Author Topic: WoJ grammar; OK, I'm a Grammar Nazi  (Read 580 times)

Offline RedSnertz

• Lurker
    • View Profile
WoJ grammar; OK, I'm a Grammar Nazi
« on: June 02, 2024, 09:55:22 PM »
Regarding Thomas and Justine, I find it REALLY hard to believe that Jim would repeatedly make this grammar error;

"Their actually happier now than they’ve been in ever."
"But when they are alone together, nothing else going on, their like totally cute."
"They don’t have like a normal relationship or anything like one, but they’ve kinda adjusted, their fairly happy."

Perhaps I'm wrong.  Here's the specific link for the interested.

https://wordof.jim-butcher.com/index.php/word-of-jim-woj-compilation/woj-on-harrys-family/

edit - It's hard to overstate how very, very much I hate the 'guess the letters obscured by various methods' game.  I'm 62, my eyes aren't all that good, and it's a complete pain in the ass.  Please stop it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 10:02:48 PM by RedSnertz »

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: WoJ grammar; OK, I'm a Grammar Nazi
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2024, 09:06:30 PM »
It was not Jim who wrote that. It was Jim who talked and someone else wrote down what he said.

But honestly, I notice those kinds of mistakes too, but I would never call someone out because of it.
So what, some person who isn't even getting paid for it, puts a lot of work into transcribing what another person said (supposedly without any beta reader) and puts it in order on a website.
Who am I to complain about some minor grammar mistakes.

If it was a novel I have paid for and if those mistakes were extremely frequent, I would complain, because I expect a certain level of quality in a product I buy. But this? Never.

It's not even hard to understand for me and I am no native speaker.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 09:08:15 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: WoJ grammar; OK, I'm a Grammar Nazi
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 03:10:22 AM »
I agree. If those mistakes where in the books, I will be quite annoyed. But in a website? Like this one, for example? I understand and I am not complaining. And also, I am not a native speaker either and I know I do a lot of mistakes. So, glass houses and all that  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)