Author Topic: Dabble Interview 23 August 2023  (Read 7114 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dabble Interview 23 August 2023
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2023, 01:58:08 AM »
Somehow I don't see Red Court vampires as very supernatural, or not in the same way as magical talent is supernatural...

???!?

They are supernaturally-strong.
They are supernaturally-tough.
They are supernaturally-vulnerable to sunlight.
They are inherently-able to summon an ectoplasmic "flesh mask" from the Nevernever.
This seems... passably "supernatural" in nature.

A well-prepared wizard is usually superior to a Rampire, of course.

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2023, 06:00:40 AM »
Well, yes, but it's a different type of "supernatural." Red vamps aren't human anymore, where a wizard is kind of "human with an upgrade." And half-Ramps like Susan are caught halfway between human and other... or maybe just frozen mid-transition. It's been a long time since I've read the earlier books, but if I'm remembering right, Susan only had partial Ramp abilities, and she was still human enough to have a child. So she wasn't fully supernatural before she turned... yet she wasn't 100% typical human either. 🤷‍♀️
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2023, 10:34:20 AM »
Well, yes, but it's a different type of "supernatural." Red vamps aren't human anymore, where a wizard is kind of "human with an upgrade." And half-Ramps like Susan are caught halfway between human and other... or maybe just frozen mid-transition. It's been a long time since I've read the earlier books, but if I'm remembering right, Susan only had partial Ramp abilities, and she was still human enough to have a child. So she wasn't fully supernatural before she turned... yet she wasn't 100% typical human either. 🤷‍♀️

Exactly, before she was infected she was 100% vanilla human, if she had talent it was of the ordinary kind like Butters when we first meet him..

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2023, 03:33:41 PM »
Exactly, before she was infected she was 100% vanilla human, if she had talent it was of the ordinary kind like Butters when we first meet him..

Yes, but we are led to believe by the books that Susan didn't become pregnant until after she was infected. So Maggie is the child of a wizard and a quasi-ramp. If she has any magical potential, then Chichen Itza may have activated it early.

Offline cander891

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2023, 04:01:02 PM »
Well, yes, but it's a different type of "supernatural."

This really goes into an idea I've been playing with in my head where I classify things in the Dresden verse as a Being, Creature, or Mantle. I'd put vampires as creatures, whereas Odin is a Being, and Kringle, the queens, and the Knight are mantles. I have a long draft of a post I am working on for the topic.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2023, 08:51:59 PM »
Well, yes, but it's a different type of "supernatural."
I'm... honestly unclear what you mean.  I don't think "a different type of supernatural" is all that meaningful, in the Dresdenverse.

One can dice it finely:  point to faeries as one type (or several, mincing finer than we diced), and ghosts as another type, ghouls as a type, etc etc etc.

I don't see anything about Rampires that silo's them uniquely into a "different type" from any of those many other different types.

Red vamps aren't human anymore, where a wizard is kind of "human with an upgrade." And half-Ramps like Susan are caught halfway between human and other... or maybe just frozen mid-transition.
A half-ramp is arguably also kind of a "human with an upgrade!" ;D

A Ramp-attack infects the victim with a "Rampire Spirit," more or less.  It seems to be a psychic version of what a Tarantula-wasp (or a xenomorph from Alien) does.  Until the victim kills somebody (and the spirit hatches) they are still essentially human.

It's been a long time since I've read the earlier books, but if I'm remembering right, Susan only had partial Ramp abilities
Physically, Susan was able to go toe-to-toe in combat with a full Rampire; half-ramp speed & strength was 100% of full-ramp speed & strength.  Her narcotic/addictive pleasure-saliva wasn't as potent as a full Ramp, but it was strong.  She was much much tougher than a human, but not as tough as a Ramp (a hollowpoint round to the heart would kill her instantly, but a Rampire could recover).

Basically, she had most of the Rampire power-ups, but not the immunities (nor the weaknesses -- a deep gut-wound would take the Ramp's blood reservoir; but Susan could regenerate from almost any wound that left her alive (if she could get a little bit of blood)).

The half-Ramp's also have the horrible blood-lust of the Rampire-larva to contend with, and violence (or violent emotions (including erotic desire)) can make that much worse.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2023, 02:20:28 AM »
In response to those thinking that we'll see Murphy,  ...lips,  turning blue... ...blood, on the asphalt... , shake it off, in Twelve Months, except for passages like that, which should decrease as the book progresses, I don't think we will.  I maintain that she'll have a significant role in Mirror Mirror,  where she does her best to take Harry down.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2023, 09:07:10 AM »
I suspect Harry will bring at least one person back with him from Mirror,  Mirror but NOT Murphy, no quick resurrections. . I rather think given Journal it will be Morgan still alive in MM as he can fill in part of Harry’s story, enemy becomes friend is a trope Jim has yet to use.

All Einenjharen are deployed at Ragnarok (which is likely to be the BAT) where Odin dies taking the Einenjharen with him. Harry gets to see Murphy die AGAIN. However we know successful resurrection requires soul fire so Harry can bring he back and she would live until Harry dies, solving the aging problem. A much more satisfying arc (for Jim).

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2023, 04:46:04 PM »
I suspect Harry will bring at least one person back with him from Mirror,  Mirror but NOT Murphy, no quick resurrections. . I rather think given Journal it will be Morgan still alive in MM as he can fill in part of Harry’s story, enemy becomes friend is a trope Jim has yet to use.

All Einenjharen are deployed at Ragnarok (which is likely to be the BAT) where Odin dies taking the Einenjharen with him. Harry gets to see Murphy die AGAIN. However we know successful resurrection requires soul fire so Harry can bring he back and she would live until Harry dies, solving the aging problem. A much more satisfying arc (for Jim).

However Harry isn't divine, I don't think even angels have the power to resurrect, there are rules about that.  No, it is more like Murphy will be a figure that Jim will torture the readers with until the series ends..  Also you have to ask yourself , Murphy as a Einenjharen may seem satisfactory for Harry, but if she is altered, will it?  More importantly, Murphy was a woman of faith, her reward should have been a ticket to Heaven, maybe she won't be happy chugging ale in Valhalla.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2023, 07:04:50 PM »
All of the Einenjharen are resurrected and Odin has Soulfire  which is a gift of the White God according to a WOJ. If you are resurrected you will be fighting for the White God. Harry isn’t divine but he has access to a divine source of power.

My theory is the Blamps are an attempt to resurrect without Soulfire.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2023, 02:30:30 PM »
  However Harry isn't divine, I don't think even angels have the power to resurrect, there are rules about that ...
Oh, angels have the power to do it.
But, as you say:  there are rules about that!   ;)

... Murphy was a woman of faith, her reward should have been a ticket to Heaven ...
I am suspecting some sort of Uriel/Odin backroom deal, here.
Same way Uriel's "cops" in the afterlife "precinct" are still busily involved in mortal affairs -- not ready to move on to "what comes next" -- I think Murphy may not be ready.  But also:  Chosen by a valkyrie, eligible for the einherjaren status.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2023, 06:40:57 PM »
I am suspecting some sort of Uriel/Odin backroom deal, here.
Same way Uriel's "cops" in the afterlife "precinct" are still busily involved in mortal affairs -- not ready to move on to "what comes next" -- I think Murphy may not be ready.  But also:  Chosen by a valkyrie, eligible for the einherjaren status.

You could be right about that, but if she isn't ready to move on, I doubt that she would have been unhappy working with her father for Uriel.  I still think even though she was chosen by a valkyrie and future einherjaren, it conflicts with her faith.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2023, 07:25:30 PM »
Murphy is probably in time out in Valhalla, watching the Einenjharen eat the boar which comes back to life each day, loudly complaining that she would rather have a nice healthy chicken salad.

I don’t think it conflicts with her faith she was chosen by Saint Nicholas for this role, and does not mean that she is denied heaven, merely diverted until Ragnarok, when she dies with Odin (unless Harry resurrects her again). I suspect Harry has been dwelling on how Einenjharen are resurrected, and doubtless will be seeking further info from his new bodyguard. Freydis probably doesn’t know Harry has Soulfire, and may let drop that Odin does and it is essential for this type of resurrection.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2023, 07:58:46 PM »
You could be right about that, but if she isn't ready to move on, I doubt that she would have been unhappy working with her father for Uriel.  I still think even though she was chosen by a valkyrie and future einherjaren, it conflicts with her faith.
I can really see Murphy looking at the kinds of limitations Uriel puts on his operatives, and asking if he doesn't have anything with a bit more "kicking monsters' asses" involved in the duties.
"I know a guy..." sez Uriel.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2023, 08:09:19 PM »
I can really see Murphy looking at the kinds of limitations Uriel puts on his operatives, and asking if he doesn't have anything with a bit more "kicking monsters' asses" involved in the duties.
"I know a guy..." sez Uriel.

This.

Murphy was a cop and she was a good one. That meant she had to follow all the rules about use of force and rights of the accused even when she knew she was facing the guilty.

Being able to just go out and curb stomp baddies from the get-go would be like heaven to her.