Author Topic: Mab Roade with the conquerer  (Read 542 times)

Offline OutsideIn

• Participant
    • View Profile
Mab Roade with the conquerer
« on: April 01, 2024, 07:18:01 AM »
Comments made by king corb...

Meaning Merlin?

Anymore context?

Offline Mar10

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Mab Roade with the conquerer
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 03:37:37 PM »
In my mind, the only logical answer would be William.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 11:10:33 PM »
+1 for William the Conqueror.

Also note:  that's William, Duke of Normandy (i.e. France);
and a huge amount of the King Arthur legendarium comes from France.

If "Mab" rode with William, she may have originally been a French girl.

Although William is centuries post-Arthur... but Merlin could certainly have survived (indeed, with his known 5-ply time prison element of the Demonreach enchantment, he was certainly active well-after the time of William)

Not sure if any of this is precisely meaningful -- vis-a-vis the Dresden Files and our various guesses & prognostications as to how things will go -- but it's interesting grist for our mills!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 12:36:48 PM »
+1 for William the Conqueror.

Also note:  that's William, Duke of Normandy (i.e. France);
and a huge amount of the King Arthur legendarium comes from France.

If "Mab" rode with William, she may have originally been a French girl.

Although William is centuries post-Arthur... but Merlin could certainly have survived (indeed, with his known 5-ply time prison element of the Demonreach enchantment, he was certainly active well-after the time of William)

Not sure if any of this is precisely meaningful -- vis-a-vis the Dresden Files and our various guesses & prognostications as to how things will go -- but it's interesting grist for our mills!

It's possible on Merlin, but if you go by mythology, Merlin had long been asleep by that time. 

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 02:59:30 PM »
It's possible on Merlin, but if you go by mythology, Merlin had long been asleep by that time. 
But Merlin was a wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey sort of wizard.

Just because he was sent into an enchanted sleep in the 400's-600's(ish), that doesn't mean (in his own personal back-and-forth-through-time lifespan) he hadn't already marched with William, and visited other future times as well (possibly even to the yet-unwritten future of the DF timeline).

Before-and-after, for Merlin, is virtually impossible to determine from our information.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 10:47:19 AM »
Mab and Titania hadn't talked since Hastings in 1066.

So yeah that suggest William the Conquerer.

Other than the brief interaction with her at the end of BG.

Offline Tinfoil hat

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 06:58:46 PM »
In Old British law forvever meant before 1066. Like from a legal definition. Just wanted to share that bit of useless information. Thanks

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2024, 05:04:41 AM »
Before-and-after, for Merlin, is virtually impossible to determine from our information.
it also occurs to me that we don't know if the original merlin... was originally named Merlin. Could be a late game identity (I've always thought so, mostly because I became a role)
Just linearly,  he could have passed time in the NN.. do we know when the white council was actually created? I can't remember any hard evidence other than when Edinburgh was won, is anything before that simply conjecture based on the age of the oldest known wizard ie gatekeeper?

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2024, 07:52:02 PM »
... do we know when the white council was actually created? I can't remember any hard evidence other than when Edinburgh was won...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODOhEdiFwW0&t=1733s
"The origins of the WC were pretty nebulous... they were an advisory board to the Roman Senate for a long time"
But then Merlin reorganized them after the fall of Rome, for fear the powerful wizards (now ambitious independents) would war among themselves.

"for a long time" isn't terribly precise.  We don't know if they coalesced after Rome demonstrated its hegemony in the region, or were an older group that attached itself to Rome, or were part of the founding (which would firmly place them around 750BC(ish))... q.v. "nebulous."

Similarly, "fall of Rome" is pretty indeterminate... a long slide from about 375AD to 475AD; so there's at least a century where Merlin might have reorganized the old Roman group into the new White Council (and whether that took just a year or two, or decades, or even a century... also unclear).

No idea if this is something Jim just hasn't decided, or if he's intentionally obscuring something (for a later Big Reveal), or what.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 07:59:17 PM by g33k »