Author Topic: Bonnea goes from zero to sixty  (Read 400 times)

Offline OutsideIn

• Participant
    • View Profile
Bonnea goes from zero to sixty
« on: April 10, 2024, 01:09:21 AM »
She matures "overnight" in coming books..

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Bonnea goes from zero to sixty
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 10:51:47 AM »
Why do you think so?

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2024, 07:09:47 PM »
Even though I didn't write the OP, I will say why I think it there is a good chance it will turn out to be correct.

IMO, Harry doesn't have a clue how to raise his spirit child or maybe only one clue.  Maggie can have more or less normal conversations with Bonnea because she is a child.  She doesn't see anything unusual about interacting with a talking skull because Maggie doesn't have a frame of reference to inform her what Bonnea really is and how different Bonnea is from a mortal like herself.  So Maggie treats Bonnea like a friend or younger sibling she's looking out for.  Harry knows what Bonnea is and treats her with kid gloves.  Near the beginning of Peace Talks Harry says that Bonea, "is someone to be carefully managed."

Managed, not raised.  I suspect there is a problem with that single minded kind of thinking.  I think Bonnea will need guidance; in some respects, just like any other child, but not exactly because she isn't a mortal and her potential for doing harm is so much greater.  We all know Bonnea isn't a ticking bomb, she's wet dynamite.  With the innate knowledge of a wizard and a fallen angel at her disposal and with the added difficulty Harry will have teaching a spirit of intellect about ethics and morality; if someone, something or a dangerous situation gives Bonnea the right push or wrong push at the right moment, things may go boom!

Harry probably wants to keep Bob as far away from Bonnea as possible, because Bob would want to help Bonnea and that could be extremely dangerous.  However, my guess is Harry needs Bob's help.  Harry needs to understand what it's like to be a child who is also a spirit of intellect, to help him make better decisions raising Bonnea.  Bob's involvement will accelerate Bonnea's growth and when the right or wrong situation pops up to push Bonnea even further, she could go from zero to sixty.

P.S. At some point in the near future, Harry might need Bonnea to go from zero to sixty.  Ignoring theoretical political alliances Harry might make in the future, without becoming an immortal himself or learning some powerful new magical techniques, it's difficult for me seeing Harry becoming much stronger or a more potent force than he already is.  Bonnea's knowledge could be a real difference maker for Harry.  Bonnea herself almost certainly has the potential to be more powerful than Bob or Bob's blue counterpart, evil Bob.  If this doesn't happen in the next few books, I think it almost certainly will in the BAT.   

« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 07:18:04 PM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2024, 08:10:52 PM »
Bonnie is pure knowledge, in order to age as such, she'd need to get it the same way any younger 'old soul' does, through understanding borne of experience..
I mean, kravos got a bit of dresdens understanding and went after Michael's family.
Imagine she has a bit more complete an education..

Offline Dr.Blood

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 09:27:31 PM »
Back your statement up.  Maybe she does.  But why do you think so?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 01:35:43 PM »

I think of Bonnie as a child prodigy, while her intellect might get her into MIT at the age of six, her experience and maturity levels are still that of a six year old.  Bob is the only thing "close" to what she is physically that she can relate to, but Bob isn't the best role modal.  Harry is going to have to do a lot of out of the box thinking on this one I think.  Also at this point we don't know if Bonnie has any physical limitations, as in it is said that Uriel could take out a whole galaxy if he wanted to, but won't because of the rules set down for angels.  Bonnie's mom was one of the angels that rebelled against those rules..

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 04:32:53 PM »
She matures "overnight" in coming books..

That seems extraordinarily-unlikely:  she has a huge amount of raw data, uncorrelated and largely without real-world references.  Getting it all organized, and making it RW-relevant, is just going to take time.

We've seen that Bob -- even though he has multiple centuries of experience --  sometimes still has problems with the sheer volume of information.

It's always possible that Jim could decide that the story needs Bonnie to make some dramatic strides in this direction, of course; and then he'll write it that way, applying whatever handwavium suits him.