Author Topic: Gatekeeper  (Read 775 times)

Offline cander891

• Participant
    • View Profile
Gatekeeper
« on: February 20, 2024, 03:08:33 PM »
This might be an unimportant detail but its stuck in my head.

How long has Rashid been the Gatekeeper and who did he replace?

Maybe it doesn't matter.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Gatekeeper
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 12:29:06 PM »

Unless there is a WOJ out there where he says when and how long, I don't recall anything in the books and short stories anyway
that say.  As to whether it matters or not, we will have to see. 

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 12:05:20 AM »
This might be an unimportant detail but its stuck in my head.

Maybe it doesn't matter.

I think we have WoJ that wizards can live 400 years or more... unless they go around giving lip to faerie queens, murdering the queens' daughters, leading frontal assaults on a major supernatural strongholds, etc.

McCoy & Langtry were young-ish (Dresden-age, roughly) wizards around 1760.  We don't know just how "ancient" Ancient Mai is, but she appears older than them.  We also don't know if all wizards age at the same rate, maybe some "kinds" of magic are better at keeping them young.

I believe Rashid is the oldest WC wizard, and I suspect that comes from spending so long in extreme time-dilation at the Outer Gates & other deep-Nevernever regions.

We know Rashid was already incredibly-powerful c. 700AD, taking down a Kemmler-caliber black wizard; I cannot imagine he was not already at least 300ish years old at that point, to be that powerful.

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 12:35:12 AM »

I'd say there is a chance (although a small one) that Rashid has been the Gatekeeper since the faeries took over control of the Gates. I say a small chance because that would make Rashid VERY old and while I agree he is the oldest wizard we know of he may not be that old. Secondly, Mab has both respect and trust in Rashid, this would have taken time to build up. Mab wouldn't trust just anyone as the Gatekeeper I'd bet Rashid did something (probably many things) to build up trust. As for previous Gatekeepers, I'd say anyone from mythology with special vision (one eye or otherwise notable vision) for this reason I'd guess Heimdall.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 12:02:58 AM »
I'd say there is a chance (although a small one) that Rashid has been the Gatekeeper since the faeries took over control of the Gates. I say a small chance because that would make Rashid VERY old and while I agree he is the oldest wizard we know of he may not be that old...
Actually, the chances seem good, to me.

As mentioned, WoJ places Rashid operating -- as a very powerful wizard -- around 700AD.

IIRC, the Norse Gods were replaced by the Winterfae on the Outer Gates around 1000AD.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 01:31:36 PM »
Actually, the chances seem good, to me.

As mentioned, WoJ places Rashid operating -- as a very powerful wizard -- around 700AD.

IIRC, the Norse Gods were replaced by the Winterfae on the Outer Gates around 1000AD.

I also think it is very hard to guess what Rashid's real age is, remember he spends 90% or more of his time at the Gates in the Nevernever, time works differently there.  So it is possible that while he might be close to 2,000 years old hypothetically, because he has spent most of those years in the Nevernever, his age appears to be or close to Eb's age..   

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 08:03:55 PM »
I also think it is very hard to guess what Rashid's real age is, remember he spends 90% or more of his time at the Gates in the Nevernever, time works differently there ...
That's my point, yes:
I believe Rashid is the oldest WC wizard, and I suspect that comes from spending so long in extreme time-dilation at the Outer Gates & other deep-Nevernever regions.
I don't know that he spends "90%" (or any other specific number) of his time at the Outer Gates (afaik this isn't something that's ever been specified), but it's certainly a lot of his time... enough to hugely-extend the elapsed mortal-world time since his birth, without actually "aging" him.

But Rashid is at least 1300-ish years old, in terms of mortal-world-years-since-birth, per WoJ.  And I think (I'd have to go delving to be sure) we also have WoJ that wizards' lifespan is normally 400ish years.  That's a pretty notable discrepancy, whether taken as absolute years or as a multiplier.

... because he has spent most of those years in the Nevernever, his age appears to be or close to Eb's age..   
I think wizards go through a huge long plateau of general good health & fitness with very slow "apparent" aging, that begins in their mid/late 20's and lasts for around 300-350 years; then, when they finally begin to look "old" (apparent age 65ish?) they begin to age less-slowly (though still not fast) for another 50ish years.

AFAIK, there is no WoJ as to whether some kinds of magic (e.g. water-magic, which is related to healing), or an individual wizard's particular power (e.g. Harry is very-strong) get more of this benefit (whether "younger looks" or more actual years, etc) than others do.

I strongly suspect that two wizards' relative "apparent ages" are a very-poor way to figure out which is actually the elder of the two.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 09:12:34 PM by g33k »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 10:03:53 PM »
I strongly suspect that two wizards' relative "apparent ages" are a very-poor way to figure out which is actually the elder of the two.

When I said that I wasn't thinking in those terms.. I used Eb as an example because we all have a pretty good idea of his age, as in 300 or so years.  Given the time Rashid has spent in the Nevernever compared to the "real world" time, since he is obviously a mature wizard, not a young one or even middle aged one, I compared his age to be approximately that of Eb i.e. 300 to 350 real world years..  I wasn't in any way judging who was the older or younger of the two.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 03:36:20 PM by Mira »

Offline Tinfoil hat

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 01:00:39 PM »
I always assumed that the Gatekeeper was chronologically 1300yrs or older due to the WOJ that he killed the mad Arab. But his true age is around 300 ish. Maybe the dues of the Gatekeeper keep him away from the real world enough to slow his aging. Cant remember the book but i think its turn coat or proven guilty were Harry remarks that the only person who attends less WC meetings than him is the Gatekeeper

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 03:40:00 PM »
I always assumed that the Gatekeeper was chronologically 1300yrs or older due to the WOJ that he killed the mad Arab. But his true age is around 300 ish. Maybe the dues of the Gatekeeper keep him away from the real world enough to slow his aging. Cant remember the book but i think its turn coat or proven guilty were Harry remarks that the only person who attends less WC meetings than him is the Gatekeeper

I think you meant Rashid's true age is 1300 or so years, but his body has only aged around 300 or so years because of all the time he spent in the Nevernever.  I believe that was also an issue for Margaret, Harry's mother, she appeared a lot younger than her actual years because of all the time she spent in the Nevernever.   

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 07:43:10 AM »
I think you meant Rashid's true age is 1300 or so years, but his body has only aged around 300 or so years because of all the time he spent in the Nevernever.  I believe that was also an issue for Margaret, Harry's mother, she appeared a lot younger than her actual years because of all the time she spent in the Nevernever.   

Heavily implied given the WOJ's on Rashid.

Also given Margaret le Fey was around 100 years old chronologically when she gave birth to Thomas and Harry. When physically they're supposed to age normally until they're in their 50s.

Offline OutsideIn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 08:18:39 AM »
I don't think gatekeepers have a long shelf life... desert fox for a reason...dudes been doing it a long while