Author Topic: Dabble Interview 23 August 2023  (Read 7155 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dabble Interview 23 August 2023
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2023, 11:23:44 PM »
I don't know if in the case of inheritance of talent that it can't both follow science and magic at the same time...
Sometimes, as Harry tells us, magic has to "do business with" physics (or science, generally).
It's possible there are no "laws of magic" that violate any of the laws of science, insofar as power/talent inheritance goes... It might just be pure genetics, epigenetics, etc.

We *do* know (per WoJ) that magic power can fade, and with it the chance to pass it along.  Molly (Charity's firstborn) inherited power from her mother, but (because Charity stopped using her (never strong) power) her younger kids have no such potential.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2023, 11:26:47 PM »
Twas happening before my mentioned statement. Specifically to you. 🤔
I'm not a genius, but if ignoring actual conversational hooks(repetitively) unless stated by another is 'disengaging', directly replying to a nonstarter is definitely not.
Unless intentional rudeness is meant by it, I'm not sure where my comment differs except the stressing of the mortal differential. After all, Charity is Mortal too.

Offline LaraBeck

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2023, 11:30:43 PM »
Many of us (including me) vastly prefer to read, than be read-to.

Spending $5 on a single short already looks like an expensive way to get our Dresden fix... further reducing the value by making it an audio-only format is ... well... it's insult to injury, honestly.

It's not audio-only, it's a on book (text) format on kindle, audio on audible.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2023, 03:30:19 AM »
It's not audio-only, it's a on book (text) format on kindle, audio on audible.

??!?   :o
TYVM, have looked and not seen it.

I obviously need to go look again!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2023, 05:30:15 AM »
Sometimes, as Harry tells us, magic has to "do business with" physics (or science, generally).
It's possible there are no "laws of magic" that violate any of the laws of science, insofar as power/talent inheritance goes... It might just be pure genetics, epigenetics, etc.

We *do* know (per WoJ) that magic power can fade, and with it the chance to pass it along.  Molly (Charity's firstborn) inherited power from her mother, but (because Charity stopped using her (never strong) power) her younger kids have no such potential.

Yeah, Charity came to mind when I wrote my reply, but since I was writing about talent genes I left her out.  Whether her talent faded for lack of use or not, that still doesn't preclude her from carrying it and passing on the gene for talent.  I think it very possible that all of Charity's kids inherited talent from their mom, but nothing out of the ordinary, or like their mom they chose not to pursue it.  In general though I think that the laws of genetics do apply in inheriting magical talent like most things.  However it doesn't explain a lot of things, as in two very ordinary parents can produce a genius and two other very ordinary kids, that's the magical intangibles that still aren't fully understood in fantasy or real life.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 01:27:56 PM by Mira »

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2023, 01:47:34 PM »
Many of us (including me) vastly prefer to read, than be read-to.

Spending $5 on a single short already looks like an expensive way to get our Dresden fix... further reducing the value by making it an audio-only format is ... well... it's insult to injury, honestly.

My copy is not audio-only. I don't do audio books.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2023, 02:28:20 PM »
... I think it very possible that all of Charity's kids inherited talent from their mom, but nothing out of the ordinary, or like their mom they chose not to pursue it...
Word of Jim says otherwise.
None of the younger kids have any power, specifically because Charity was abstaining from magic use.

Now, this still follows "natural" law, the "rule of science:"  epigenetics is the study of how genes express, of how  environmental/dietary/etc factors alter the expression of genes.  It'd be unsurprising if active magic were an epigenetic factor (raising the question of whether just "hanging out with" a very-actively practicing wizard, or having lots of spells cast upon you, could activate latent genes).

But it also doesn't rule out supernatural law(s) that might override "natural law" in some magical way(s).

We don't have any canonical or WoJ info on this, AFAIK.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2023, 03:40:41 PM »
None of the younger kids have any power, specifically because Charity was abstaining from magic use.

I haven't seen that, but then I don't keep up with WOJs that much so I take your word on that.

Now, this still follows "natural" law, the "rule of science:"  epigenetics is the study of how genes express, of how  environmental/dietary/etc factors alter the expression of genes.  It'd be unsurprising if active magic were an epigenetic factor (raising the question of whether just "hanging out with" a very-actively practicing wizard, or having lots of spells cast upon you, could activate latent genes).

That's one of the unexplained things in both magic and science.  As in how is it that a very gifted child in any field turn up in a very ordinary family with no family history of gifted and talented people, or interest in the field the child is so gifted in..  What is more, two geniuses marry and have children who share none of their parent's gifts.  It can get really complicated with exceptions that can prove or disprove almost every rule.  So I think Jim is on pretty safe ground no matter how he chooses or has Harry explain it.
But it also doesn't rule out supernatural law(s) that might override "natural law" in some magical way(s).
No, it doesn't, but Harry saying the talent is usually passed down through the female line doesn't dispute either natural law or supernatural law from the information we have gotten so far.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2023, 11:51:16 AM »
How do you know it doesn't have a double meaning? Jim might be creative...
lol, I mean. I assume it does but haven't sussed out how, that and woj is we don't know all the details just what Dresden understands from his perspective on this.