Author Topic: Book of Kremmler  (Read 3891 times)

Offline MoroccoMole

• Participant
    • View Profile
Book of Kremmler
« on: September 10, 2023, 05:21:44 AM »
Does Harry still have the perfect recall that Lash gave him to be able to create the DarkHallow?  Since she's been gone, does he still have that capability?
I like a man who grins when he fights.

~Winston Churchill On Enthusiasm~

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Book of Kremmler
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 11:08:32 AM »
He understood the principles and found it simple, he therefore doesn’t need perfect recall.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 05:07:08 PM »
The real question is Does Bonea have it? We know that Evil Bob does as that was the thing that caused his creation.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 05:12:34 PM by vincentric »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 06:23:09 PM »
Simple answer, yes Lash was in Harry when he read the Word, and all memories lash and Harry were passed to Bonea.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 06:44:50 PM »
Does Harry still have the perfect recall that Lash gave him to be able to create the DarkHallow?  Since she's been gone, does he still have that capability?

WoJ is that, until very-late in the series, he wasn't in fact clear whether Harry was going to power-up (to save Maggie from the Reds) via Darkhallow, via Denarian Coin, or by becoming  the Winter Knight.

Jim himself therefore thinks it plausible that Harry still knows either of those Lash-given bits of info...  But Jim hasn't actually written (it that way, or any other way)!  Because WoJ is also that he has -- across drafts &c -- written and re-written so many features so many times, that he sometimes doesn't remember which version actually became "canon."

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 06:50:02 PM »
Simple answer, yes Lash was in Harry when he read the Word, and all memories lash and Harry were passed to Bonea.
Has WoJ ever established that Bonea knows everything Lash knew?
I have always presumed that the stress of the psychic assault had actually destroyed some info.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 09:25:12 AM »
A spirit of intellect knows everything the parents did, the problem though is rationally accessing that knowledge and applying it to the real world. Pancakes are the obvious example.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 12:54:44 PM »
A spirit of intellect knows everything the parents did...

I understand your assertion.
I just don't recall any WoJ saying this unambiguously.

As a presumption... it seems to me that it's actually highly-unikely that the violence of an outsider-fueled psychic assault (sufficient to destroy the work of an Angel, albeit a fallen one) allowed 100% of the knowledge to transfer (q.v. "destroy the work of an Angel," i.e. the knowledge-transfer).

Maybe you're correct; but AFAIK, this premise is just another fannish WAG.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 05:39:12 PM »
WoJ is that, until very-late in the series, he wasn't in fact clear whether Harry was going to power-up (to save Maggie from the Reds) via Darkhallow, via Denarian Coin, or by becoming  the Winter Knight.

Jim himself therefore thinks it plausible that Harry still knows either of those Lash-given bits of info...  But Jim hasn't actually written (it that way, or any other way)!  Because WoJ is also that he has -- across drafts &c -- written and re-written so many features so many times, that he sometimes doesn't remember which version actually became "canon."

In Changes I believe Harry goes over his options, Darkhallow is one of the things he mentions as an option, so one can assume he still knows how to do it... On the other hand he also mentions calling up Lasciel's coin and I don't think he still had access to it at that point.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2023, 10:38:45 PM »
... On the other hand he also mentions calling up Lasciel's coin and I don't think he still had access to it at that point.

The case could be argued either way.
Lash  (and Lasciel's Shadow) clearly knew how to do it...  and Lash "left behind" a musical gift; that could have been Jim foreshadowing of other things Harry "inherited" (or, not).

Harry certainly *claimed* (to Mab) that he had the Denarian option available, and earlier we know (from the Cold Days flashback) that neither he nor Molly thought he had the poker face to bluff Mab.  So I'm inclined to think he still knew how to summon the Blackened Denarius.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2023, 01:00:00 PM »
The case could be argued either way.
Lash  (and Lasciel's Shadow) clearly knew how to do it...  and Lash "left behind" a musical gift; that could have been Jim foreshadowing of other things Harry "inherited" (or, not).

Harry certainly *claimed* (to Mab) that he had the Denarian option available, and earlier we know (from the Cold Days flashback) that neither he nor Molly thought he had the poker face to bluff Mab.  So I'm inclined to think he still knew how to summon the Blackened Denarius.

The problem I have with that is why then did Lasciel seek revenge by influencing Harry to kill himself rather than convince him that the coin was the answer?  I think he either couldn't or his rejection of the coin was so complete, that even if he could it was a bluff.  Mab would know he wasn't serious about either summoning a coin or calling up the Darkhallow.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2023, 02:07:44 PM »
The problem I have with that is why then did Lasciel seek revenge by influencing Harry to kill himself rather than convince him that the coin was the answer?
She already HAD a host that she liked, in Hannah Asher.  Strong fire-sorceror (even stronger than Harry, at least with fire) more-easily manipulated & controlled.

Lasciel had already invested all the time she could afford to waste, with on Harry.  One of the repeating cluebats (that the Dresdenverse is beating Harry with) is that there isn't much time left; even the millennia-long perspectives of the Fallen are being compressed and rushed.  Lasciel cannot afford to be side-tracked from the bigger apocalyptic game with another long slow attempt at tempting Harry (likely-enough another failed attempt).

Last but not least, Lasciel said it herself:  "Hell hath no fury like..."

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2023, 02:13:32 PM »
Harry didn't want to summon the Coin or perform a Darkhallow unless he had no option left. He went through his choices of powerups in what he considered the least evil option order. So, Uriel first, then Mab and we don't know what would have been next, though I suspect the Coin before the Darkhallow, because Mab stepped up.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 08:17:43 PM by vincentric »

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2023, 06:01:23 PM »
Harry didn't want to summon the Coin or perform a Darkhallow unless he had no option left. He went through his choices of powerups in what he considered the least evil option order. So, Uriel first, then Mab and we don't know what would have been next though I suspect the Coin before the Darkhallow because Mab stepped up.

Exactly

She already HAD a host that she liked, in Hannah Asher.  Strong fire-sorceror (even stronger than Harry, at least with fire) more-easily manipulated & controlled.
We don't know that she had a Host at that point.  If Hannah at that point was her host, would she have been free to torment Harry?  I don't think Hannah without Lasciel's help would have been stronger in fire than Harry.. And in the end Harry applied a little fire himself to the rock ceiling, melted it enough to fall upon her head and bury her.
Lasciel had already invested all the time she could afford to waste, with on Harry.  One of the repeating cluebats (that the Dresdenverse is beating Harry with) is that there isn't much time left; even the millennia-long perspectives of the Fallen are being compressed and rushed.  Lasciel cannot afford to be side-tracked from the bigger apocalyptic game with another long slow attempt at tempting Harry (likely-enough another failed attempt).

Possible
Last but not least, Lasciel said it herself:  "Hell hath no fury like..."
Yup..

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2023, 01:49:56 AM »
... We don't know that she had a Host at that point...

No, you're right.  I was conflating another moment.
It's always possible that Hannah was lying, but she claimed (during the duel in Hades' vault) that (as of Changes) she was actually allied with the Order of St.Giles and "fighting the good fight."  Part of what turned her to despair & picking up Lasciel's denarius was watching all her new friends and allies get destroyed by the Blood-Curse ritual.

... I don't think Hannah without Lasciel's help would have been stronger in fire than Harry ...
According to Harry, I think she was.

She was known to the Wardens as a dangerous, combat-heavy fire-mage.
Every warden who went after her would have been prepped accordingly.
But she took down multiple fire-prepped wardens with just fire-magic.

A big part of what makes Harry so dangerous is that he's got so many arrows in his quiver.  Fire mage, air mage, force/telekinesis mage, potion-maker, vulcanomancy... necromancy!  And serious sideline-talents with earth-magic, water-magic (per WoJ, I don't think we've seen it in the books).  Savvy-enough and strong-enough to disrupt the workings of Entropy-mages.

Hannah Ascher is a MUCH less robust target than Harry Dresden!
And yet -- just with fire-magic -- she was able to take down warden after warden.

Harry could have done it, likely.  But not if they knew ahead of time what kind of magic he'd use...