Author Topic: Who called up the Cornerhounds?  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Xamion

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Who called up the Cornerhounds?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2023, 01:04:36 PM »
  Does that not mean that his or her free will was screwed with?  Harry chose to suicide based on the lies that Lasciel whispered in his ear.  Because he made his free choice based on her lies, Uriel was allowed to step in because since his choice was based on lies, it really wasn't a free choice.  I know, this stuff gives me a headache too... ???
No, actually, that one's easy. It's not the "his choice was based on a lie" that matters, it is "who told him the lie upon which he acted" that does. As long as the choice is made due to a Fallen's direct manipulation/involvement, Uriel gets to interfere (to the same extent as the Fallen did), due to the White God's stipulations. If Mab had told him the same thing Lasciel did, and Harry acted upon that the same way, Uriel wouldn't be able to do anything to stop it.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2023, 02:21:21 PM »
No, actually, that one's easy. It's not the "his choice was based on a lie" that matters, it is "who told him the lie upon which he acted" that does. As long as the choice is made due to a Fallen's direct manipulation/involvement, Uriel gets to interfere (to the same extent as the Fallen did), due to the White God's stipulations. If Mab had told him the same thing Lasciel did, and Harry acted upon that the same way, Uriel wouldn't be able to do anything to stop it.

I'm not so sure about that, though she may not be quite on par with an angel, fallen or arch, she is pretty powerful.  And actually she did lie to Harry, which also contributed to his decision to suicide.
That's why Uriel's seven words were so important because they changed Harry's perception of what he could and couldn't do as Winter Knight.  Lasciel may have tipped the balance by telling Harry everything was his fault, but a big factor in his decision was his fear of becoming Mab's monster, another Slate.  Harry actually thought that being Mab's Winter Knight meant that he'd given up his right to make choices.  It was a sacrifice he was willing to make because he wanted to save Maggie, but he didn't want to become a monster either, so he suicided. Uriel's seven words told him that Mab was lying, he still has free will or choices.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2023, 07:21:00 PM »
... Does that not mean that his or her free will was screwed with?  Harry chose to suicide based on the lies that Lasciel whispered in his ear...
The Fallen did not merely tell a lie.

Specifically, the Fallen told a devastatingly-effective lie, using a time calculated to be a moment profound weakness and a specific piece of self-criticism Harry regularly tells himself; and they did so on consecrated ground, where the victim could reasonably expect to be free from malign spirits.

It is (as Uriel points out) the kind of lie, and a delivery of the lie, that only a Fallen Angel could have managed; and even Fallen, the angelic beings are "held to a higher standard."

Uriel, in turn, does exactly the same, in reverse:  he tells the truth (in seven words); he tells it at a moment when Harry profoundly needed some encouragement, at a moment when he thought he was on his own (laying in the depths of Demonreach, in the lap of the Queen of Wicked Faeries... in other words, far beyond even the remote chance of outside help).

... Yet she told him a whole boat load of lies when he went to see her in the apartment didn't she ...
I don't think Justine told any lies, no.  That was Nemesis speaking, still hiding behind the mask, still pretending to be Justine.

... I think it happened on the island when Maeve got killed at the end of Cold Days ...
I suppose it can't be ruled out, but I doubt it.

... If the Winter Lady Mantle can jump to the nearest vessel as it did into Molly, why can't the Neminfection?
The Mantles are part of Creation, they are supposed to work that way.
Nemesis is from Outside; it isn't supposed to exist at all; and it certainly should not easily slip inside someone.  Nemesis, I think, needs some degree of initial buy-in; it needs someone to act ambitiously, or fearfully, or otherwise open some channel for moral suasion...

Aurora wanted to "end the cycles of needless suffering" and Nemesis offered a way to do that.
Lea wanted more power, likely wanted to become Winter's Queen; and Nemesis offered that power.
Maeve wanted to prove she was better than her mother, smarter; wanted her mother to acknowledge that Maeve was good enough; Maeve thought being able to lie would let her outmaneuver Mab, and Nemesis gave her that ability.

These were Nemesis' routes in, the temptations offered.

I do not believe Nemesis can simply "jump into" anyone without the (prospective) victim accepting some offer, making some choice.  I don't think Justine was given any choice on the island.

I think the critical moment for Justine happened (offscreen) sometime before White Night.  Justine had been psychically damaged, and was unable to be with Thomas.  I think something in the Raith manor/treasury/whatever was a Nemvector, and offered to help Justine rebuild her psyche... to help Thomas and/or to be with him again... and that was the temptation she could not withstand.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 12:45:49 AM by g33k »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2023, 10:52:26 PM »
The Fallen did not merely tell a lie.

Specifically, the Fallen told a devastatingly-effective lie, using a time calculated to be a moment profound weakness and a specific piece of self-criticism Harry regularly tells himself; and they did so on consecrated ground, where the victim could reasonably expect to be free from malign spirits.

It is (as Uriel points out) the kind of lie, and a delivery of the lie, that only a Fallen Angel could have managed; and even Fallen, the angelic beings are "held to a higher standard."

Uriel, in turn, does exactly the same, in reverse:  he tells the truth (in seven words); he tells it at a moment when Harry profoundly needed some encouragement, at a moment when he thought he was on his own (laying in the depths of Demonreach, in the lap of the Queen of Wicked Faeries... in other words, far beyond even the remote chance of outside help).

True, but as you point out, timing is everything!  Uriel could have told the truth at any time, but he waited until Harry learned a valuable lesson, and just when Harry was sinking into depression again because he woke up in Mab's arms and thought he'd have to follow her orders no matter what.. That's when Uriel restored his sense of free will with his seven words, among other things telling him what Mab had told him were lies.  It was the combo of what Lasciel told him, and what he had to chose to do to save little Maggie, he thought he was giving up his free will by becoming Mab's Winter Knight..
I don't think Justine told any lies, no.  That was Nemesis speaking, still hiding behind the mask, still pretending to be Justine.
But that's the point, kind of like Luccio under the influence of Peabody ink, only on steroids! Nemesis may have been behind it, but the lies came out of Justine's mouth.  She most likely couldn't fight it, but until they got to the island Harry didn't know that.  While her actions may not have been her own, what came out of her mouth, and her actions was still her own as far as those who knew and loved her were concerned.  That's why the plan by Nemesis was so clever, it made complete use of the trust of those who loved her had in her.  Of course Justine wanted to visit the island and be near Thomas, that's no lie, but HWWB also wanted on the island for a different reason.
I suppose it can't be ruled out, but I doubt it.

I think it plausible because that would put her in the same area as Nemesis. I doubt that Nemesis would take defeat that easily.  It is just logical that Nemesis would have a plan "B."  It isn't the first time either, when Lea was maneuvered into taking the infected Knife failed because when she felt symptoms she confessed to Mab,  which should have ended the plan... Only Neither Mab nor Lea understood in time that it was the Knife that was infected, thus Maeve who was vulnerable to begin with, became infected beyond curing and Nemesis's plan almost succeeded.. That was foiled, but there was plan "C" waiting in the wings, Justine.. Through her Thomas, Harry were both manipulated, and through them the White Court, White Council, and Winter Court were all pulled in.. And again, it almost succeeded, except Harry finally realized at the last moment on the boat..
The Mantles are part of Creation, they are supposed to work that way.
Nemesis is from Outside; it isn't supposed to exist at all; and it certainly should not easily slip inside someone.  Nemesis, I think, needs some degree of initial buy-in; it needs someone to act ambitiously, or fearfully, or otherwise open some channel for moral suasion...
How do we know that Nemesis isn't supposed to exist?  Who is to say that the Outside isn't a part of Creation, it exists doesn't it?
I do not believe Nemesis can simply "jump into" anyone without the (prospective) victim accepting some offer, making some choice.  I don't think Justine was given any choice on the island.

I don't think in this case "choice" works the way you think it does.  I think Nemesis is much more subtle than that, more like a low grade infection at first, something Justine wouldn't notice. A lot like a shadow of a fallen angel works on the mind of it's host. Remember if it wasn't for Butters, Harry wouldn't have been aware of the Shadow of Lasciel. So subtly whispering first perhaps, a longing for a child, to give Thomas a child, normal feelings, but then escalating to all consuming.. That will drive a person to a lot of things before they realize what is happening.  No, Nemesis never gave Justine a choice, by the time the events of Peace Talks began, she was merely a passenger along for the ride being used as HWWB's mouthpiece and doing it's bidding.
I think the critical moment for Justine happened (offscreen) sometime before White Night.  Justine had been psychically damaged, and was unable to be with Thomas.  I think something in the Wraith manor/treasury/whatever was a Nemvector, and offered to help Justine rebuild her psyche... to help Thomas and/or to be with him again... and that was the temptation she could not withstand.
Maybe, but either way the infection was never overt.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 03:30:07 PM by Mira »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2023, 06:48:05 PM »
... I don't think in this case "choice" works the way you think it does.  I think Nemesis is much more subtle than that, more like a low grade infection at first, something Justine wouldn't notice. A lot like a shadow of a fallen angel works on the mind of it's host ...

Yes, I think the Denarian Shadows are the closest model we have to Nemfection.  Honestly, I doubt that they work identically; but until we have more info, the Shadows seems to be our best working model for Nemfection.

And the Shadows cannot just "appear" in someone's mind.
The target has to decide to pick up one of the Blackened Denarii.

Nicodemus wanted to recruit Harry... desired it reasonably strongly, I think:  he went to a fair amount of effort to arrange the running-water-confinement.  When the initial effort failed, he later tossed one of the Denarii onto a KotC's property (out of his control) (I mean, that's pretty win-win for Nic, Harry or Michael's son (except see below)).

The thing is -- if implanting a Shadow were as casual & easily-done as all that, he just could have duct-taped the Denarius to Harry's back. SkinContactBoomDone.

But Harry -- in Michael's yard -- could (should!) have just stomped his booted foot down on the coin (it's how I (and everyone I know) handles "dropped coin rolling around" ... and a quick move with the feet (sometimes a stomp, sometimes a block) is also how we all handle "small dangerous thing at ground level, near small vulnerable child/pet/etc).  So Nic's gamble with Lasciel's Coin was actually kind of a long-shot:  the odds-on favorite for Harry's move wouldn't have opened him up to the Shadow.

The point here -- with regard to Nemfection, and Nemesis host-hopping -- is that there are lots of signs that it's just not that easy.  If you kill a KotBD, the Fallen within their host cannot just bop into a new host and say, "fetch me my Coin, lackey!"  The (prospective) host has to proactively pick up the Coin.

So, I think Justine had to do something, assent somehow.  Not just be standing in the wrong place at the right time.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2023, 07:31:16 PM »
And the Shadows cannot just "appear" in someone's mind.
The target has to decide to pick up one of the Blackened Denarii.
Yes, picking up the coin is the difference for the Shadow of the Fallen, however I might point out that Nemesis is very careful as to whom it picks as it's targets to infect.  Lea was ambitious and wanted more power, this made her the perfect target for the infected Knife.  However that was a slight miscalculation, Lea while ambitious, wasn't stupid and knows her Queen.. Once she felt the symptoms she confessed to Mab and got put on ice.  Maeve on the other hand had been struggling for years with her place as Lady, had "Mommy" issues, and sibling jealousy, she was totally vulnerable and Nemesis took full advantage.  Not sure what issues Aurora or Catsyth had, not enough is known of either and they were already infected when we first meet them.  Justine on the other hand suffered from mental illness and had powerful connections, easy to see how she'd be a target.  The question becomes, what is the vector for the infection?  The Knife was in the case of Lea and company, but we don't know about the others.
The point here -- with regard to Nemfection, and Nemesis host-hopping -- is that there are lots of signs that it's just not that easy.  If you kill a KotBD, the Fallen within their host cannot just bop into a new host and say, "fetch me my Coin, lackey!"  The (prospective) host has to proactively pick up the Coin.

That I think is a gray area, because when we first meet the Knights of the Cross and Denarians, on or two are killed and their coins released... Harry innocently goes to pick it up and if I remember correctly is stopped by Shiro, who warns Harry not to touch it, then carefully picks it up in a special hanky for lack of a better word.  So I think you can be affected just by touching a coin even if you don't know what it is.  Now it could be the Knights knew that Harry was a  target all along and there for were extra careful about him not coming into contact with one.  On the other hand, touching a coin is how a Shadow of the Fallen is introduced into your mind.. We've seen how it can create havoc with illusions, without a host knowing it.. Who is to say a random pick up is as good as a targeted pick up?
So, I think Justine had to do something, assent somehow.  Not just be standing in the wrong place at the right time.

I don't think it was a matter of her standing in the wrong place at the wrong time.. Or rather it was, but more her being a vulnerable person standing in the wrong place at the wrong time if that makes any sense?  Say you go to a play, the person who bought the ticket next to you happens to have COVID, wrong place, wrong time, but you have decent immunity, vaccinated so don't get sick. Or you go to the play, the person who happens to sit beside you has COVID, you are over weight and have COPD, you catch it and die... In both cases you were sitting in the wrong seat at the wrong time, but in one case you were more vulnerable to infection than the other with very different outcomes. We know that Nemesis isn't just any dumb virus, it carefully selects it's hosts for maximum effect. 

So consider, when Maeve is shot, Nemesis is released from her body, of the beings present, who was most likely mentally and emotionally most vulnerable? Justine.  So I agree that it isn't just a simple matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time to get infected with Nemesis, it can also be true that being in the wrong place at the wrong time with vulnerabilities will get you infected... Both can be true at the same time.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2023, 11:30:30 PM »
... Not sure what issues Aurora or Catsyth had, not enough is known of either and they were already infected when we first meet them ...
As I wrote above:  I think Aurora was tormented by the "cycles of suffering" between Summer/Winter, the constant warfare with humanity suffering not only Summer's cruel heat & stuff like Malaria, Ebola, and the other severe warm-location diseases, but also the rigors of Winter, the cold and the hunger and the hardship &c.

That (I surmise) was Nemesis' "temptation" to her, the way past her defenses... the chance to end the cycles.

It certainly seemed her prime motivation there at the end... so why not just as much Nemesis' "route in" ?

I don't think Cat Sith was nemfected when we met him; there was the scene at the Svartalf compound, where Sith didn't answer when Harry summoned him; that, I think was when he was being turned.

As to how/why:  I think it was being Harry's "batsman," having to obey a mortal that way...  Think about it:
An obedient cat::)
An obedient... malk??!?   :o
The Eldest Malk... obedient to a mortal!!!  (we need... like... a stabby-murder emoji here)

I think the rage and frustration, with no recourse or outlet, was Cat Sith's weakness for Nemesis to exploit.  The chance to Kill Harry Dresden.

... That I think is a gray area, because when we first meet the Knights of the Cross and Denarians, on or two are killed and their coins released... Harry innocently goes to pick it up and if I remember correctly is stopped by Shiro, who warns Harry not to touch it, then carefully picks it up in a special hanky for lack of a better word.  So I think you can be affected just by touching a coin even if you don't know what it is.
Ignorance isn't necessarily any defense, no.  But you have to (at the least) intentionally pick it up.
 Harry was I think *particularly* vulnerable, there in the alleyway with Ursiel's Coin rolling loose:  he is a magus, "one of the wise."  He is supposed to take care, think before he acts.

Grabbing a random magical gewgaw, something associated with a monster so terrible that all three KotC's had gathered to take it down?  That is sheer arrogance... it is Pride, going before a Fall.  Harry Dresden, choosing to pick something up in his own Pride of Power, his "I can deal with this" arrogance.  Oh, yes... Harry was very much at risk, there.

Similarly the KotC's and other clued-in folk -- they have to take great care; because choosing to be careless is enough of a Choice to leave them open to the Fallen within.

... So consider, when Maeve is shot, Nemesis is released from her body, of the beings present, who was most likely mentally and emotionally most vulnerable? Justine.  So I agree that it isn't just a simple matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time to get infected with Nemesis, it can also be true that being in the wrong place at the wrong time with vulnerabilities will get you infected... Both can be true at the same time.

Again, I go back to the Denarian Shadows.  If someone dies with a Shadow inside them, that Shadow also dies; it isn't "released" to find a new host (at least, that's what Lash told Harry; but it also fits with our understanding of what a "shadow" is -- not a genuine entity but an "imprint" in the mind of one specific host -- when the host dies (really dead, not mostly dead) so does the imprint).

I (strongly) suspect that the multiple instances of Nemesis follow that same principle -- if one of their hosts dies, so does that specific instance of Nemesis.

I honestly have no idea if there's a "Real" instance of Nemesis, a singular being who can be killed really dead; or if it's just a bunch of parallel instances each of whom can act as the "full" entity, launching new Nemfections and acting with full power.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2023, 04:29:38 AM »
As I wrote above:  I think Aurora was tormented by the "cycles of suffering" between Summer/Winter, the constant warfare with humanity suffering not only Summer's cruel heat & stuff like Malaria, Ebola, and the other severe warm-location diseases, but also the rigors of Winter, the cold and the hunger and the hardship &c.

She may have been tormented as you say, by those cycles of suffering, but I don't think that was it.  My own opinion now that I think about it, is she didn't like the fact that Winter was top dog in this cycle of power, as in having the main responsibility of guarding the Outer Gates.  Could be wrong there, and Summer Knight deserves yet another reading to get the complexities of Fae Court politics, which have real ramifications as we get deeper into the series.

Ignorance isn't necessarily any defense, no.  But you have to (at the least) intentionally pick it up.
 Harry was I think *particularly* vulnerable, there in the alleyway with Ursiel's Coin rolling loose:  he is a magus, "one of the wise."  He is supposed to take care, think before he acts.
People pay for such "ignorance" every day, sometimes with their life. Wizards are not born wise, wisdom comes from education and experience. Harry's wizardly education is sketchy at best, who and what Denarians are were not one of the subjects that Justin taught, and Eb most likely never touched on that subject.  If Harry knew and understood what a Denarian was he would have avoided if he could that soul gaze that he experienced inadvertently the first time he met one.  That last "experience" underscored his resistance to Lasciel later, he wised up, you might say to what happens if you play games with the Fallen.  However while you can argue that Harry should have known better, an ordinary person such as you and I wouldn't, and if there was something about us that the Fallen felt was worth exploiting, you can bet that shadow would be in our heads tempting away...
Again, I go back to the Denarian Shadows.  If someone dies with a Shadow inside them, that Shadow also dies; it isn't "released" to find a new host (at least, that's what Lash told Harry; but it also fits with our understanding of what a "shadow" is -- not a genuine entity but an "imprint" in the mind of one specific host -- when the host dies (really dead, not mostly dead) so does the imprint).

But the Shadow of one of the Fallen isn't the same as Nemesis.. The Shadow is the psychic energy being of the Fallen trapped in the coin, what the exact nature of Nemesis is, is still unclear.  It has shown itself to act like an infection that can contaminate an object like the Knife and cause insanity, but did Cat Sith, Aurora, and Justine come in contact with an object? It is unlikely they had contact with the Knife.  Speaking of which, at one point I remember Harry spotting that same Knife in Mab's belt.  That's why I don't think she was simply hiding in the ice along side of Lea in Proven Guilty, Mab was taking the cure herself just in case she too was infected.  However back to your original point about ignorance and wizards being one of the wise, how is it that Mab, the thousand year old  Queen of Winter, chief defender of the Outer Gates didn't see until it was too late that it was the Knife that was spreading infection?  One answer, the Knife is an object of power, and power blinds us to a lot of things including danger.  Justine is different from the other infected individuals though, she was actually possessed by an Outsider.. Or that is how it appears.
Grabbing a random magical gewgaw, something associated with a monster so terrible that all three KotC's had gathered to take it down?  That is sheer arrogance... it is Pride, going before a Fall.  Harry Dresden, choosing to pick something up in his own Pride of Power, his "I can deal with this" arrogance.  Oh, yes... Harry was very much at risk, there.

That was the case at Michael's house, I agree, but not when he meets Denarians for the first time, he had no knowledge of the coins or how they worked. 
I honestly have no idea if there's a "Real" instance of Nemesis, a singular being who can be killed really dead; or if it's just a bunch of parallel instances each of whom can act as the "full" entity, launching new Nemfections and acting with full power.

Eventually if Jim ever finishes the series and if you and l live long enough to still be able to read it, we will find out....

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2023, 01:00:55 AM »
I disagree on the timing of when Justine was infected by Nemesis.  If fact, I'm going to start a separate thread on this topic.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2023, 02:42:34 AM »
As to how/why:  I think it was being Harry's "batsman," having to obey a mortal that way...  Think about it:
An obedient cat?  ::)
An obedient... malk??!?   :o
The Eldest Malk... obedient to a mortal!!!  (we need... like... a stabby-murder emoji here)
I wonder if he wasn't already on the list of likely/desired hosts. But I think what Harry did was much worse. A Cat Sith that doesn't immediately kill and accepted the challenge of NOT killing mortals?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2023, 01:44:59 PM »
I wonder if he wasn't already on the list of likely/desired hosts. But I think what Harry did was much worse. A Cat Sith that doesn't immediately kill and accepted the challenge of NOT killing mortals?

Nemesis doesn't have to kill though to be dangerous, Cat Sith didn't have to kill mortals to be dangerous, but he could spy.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2023, 12:00:43 AM »
I wonder if he wasn't already on the list of likely/desired hosts ...
Cat Sith was Eldest Malk; I suspect any/all "Eldest" would be desirable, to Nemesis.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2023, 10:34:57 AM »
Cat Sith was Eldest Malk; I suspect any/all "Eldest" would be desirable, to Nemesis.

Exactly, as a spy if nothing else.