P
(or various combinations of the above)

Let me ask you this, whats sort of usage are you going to give this thing.  If we're taking something that will be used during the nice explanation chapter or whatever, something more scientific and/or long but accurately descriptive might be what you need.  If its something the heroes are are going to be shouting at each other as shit meets fan, it might be more important for it to sound good and role of the tongue.  You may even what to have two terms to work with, one for the reality phenomenon (say Paradigm Flux) and then another for the collateral damage side of the effect (say FluxQuake).

And what is the effect of this spewing of magical stuff.  is it purely an energy discharge? do elves and vampires show up on the street?  Is it sort of a reality revision, where what was is now something else (mounted cops horse turns into a unicorn or some such)?  Just trying to get the  feel of the thing

Its a backround even in this world. The idea starts out with a break between two of these events where people are out looking for those who have come through the the weak area. All of the regions where these "quakes" happen aren't active at the same time, but on very rare occasions, they are all active at once. The last time, was thirty some odd years ago. Magic and science exist side by side in this world, and example are anti-grav platforms that float over some major cities, one of the secondary characters is a dragon. All manner of creatures are found in the world; sometimes in large populations, some times small populations.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 02:25:22 PM »
In that case Im liking Paradigm Flux

Paradigm -->a philosophical and theoretical framework of a scientific school or discipline within which theories, laws, and generalizations and the experiments performed in support of them are formulated; broadly : a philosophical or theoretical framework of any kind
and
Flux --> the rate of transfer of fluid, particles, or energy across a given surface

Seems to fit pretty well, and I think it has a certain ring to it  ;D
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 03:41:27 AM »
Thinking of using either the term "Flux Wave" or "Shudder Storm".

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 04:11:28 AM »
I vote for "Flux Wave".   Paradigm is overdone in the business world at the moment.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 06:49:35 PM »
"Hello, little paradigm... "
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

comprex

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 07:00:25 PM »
Thinking of using either the term "Flux Wave" or "Shudder Storm".

Seizures?
(What's bigger than Grand?) Mal events?

Hey, neurovore, I just bought this really fancy set of tires, they can stop and turn on...