Author Topic: Grim Vision of Things to Come  (Read 5365 times)

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Grim Vision of Things to Come
« on: January 10, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »
So I love to write.  It's my ultimate passion.  Like many of you, I'm sure, I feel that writing is what I am supposed to do, my function in life is to write.  Whether or not the stuff is good remains to be seen...  Anyway, the only time I'm truly comfortable in my own skin is when I'm eyeball deep in a story, running my characters through hell and typing my fingers to the bone.  I will always write, as many of you have also said, because it's what I love to do whether I ever become a professional author or not.

That being said, I ask you this....

Does anyone else ever have that moment of dawning realization and horror in which you just know that you will never become a professional writer?

It happens to me a lot, especially when real life gets in the way of my writing.  It's all fine and dandy if I keep the goal in my head and just write toward it, but when I actually start to think in terms of reality, and take into consideration the kind of routine I keep, I get that sinking feeling and my skin starts to tingle and I think "Who am I kidding.  I'm never going to get published," and it's like the most potent sensation ever.  It's like the world stops turning or something, because at that moment, when I slip into that frame of mind, I know it's true beyond a doubt; I will never be a professional writer.

It's extremely depressing, and I was wondering if anyone else experienced this, and if so, what things can be done to keep the howling of this dark hound silenced.

Thanks everyone
BLG
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Vision of Things to Come
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 03:43:24 PM »
I believe one should write to share your stories with the world, though it's definately a plus if some professional publishers can recognize your talent and reward you for it, as it were. If all else goes awry, there's always creating a blog for your writing and putting a PayPal "tipjar" of sorts on it, which I've seen some people do.

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:43:54 PM »
This sort of mood hits every writer at some point. I'd say it goes beyond writers...anyone with a big dream is going to feel this way. And writing, especially with a professional career in mind, is a big dream. The odds are stacked. It takes a ton of work, and even if you plug away at it your entire life, nothing is guaranteed. I've even gotten to the point of having an agent, and then got sent back to square one when that agent left their agency for personal reasons. That can feel wprse than never having an agent at all. How long will it take, you wonder. How much do I have to improve? Why does publishing have to be so subjective, when I see the "crap" that gets published while my amazingly genius story flounders in rejection after rejection?

Yes, it's disheartening. But a dream wouldn't be so bright unless it contrasted with a few shadows every so often. To abuse a cliche...there may be light at the end of the tunnel, but no one said that tunnel wouldn't be a few light years long, and you have to walk the whole way.

A lot of people feel this way.

Some give up when they get to this point.

Some don't.

Those who do will never get published, whether they loving writing or not.

Those who don't...there's still no guarantee that they'll get published, but at least they're still trying, and it is that perseverance that makes all the difference.

I believe, from my own experience and what I hear of others', that the dark hound keeps panting at your heels your whole life. Sorry, but it's true. The howling may change its tune. Those who get published may start believing they're hacks, or don't have a second story worth telling. Maybe you get an agent, but the story doesn't get a contract for a few years. That's a long time to put up with the howling, but if you learn to ignore it now (and ignoring it, I claim, is really the only cure) then you'll be better prepared for those future bouts of self-confidence. You will always have doubts and demons whispering on your shoulders, but whether you listen to them or not is up to you. Just like whether you actually sit down and write the story is up to you. Action makes up the difference between wanting to write and writing, and wanting to get published and getting published. If it's never taken, it'll never happen, no matter how good you are or how much you enjoy it.
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 04:47:11 PM »
Drat, I was hoping this thread was going to be about H.G. Wells' Things to Come.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 05:40:36 PM »
I believe, from my own experience and what I hear of others', that the dark hound keeps panting at your heels your whole life. Sorry, but it's true. The howling may change its tune.

Yeah, I know the hound will always be there.  I can deal with its howling.  My passion for storytelling, for creating, keeps me above the bastard's persistant heckeling.  What hits me like a spear in the ribs is when the hound gets militant, and actually attacks, digs its teeth and claws in and tries with a very real conviction to drag me down and rip me to shreds.

I've never wanted to be anything but a writer.  Since the time I could pick up a pencil and make words, I have been writing stories.  Failing as a writer is my ultimate fear, and the fear of failing is my ultimate weakness. 

Maybe I just need to vent my concerns to get over this bump I'm experiencing at the moment.  So, please bear with me, and skip the next few paragraphs if you wish:

I'm in the final scenes of my WIP, my first official novel, 300+ pages into it...and it's the hardest part of the book I've written so far.  I find it extremely difficult to get to the keyboard and write.  I know that's the hardest part of writing, but I can normally overcome that.  Usually as soon as I open the laptop and pop the chapter up I start to get "in the zone" and all previous apprehension fades away. 

However, I have lost all but a guttering flame of motivation for this project, and writing in general.  I can't figure out why.

I have one suspicion; that i'm beginning to come down with a case of depression, due to many contributing factors.  Now, I live by the philosophy of "Life sucks, deal with it."  I believe counseling is helpful to those who really need it, but personally, I feel like admitting that I need counseling is a defeat.  I wasn't raised that way...it's hard for me to lay down and admit weakness.

I think the catalyst for this possible depression is the death of my younger cousin last November.  It's been a gradual thing, but now that I look back, I realize I've slowly been sinking into this rut.  Not just with writing, but with every aspect of my life.  Lately I can't seem to find the point in doing anything, from coming to work, to fixing my car, to cleaning my house...anything.  I think it started small when Chris died, small and disguised as regular grief, and snowballed into something else to the point where I'm not sure how to get myself out from under its influence.

Perhaps that is what is happening.  I just need to pinpoint what I need to do to alleviate the pressure, so I can sit down and write again.  Writing always lifts my spirits. 

Okay, I'm done ranting for now.

BLG 
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 07:28:17 PM »
Maybe I just need to vent my concerns to get over this bump I'm experiencing at the moment.  So, please bear with me, and skip the next few paragraphs if you wish:

I wish you luck in finding solutions and getting past this.

Now, I live by the philosophy of "Life sucks, deal with it."  I believe counseling is helpful to those who really need it, but personally, I feel like admitting that I need counseling is a defeat.  I wasn't raised that way...it's hard for me to lay down and admit weakness.

I know the feeling. fwiw, one of the simple little things that helped me get to the point of finding appropriate sorts of help in a somewhat similar situation was reminding myself that perfection's not a human thing, so stop expecting it of myself.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Craz

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Superheroes and Sorcerors
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 07:48:06 PM »
Well, I really contemplated that I would never become a professional writer, but a beacon of hope came when my own mother actually got a book deal (non-fiction, but still, it was a two-book deal!), and I'm inspired.
J.A.H., author.

Check out Superheroes and Sorcerors, my blog and archive at http://justenhunter.com !

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 02:58:31 AM »
Wow.  I can't imagine my parents doing something awesome like that.  Well, my dad is trying to become a pro musician, but still...I would drop a load in my pants I think if it happened.

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 02:22:10 PM »
Funny thing, Craz. My mother also managed to get published this last year, also nonfiction. There's that advice saying to never show your work to family members, especially the mother, because they won't give good editing advice, right? Wrong. Any page sent to her comes back streaked with red.
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 04:31:29 PM »
uhhh, you're 25?  Can great fiction come from someone who has their whole life ahead of them? Okay, really didn't mean that--but you are so young, you've got lots of time--do what you do and improve on it, work on it, learn about your craft.  That is writing.   Wait, did you specifically mean published?  That begs a deeper question, can only people who publish be considered a writer? I don't think so, IMHO.  Personally I'm so pleased that Mom age people are getting published, gives one hope.  :D

Two edged sword.  People who are satisfied, are happy.  People who are dis-satisfied, are unhappy.  People who are satisified--rarely get ahead or published, IMHO. 

Keep on writing!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Suilan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 02:03:35 PM »
*post removed*
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 06:58:10 PM by Suilan »
Style and structure are the essence of a book; great ideas are hogwash. -- Vladimir Nabokov

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. Everything that can be said can be said clearly. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 06:58:21 AM »
Yeah I know I'm young.  But I don't even have a book finished yet.  It's not that I'm upset that I"m not published at this point (though that would be pretty awesome), it's that I feel like I'm getting under the thumb of the real world.  My job (TV producer) doesn't pay enough, so I have to spend my "free" time doing outside work, which whittles away my time for writing.  And no, just because someone is in TV doesn't mean they shit in a gold plated toilet. 

I make as much producing TV commercials as I made - before I spent 20 grand on a college degree, mind you - washing dishes at applebees.  Yeah yeah, you have to start someplace...but it's getting really old.  I'm glad I finished college and am a professional videographer now...but isn't the college degree supposed to automatically get you more money?  That's what everyone says when you're in high school deciding whether or not to continue your education.

I mean, it's not like I'm ever going to give up writing.  I just wondered if there was some sort of mantra or exercise I could do to deal with those panicky moments when I start thinking in too much about the reality of my situation.

Offline Suilan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 02:28:34 PM »
*post removed*
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 06:56:31 PM by Suilan »
Style and structure are the essence of a book; great ideas are hogwash. -- Vladimir Nabokov

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. Everything that can be said can be said clearly. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Offline Suilan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 04:00:24 PM »
*post removed*
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 06:55:59 PM by Suilan »

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 07:16:57 PM »
It took most of the writers I know who are successful as many years as you are old to get the opportunity to share their work with the public. It's a bit early to throw in the towel, IMO.  ;)
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl