Author Topic: WOJ search for Uriel/Odin deal for Murphy.  (Read 5210 times)

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: WOJ search for Uriel/Odin deal for Murphy.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2023, 04:28:23 AM »
I posted on reddit about Vadderung making a deal with Uriel for Murphy but I can't find the WOJ.  Recent WOJ's have seemed hard to find as they aren't in Serack's compilation.  Anyone have that WOJ handy?
go through the actual Jim site to the woj official site. He seems to update it regularly enough it's ahead of the archives here, especially since the links aren't broke there.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2023, 07:02:31 AM »
go through the actual Jim site to the woj official site. He seems to update it regularly enough it's ahead of the archives here, especially since the links aren't broke there.

Everything I've found (with a quick search there) seems to stop in 2018.

When I google-search:
2019 OR 2020 OR 2021 OR 2022 OR 2023 site:wordof.jim-butcher.com
I get nothing

When I add 2017:
2017 OR 2019 OR 2020 OR 2021 OR 2022 OR 2023 site:wordof.jim-butcher.com
I do get results.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2023, 03:24:19 PM »
Might be a whisper thing there's a WOJ about Odin having to make deals with other religions in order to recruit einherjaar.

WOJ:"No not really. They can get roped into it. I mean if they've already got a claim somewhere else that's different. In which case Odin has to make a deal of some kind, it's like "I know you had plans for this guy and all Anubis but I really need him for the rest of the mortals" and that's the kind of thing that can happen. Very confused people occasionally wake up in Valhalla.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2023, 04:01:59 PM »
Actually... unless there's a new one, the above reminded me of one mentioning Murphy and how she got to be with Odin despite her traditional Catholic heritage. Is that the one you're thinking of?

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2023, 03:33:36 PM »
... one mentioning Murphy and how she got to be with Odin despite her traditional Catholic heritage ...

Hmmm....?
Can you re-find that one, perchance?

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2023, 12:09:43 AM »
Might be a whisper thing there's a WOJ about Odin having to make deals with other religions in order to recruit einherjaar.

WOJ:"No not really. They can get roped into it. I mean if they've already got a claim somewhere else that's different. In which case Odin has to make a deal of some kind, it's like "I know you had plans for this guy and all Anubis but I really need him for the rest of the mortals" and that's the kind of thing that can happen. Very confused people occasionally wake up in Valhalla.

Thank you so much. I knew there was something like that out there and was frustrated that I couldn't find it.  Perhaps I extrapolated that WOJ to the case for Murphy. 

Also Sibellis, your reference is what I had remembered and why  I posted this topic looking for that exact one.  I'm thinking there is good reason to think there actually is a WOJ about Murphy's catholic heritage and the afterlife.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 12:12:19 AM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2023, 03:41:50 PM »

One wonders if Murphy made herself vulnerable to be taken by Odin when she spent so much time
training with the Einherjaar.  After she left the police force she was adrift.  After Harry seemingly died I think she also became disillusioned about her faith, she seemed to have found a purpose when she started doing some work with Odin.  If she hadn't been dismissed from the police force and had remained a practicing Catholic I doubt she would have woken up in Valhalla.   

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2023, 07:34:04 PM »
... One wonders if Murphy made herself vulnerable to be taken by Odin when she spent so much time
training with the Einherjaar.  After she left the police force she was adrift.  After Harry seemingly died I think she also became disillusioned about her faith, she seemed to have found a purpose when she started doing some work with Odin.  If she hadn't been dismissed from the police force and had remained a practicing Catholic I doubt she would have woken up in Valhalla.

I think this is part of Uriel and/or Odin pulling another fast one.

As part of Uriel's "spook squad" (running under her dad's office), she gets to work directly against the plans of the Fallen, in realtime/now, without waiting for the Einherjar "beyond living memory" to kick in.

But as one of Odin's soldiers... well, as it happens, she gets that shiny new Einherjar body.

Odin and Uriel roll their eyes helplessly and go "Mortals, sheesh... wotcha gonna do?"
(ya gotta use your imagination to see the wink&nod passing between them... but it's there)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2023, 07:55:14 PM »
I think this is part of Uriel and/or Odin pulling another fast one.

As part of Uriel's "spook squad" (running under her dad's office), she gets to work directly against the plans of the Fallen, in realtime/now, without waiting for the Einherjar "beyond living memory" to kick in.

But as one of Odin's soldiers... well, as it happens, she gets that shiny new Einherjar body.

Odin and Uriel roll their eyes helplessly and go "Mortals, sheesh... wotcha gonna do?"
(ya gotta use your imagination to see the wink&nod passing between them... but it's there)

I suppose.... The lengths some authors will go to turn an otherwise strong female character into a superhero.. ::)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2023, 03:49:52 AM »
I suppose.... The lengths some authors will go to turn an otherwise strong female character into a superhero.. ::) 

At the level of power happening in the DF series at this point, all the viable characters are "superheroes."

Mortals aren't gonna survive, in the field in close proximity to Dresden; even the Alpha's are deprecated, now...

But I got no problem with that evolution of Murphy, if that's how(ish) Jim writes it.  Give Murphy some supernatural agency, threading the Odin+Uriel needle... hell yeah!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 03:51:52 AM by g33k »

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2023, 02:28:48 AM »
I posted on reddit about Vadderung making a deal with Uriel for Murphy but I can't find the WOJ.  Recent WOJ's have seemed hard to find as they aren't in Serack's compilation.  Anyone have that WOJ handy?

Uriel is charged with preserving the free will of independent entities.  There is no way “making a deal” with Odin squares with that duty without Murphy signing off in advance.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2023, 04:09:01 AM »
Uriel is charged with preserving the free will of independent entities.  There is no way “making a deal” with Odin squares with that duty without Murphy signing off in advance.

Which means if she hasn't, her free will has been violated, doesn't it?  Though she could very well have agreed to it to stay in the fight.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2023, 07:44:10 AM »
I have a headcannon Murphy briefly reunited with her dad Papa Jack Murphy at his Ghost Squad. Tearful reunification followed by offering her a choice; Become Einherjaar, stay and fight in his Ghost squad or move on.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2023, 09:58:55 AM »
Which means if she hasn't, her free will has been violated, doesn't it?  Though she could very well have agreed to it to stay in the fight.

Yes.  But I’m trying to square that choice with Murphy’s devout faith.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2023, 01:39:32 PM »
Yes.  But I’m trying to square that choice with Murphy’s devout faith.

She had just as much devout faith in being a cop, but she compromised on that alot in Ghost Story and beyond.

Uriel and Vadderung are colleagues. If an Archangel tells someone whose devout that she'd still be fighting the good fight. Thats the next best thing from mission from God. Which she already turned down when she didn't pick up the Sword.

Murphy had been working with and alongside Einherjaar for awhile. She has respect for them as warriors. Besides I doubt she'd just serve blindly faithful.

I think there actually *is* a WOJ about her being a pain to Vadderung same way Harry is to Mab. iirc.