Author Topic: Toot toot says he remembers....  (Read 293 times)

Offline OutsideIn

• Participant
    • View Profile
Toot toot says he remembers....
« on: April 17, 2024, 10:16:04 PM »
The folk before the Harry's people...who was he referring to...Storm Front....toot toot trails off eating bread and honey...throw away context or relevant?

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: Toot toot says he remembers....
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 02:53:38 AM »
I assumed Toot was talking about Native Americans. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:46:47 PM »
I assumed Toot was talking about Native Americans.

Possible; I don't think we have enough info.  It's also possible he means an "old country" reference -- the pixies are a very Euro/Brit sort of fae (not New-World) so he might have been talking about the Celts before the Anglo-Saxons, or the Picts before them, and so on back in time.

He also may have been making a more mythological reference -- maybe to the Tuatha de Danann or the like?

Or, on the Native American theme, to some of the mythical early-human / pre-human peoples of the new world.

Again:  I don't think we have enough info.  It'd make an interesting WoJ question at a signing or AMA event!

And, to return to the OP:
... throw away context or relevant?

Yet again, I chant the refrain:  I don't think we have enough info.
 ;)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:45:11 AM »

I found the quote from Storm Front, page 65 hardback... The context is Harry has trapped Toot in a circle and Toot threatens if he doesn't turn him loose he will tell the Queen, presumably Mab, but at that point he could have been working for Titania.  Harry says he isn't afraid, Toot says he should at least pretend to be.. Then Harry replies that he doesn't have the time to be afraid.  That's when Toot goes into his tirade about time and people living now..  So here is what is said;
page 65 Storm Front
"Time,time," Toot complained.  "Is that all you mortals can ever think about?  Everyone's complaining about time!  The whole city rushes left and right screaming about being late and honking horns! You people used to have it right, you know."
I bore the lecture with good nature.  Toot could never keep his mind on the same subject long enough to be really trying in any case.
"Why, I remember the folk who lived here before you pale, wheesy guys came in,  And they never complained about ulcers or--" Toot's eyes wandered to the bread and honey again and glinted.

From the above I think it is pretty safe to assume that Toot was ranting about modern times and the people who live in modern times.. He was also talking about the native peoples that lived on the continent before Europeans arrived. I think it was a throw away rant in a lot of ways, but it also gives us some insight into who Toot is.  In other words he might be tiny, but by his own lights he isn't stupid and should never be underestimated.  This in many ways sets the tone between Harry and the Wee Folk, Harry understands and respects those facts about them, thus is able to work with them and gain their loyalty where others have not.