Author Topic: So… Bob’s a Castle now?  (Read 663 times)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
So… Bob’s a Castle now?
« on: January 06, 2024, 11:34:36 PM »
I recently read the Toot/Lacuna story.  Is Castle Dresden now Bob’s new vessel? 
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: So… Bob’s a Castle now?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 02:33:53 AM »
He still has the skull, but having Bob run the castle saves Harry lots of time. Bob can figure out how the house works and let Harry know of things that need his attention. This is especially important because Harry is deep in his post Battle Ground funk.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 08:44:34 PM »
He still has the skull, but having Bob run the castle saves Harry lots of time. Bob can figure out how the house works and let Harry know of things that need his attention. This is especially important because Harry is deep in his post Battle Ground funk.

Sure.  But is the Castle itself a safe vessel for Bob.  In GS Harry mentioned he thought the sub-basement might have worked as such.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 01:24:38 AM »
The answer is, we don't know. As long as the skull is in the castle, he should only be unattached from the castle for a few seconds before and after dawn at most.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 01:50:28 PM »

I don't know if there really is a "safe" vessel for Bob.  The skull is his home, possession of it supposedly gives the holder of it some authority over the spirit that is known as Bob.  However what happens if the skull is destroyed?  Can the skull be destroyed?  Bob has romped about on missions before riding Mister on Harry's behalf, also gotten into trouble because he was free to roam.  Mister isn't a vessel yet presumably Bob was safe as long as he came home before dawn.  At the moment Bob is given freedom of the castle because Harry is still trying to understand it's wards, but I don't think it makes it home for Bob, the skull is still his home.