Author Topic: WOJ search for Uriel/Odin deal for Murphy.  (Read 5212 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: WOJ search for Uriel/Odin deal for Murphy.
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2024, 01:32:45 PM »
Come on guys, this "she can't come back as long as mortals remember her" is a thing Jim made up on the spot to avoid having to bring her back immediately (because he clearly was planning to write out his own personal pain of the last years in the next book and you can't have Harry happy for that). And it's in the series of books where Jim himself has said that Harry will have broken all the laws of magic by the end of the series. If Jim wanted Murphy out of the series permanently, he wouldn't have built in this backdoor.

Or he is merely giving himself an option..

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2024, 07:24:26 PM »
Or he is merely giving himself an option..

Given that he had the entire arc of his Dresden books planned out since the first one got published, I doubt that.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2024, 08:33:46 PM »
Given that he had the entire arc of his Dresden books planned out since the first one got published, I doubt that.

A good author always gives himself wiggle room because characters often have a way of taking on a life of their own.  If an author is too wedded to his timeline he often ends up ruining the series.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2024, 08:55:13 PM »
A good author always gives himself wiggle room because characters often have a way of taking on a life of their own.  If an author is too wedded to his timeline he often ends up ruining the series.

Right. But even in the case you posit, Jim clearly decided to bring Murphy back at some point, otherwise there's no point in killing her off to leave a huge "however!" at the end. It basically undermines the drama of the whole plot point just to leave a theoretical "option" Jim would then have decide to use in the future.

To me, that means the point of killing off Murphy at that particular point of the story (which was a bit too soon after she got into a serious relationship with Harry, IMHO) and then adding a clear sign that she'll be back at some point in the future was to transition her into a new role in the group, rather than to just get her out of the story "because Harry must always suffer".
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 10:00:55 PM by magnuskn »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2024, 12:53:37 AM »
But a lot of the details weren't decided in advance.

Waldo Butters was meant to be a 1-use throwaway character, or maybe a very-minor recurring one, not become one of Harry's key allies.

Jim didn't decide (until just beforehand) which of Denarius/Darkhallow/Mantle Harry would pursue when he needed to power-up to get Maggie back.

I'm pretty sure there are other examples, too.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2024, 11:33:42 AM »
I think Jim has hinted that one option for the series is to just wrap things up, particularly if he becomes unable to continue via sickness, etc.  So in that case, Murphy's further story and his plans for her may just not make it into the series.

Jim didn't decide (until just beforehand) which of Denarius/Darkhallow/Mantle Harry would pursue when he needed to power-up to get Maggie back.
Well, Jim could have his cake and eat it too with alternate realities in which he does each of them.  And we may get to see one of those other options in Mirror Mirror or other alternate reality.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2024, 01:56:26 PM »
I think Jim has hinted that one option for the series is to just wrap things up, particularly if he becomes unable to continue via sickness, etc.  So in that case, Murphy's further story and his plans for her may just not make it into the series.

Or fans, be careful for what you wish for, you may get it..  By that I mean, just because Jim says Murphy may be back at some point,I don't think it will be that simple.   It's her, but it isn't her any longer, she is Einherjar now and I doubt that it will be satisfying for either Harry or you.  The Allfather's rules are meant to be a kindness to the living, there is a good reason for them.  Gard accepts those rules and understands them.  If anyone should have pull with Odin, you'd think she'd be one of them.  She did love Hendricks, but she isn't wishing him back.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 09:43:12 PM by Mira »

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2024, 06:05:57 PM »
Hey guys,

I think my last work on the WoJ website was in the period after Skin Game.  I'm not really interested in working on it anymore and sort of gave the keys to Jim's payed assistant, although I think she is part time and I don't think she has the time to work on it to the level I used to either. 

If I ever put any effort into it again it will probably be limited to just collecting links to sources and transcripts out there. 
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2024, 06:11:09 PM »
Hey guys,

I think my last work on the WoJ website was in the period after Skin Game.  I'm not really interested in working on it anymore and sort of gave the keys to Jim's payed assistant, although I think she is part time and I don't think she has the time to work on it to the level I used to either. 

If I ever put any effort into it again it will probably be limited to just collecting links to sources and transcripts out there.
oof, zee King is dead 😞🫡

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2024, 07:49:12 PM »
Hey guys,

You did a great job and I for one thank you for your efforts! :)