Author Topic: Q for EvilHat, or those who follow the company/numbers, etc  (Read 969 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Q for EvilHat, or those who follow the company/numbers, etc
« on: February 09, 2024, 10:52:06 PM »
Elseforum, I have seen it suggested that EH only ever intended to publish a few books (like, the 3 they *did* publish; then DFAccelerated (dunno if the "Accelerated" line was on their radar, at the time they were producing the OW/YS original DFRPG duology) and then stop the DFRPG line.

Does anyone know if this is correct, and if so why??!?  Apparently, it was being very successful for them, among their best-selling games; there doesn't seem like an obvious market reason to drop a successful line!

At the least, it seems like another RPG volume per every 4-5 novels might see a pretty good market...

But I am neither Evil Hat, nor Jim Butcher; and there may be considerations that escape me.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 10:57:53 PM by g33k »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Q for EvilHat, or those who follow the company/numbers, etc
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 08:41:32 PM »
I don't know for sure, but I blame Fate Core. It was a big success, and it's just different enough from DFRPG to be incompatible.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 11:49:12 PM »
I don't know for sure, but I blame Fate Core. It was a big success, and it's just different enough from DFRPG to be incompatible.

But that doesn't preclude them from publishing another DFRPG book; nothing requires them to adhere to any particular ruleset; the existence of Fate Core doesn't prevent Fate Accelerated, and vice versa, so DFRPG seems perfectly valid & viable (noting also that EH is doing other, entirely-non-Fate RPG's).  And if (as I am given to understand) the DFRPG volumes sold exceptionally well for them, it seems like a simple business decision.

Maybe the 3rd volume didn't sell as well as the 1st two, making a 4th less-tempting?
Maybe Jim and/or Fred changed their minds about it?

Honestly puzzled!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 06:57:41 AM »
Thing is, manpower's limited. If your people are writing Fate Core books - and there are a lot of Fate Core books - they aren't writing DFRPG books.

Offline Braincandy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 05:09:47 AM »
I personally would love to see some other company take a go at it. I loved the way the books were made, the margin notes alone were worth it, the game system itself was questionable and I never thought it fit the world of Dresden well. Now, after seeing Evil Hat's take on Tomb Raider, I really don't want to see them messing with Dresden.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 11:28:25 PM »
I think they did a great job with Fate, personally.

Not familiar with Tomb Raider, though. What's wrong with the tabletop version?